Thread: '07 530xi doesn't want to drive.

My Cars
    '07 530 xi

'07 530xi doesn't want to drive.

My car doesn't want to even roll. I let up off the brakes but the brakes are still applied so the car doesn't move. I press on the gas and the car is fighting to stop. Once I let off the gas the car will come to a complete stop, little by little.

I had stock wheels on until about a month ago. Put on 235/45 18 all around. Not BMW rims and the tire guy kept insisting I don't need to do anything to these rims - spacers or anything. I was driving and immediately noticed a knocking - not scraping - sound whenever I turned hard or hit a little bump. I also noticed creaking whenever I turn or hit a bump in the road. This is when I started noticing the car not wanting to drive after pressing on the brakes.

Could it be the wheels or is it the caliper or something else? If it's not the wheels then would putting on new wheels create this problem or at least make it obvious? I never had this issue prior to the new wheels so I don't know what to think.

Thanks for any help!

2007 530xi with 105k miles on it. Had it for a year now.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    There has to be an issue with the wheel itself or the install or something else completely. The size isn't really a factor, as spacing and clearance should be fine. I would take it to a shop to diagnose, as it sounds very odd that this would happen after changing the rims where the braking system is touched - there seems to be a much bigger issue here.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '07 530 xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    There has to be an issue with the wheel itself or the install or something else completely. The size isn't really a factor, as spacing and clearance should be fine. I would take it to a shop to diagnose, as it sounds very odd that this would happen after changing the rims where the braking system is touched - there seems to be a much bigger issue here.
    I’m going in the morning. Hopefully nothing crazy.

My Cars
    '07 530 xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    This ended up being the brake calipers going bad...just I don’t know why it happened just after getting new wheels. Maybe just a coincidence! Left brake calipers was bad and clamping on the rotor so I couldn’t drive.