Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: About to go crazy! S.O.S help me

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Occurs to me we didn't mention O2 sensors. For sure a bad primary O2 can cause issues like this.

However it would be unusual for left/right bank sensors to fail at exactly the same time and give multiple random / all cylinder misfires.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    I'm trying to think of steps that could have been messed up in the trans re-install. Could they have swapped O2 sensor cables (it happens)? Could the crank position sensor not be properly shimmed (assuming a 540 auto needs that)? Are there any manifold related gaskets on the rear of the engine that can be accidentally pinched but hard to check? I too suspect a vacuum leak, perhaps in some spot that's not readily accessible after the trans was reinstalled....

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I'd like to see the actual fuel trim numbers, not just someone saying they are perfect......as they usually can vary quite a bit and still not throw codes.
    You said the valve timing was adjusted, did they remove the valve covers and upper timing covers when they did this? You should ask them how they did this.
    How many miles on the engine?
    Have the chain guides ever been replaced?
    The tranny shouldn't have anything to do with your problem.

As the others have said a smoke test would be the next thing to do. Someone there must be capable of building a paint can smoke machine.

My Cars
    00 540_6
    a little check for you to do on your own
    get a spray bottle and put soapy water in it. with the engine running spray the soapy water mixture a small area at a time all over the engine ( vacuum leaks will create bubbles)
    if you dont believe that then go with the flammable throttle body or brake cleaner, and a vacuum leak will result in the rpm's rising.

No mechanic charges for that easy check, and you can take it back and make them fix it since they "checked" already.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    I'd like to see the actual fuel trim numbers, not just someone saying they are perfect......
    Totally agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by toybreaker View Post
    get a spray bottle and put soapy water in it. with the engine running spray the soapy water mixture a small area at a time all over the engine ( vacuum leaks will create bubbles)
    if you dont believe that then go with the flammable throttle body or brake cleaner, and a vacuum leak will result in the rpm's rising.

No mechanic charges for that easy check, and you can take it back and make them fix it since they "checked" already.
    i use soapy water on compressed air and stuff all the time but not sure how you get to see the bubbles inside under vacuum. Propane torches or brake cleaner or whatever works tho.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Thank you all for the suggestions. We've tried most of the things and I even tried to explain the things we haven't tried yet to my mechanic but he's just not able to comprehend any further diagnosing methods you guys are telling me.

Anyway, I give up. Tomorrow I will be taking the car to the BMW dealer. It's not like the dealers in USA, here it's different. It's like the headquarters of BMW in my country, they have all the necessary equipment to solve the problems and are in direct contact with Germany in case they need to ask some technical stuff. Well... I will be robbed for sure, but I have no patience left. I'll report if they can find the issue and fix it.
    Last edited by TiesTorN; 07-25-2017 at 05:26 PM.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;

What??? A vacuum pulls in. A vacuum leak will suck the soapy water in - not make bubbles.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    What??? A vacuum pulls in. A vacuum leak will suck the soapy water in - not make bubbles.
    Hehe! Dude's got a point...
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1999 540i
    It'll make bubbles on the inside.............. Then you find 'em with your bore scope......

My Cars
    SpecE46, '98 540i Ind
    check for clogged catalytic converter...don't ask me how I know. Do they rattle?
    Brian

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

^This is incorrect. A vacuum leak will NOT create bubbles. That test is for inflatables i.e. tires, balloons, etc. because the internal pressure will cause the air to leak OUT, which creates bubbles. A vacuum leak sucks air in, which will NOT create bubbles (at least on the outside)...

The reasoning for spraying a liquid over a vacuum leak is that the liquid will temporarily seal the leak, which is the reason for an increase or stabilizing of the rpm's...anyone wanna back me up on that???

EDIT: Best vacuum leak test uses smoke...
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 08-01-2017 at 05:54 AM.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by TiesTorN View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions. We've tried most of the things and I even tried to explain the things we haven't tried yet to my mechanic but he's just not able to comprehend any further diagnosing methods you guys are telling me.

