Thread: 2009 128i - looking for advice. do i keep or sell?

My Cars
    2009 128i

Smile 2009 128i - looking for advice. do i keep or sell?

I have a 2009 128i. It only has 45k miles on it, but I am thinking of selling it or trading it in for a new car. This is my first car so apologies in advance for needing advice on this.
    The reasons I am thinking of getting a new car are -
    1. I would love updated car features. I feel like 2009 just missed out on some nav and safety features.
    2. I am worried about repair costs starting to hit me. I had to get the driver side and the passenger side window regulator replaced. I had an oil pan gasket leak. At a different shop than my regular, they told me my engine block is collapsing. My normal shop said that is like a year off and not to worry. I had to replace the third brake light. Lots of little things seem to go wrong in this model.
    3. I have never loved the power of the AC on this car and LA is hot!!!

So the advice I need is whether it sounds like it is time to move on and if I should sell it or trade it in. I know selling it myself is better, but I don't know much about cars. I also don't know what to say the condition of the car is. It looks pretty good with barely any dings or scratches (except the bumper paint is peeling and scratched). I haven't kept records of the repairs. From KBB, it looks like I could get $8k-$10k for the car. Does that sound right? I also know that this is an "enthusiasts" so maybe it has some value because it is low mileage that I don't know about. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! I have a 2008 135i so I understand the little things that you're going through - though I haven't heard of the specific issues that you're having. All in all, it sounds like you're not too thrilled with the car; so maybe trade it in for another BMW if you're going that route. Just know that the major changes for the 1 and 3 series happened around 2011; so something from then on should be a good fit for you. At 45k miles, you're in a good position to get a good value for it. Just my 2 cents...best of luck!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '11 328xiT, '01 525iT
    Can you be more specific about the "engine block collapsing"? I'm calling BS on the shop for that statement. Nav was available on the 128s with the iDrive, but you're right, without it, the car seems dated. I just picked up a '12 convertible and it's the base model. For me, this is great, pretty easy stuff to work on. Window regulators have always been a soft spot on the BMWs, that and cooling issues. As for selling and buying another car? Well, you just repaired some items on the car, so you should be good to go for a while. Buying another car doesn't automatically mean more reliable, that depends on what you buy. It also means getting a new loan unless you're fortunate enough to have cash on hand. Buying a car is always a personal choice. If the car doesn't make you happy anymore, then by all means, start searching for another ride. Your call....
    Last edited by olds350; 07-17-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    Rodney
    '12 128 convertible
    '11 328ix touring, wife's ride
    www.thscc.com

My Cars
    2009 128i
    Any advice between selling myself and trading in?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by missmikey View Post
    At a different shop than my regular, they told me my engine block is collapsing. My normal shop said that is like a year off and not to worry.
    Yeah don't ya hate it when your engine block just collapses on you?

Just the other day I was driving down the highway and my engine block just completely collapsed in on itself - while I was driving! Luckily it was only an I6, the V8's have enough mass to form a singularity when they collapse and on more than one occasion they have formed a miniature black hole. That's why they had to re-route the I-10 through parts of Phoenix, too many black holes from too many collapsed engines.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '11 328xiT, '01 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Yeah don't ya hate it when your engine block just collapses on you?

Just the other day I was driving down the highway and my engine block just completely collapsed in on itself - while I was driving! Luckily it was only an I6, the V8's have enough mass to form a singularity when they collapse and on more than one occasion they have formed a miniature black hole. That's why they had to re-route the I-10 through parts of Phoenix, too many black holes from too many collapsed engines.
    No sarcasm detected...
    Rodney
    '12 128 convertible
    '11 328ix touring, wife's ride
    www.thscc.com

My Cars
    2013 BMW 128i E82 SULEV
    Regarding the "engine block collapsing," engine blocks don't collapse! I think they were testing your femininity for mechanical knowledge... I wouldn't take my car to THAT shop again.
    Last edited by yankee2; 08-28-2017 at 02:03 AM. Reason: to correct typos

My Cars
    2013 BMW 128i E82 SULEV
    I know I'm being a bit contrary to what most people want, but I prefer my cars simple, i.e. without a lot of sophisticated electronics, drive modes, luxurious options, etc., and especially without automatic transmissions (I hate 'em; will ALWAYS drive manuals). I don't even necessarily want turbos. I think all that additional, unnecessary stuff not only detracts from the driving experience (except maybe turbos), but also costs more, both to buy and to maintain. Therefore, I may not be buying a new BMW... I will buy well-preserved older ones, if I ever need (or want) another...
    Last edited by yankee2; 08-28-2017 at 02:14 AM. Reason: to fix typos

My Cars
    I would not be too worried about repairs with 45k only ... If you like the car, keep it for couple more years

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Regarding selling vs trading..... you'll nearly always do better selling outright, but there is a convenience factor with trading it in. Just depends on how important the extra cash is to you. I'd guess you could probably sell it for 1500-2000 more than you might get on trade. (just a guess)