Anyway, I give up. Tomorrow I will be taking the car to the BMW dealer. It's not like the dealers in USA, here it's different. It's like the headquarters of BMW in my country, they have all the necessary equipment to solve the problems and are in direct contact with Germany in case they need to ask some technical stuff. Well... I will be robbed for sure, but I have no patience left. I'll report if they can find the issue and fix it.
    So what's the verdict?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by nikh23 View Post
    So what's the verdict?
    even they couldn't find it yet still diagnosing...

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    lol... they gave up. they are like "we can't find the issue, we need to start trial & error method and swap parts one by one to diagnose, but we don't have the parts in stock and we need to order them so we need to bill you the parts we have ordered.... and so on, and so on..."

well... in short; I said f. off and took my car.

I'll be driving it like this for a while, I'm so tired of this bs, need to take a break.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Not surprised at all. Few dealerships rank up there for master-tech brilliance.

To re-iterate a couple of good suggestions that still stand:
    - Use INPA on the car and check/report fuel trims and other sensor readings
    - Perhaps obtain a homebrew smoke tester and see if something is revealed
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Your symptoms perfectly describe clogged cats. Are you ABSOLUTELY certain that there is no exhaust OBSTRUCTION?
    Was this originally just a transmission REPAIR or transmission SWAP?
    Are all PRE and POST cat sensors installed and functioning properly?
    These are just random questions that I haven't seen answered, and could quite possibly be a clue to a diagnosis.

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    well your question is actually answered in the first post. cats are removed. sensors are there and functioning properly.

transmission was repaired with a repair kit.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well.

We asked repeatedly about trims and sensor readings and all you've said is "the guys who don't have a clue say everything is perfect so it must be".

I think many of us would like that confirmed.

Most dealership techs are utter and complete crap with intelligent use of intelligent diagnostic tools (aka they can't imagine going beyond "derrrrr plug computer in. do what it says") and don't have the experience / brain-cells to do stuff like "oh looking at the raw MAF sensor / O2 / coolant temp / rectal thermometer reading, I know from experience that is NOT a proper reading, even though there's no code at the moment..." The official dealerships don't even use the more 'raw' tools, they just teach the guys to use the "make computer read car and give instructions" software.

INPA + a cable is cheap as dirt on eBay, and is handy and fun to own and have anyway. Get on it.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    the problem was I didn't have access to my car as it was staying in auto service shops. I already have cable and inpa software. now that I have my car, I can check fuel trims
    Last edited by TiesTorN; 08-04-2017 at 10:30 AM.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Yes, I read that, that is why I ask if there is a possibility of any other obstruction in the exhaust system, not the cats.
    o2 sensors were never mentioned in original post , is why I asked.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by TiesTorN View Post
    the problem was I didn't have access to my car as it was staying in auto service shops. I already have cable and inpa software. now that I have my car, I can check fuel trims
    Excellent. Read codes, check trims, read Analog Status of all the stuff mentioned above and more while the car is running. Be sure not to clear codes first as that may reset adaptations.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    umm.. actually.. about that can you tell me what I need to do exactly? I'm not good at using this inpa software. I mostly use it only for checking codes.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Check out this simple, quick tutorial:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wafhZWD0aDs

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Yes, I read that, that is why I ask if there is a possibility of any other obstruction in the exhaust system, not the cats.
    you know what... you are absolutely right. car's symptoms are exactly like the exhaust is clogged. we removed cats but never checked if exhaust system is clogged or not. I'll have it checked first thing in the morning. (time is 8.46 pm here right now)

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    If you think the CAT's are the problem you could always unbolt the exhaust pipes from the Pre-CAT on each side. Use something to hold the exhaust pipe up (wire, etc) then take it for a ride and see how it runs above 3500RPM.
    It's going to be NASCAR loud but at least you'll know if the CAT's are clogged or not.

Edit...
    Didn't know you have removed the CAT's.
    Last edited by JimLev; 08-04-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast