Thread: BMW Dilemma

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i

BMW Dilemma

I had a 1997 BMW 528i for a year now. It has been in one car accident where the right headlight and frame was smashed it but god bless my dad, he pulled out the frame and fixed it and now it's good to go again. I've done some looking around for the next BMW I would like to purchase myself when the time comes and I've been VERY impressed with the 03 M5 (I came to like the E39 models). My only problem with the car is that it's only manual transmission. The 97 528i is my 1st car and all the cars I've driven were automatic. I really want to drive a M5 without the fear of burning the clutch. Should I just learn how to drive manual and get an M5 or should I look at other BMWs? Just want to hear other opinions.
    Last edited by BimmerBrigade; 07-16-2017 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    03 530i/5, e30 s52(Sold)
    I mean what's your budget? Purchasing a M5 isn't that expensive but maintaining it will be. If money isn't the issue and you're set on an m5 go buy one and just teach yourself how to drive it. Due to their age you may just want to replace the clutch anyway depending on the condition and mileage of car.

Second option is to just upgrade to an automatic 540 which is the next best thing. You can always clone/mod it into looking and having similar performance as the m5 and save a little money.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You could buy on 08 E60 535i with auto and put a JB4 tune on it and be as fast as an older E39 M5 but have a newer car with auto. Unless you want an old car, in which case the E39 M5 is a nice one but potentially expensive to maintain. 540i have their issues also and the old 5 speed auto is not as good as the newer one in the E60. Turbo cars have issues as well, but the 535i will cost half the M5 so you have room in your budget for maintenance and repairs. Certainly learn to drive stick. I have had mostly sticks, mainly because they were higher performance than their auto counterparts but that is no longer the case. Today's autos outperform manuals and get better mpg.

My Cars
    '01 530i 5spd, '96 328i
    I don't have a lot of experience with e39's besides my dad's 530i, but I will say once you go manual you won't want to go back. Teaching yourself won't be too difficult as there are a ton of videos and things online, and in the end you will be able to enjoy the driving experience that much more!
    Instagram: @boston.media

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    My twin brother and I purchased an e39 M5 with little to no manual driving experience. We had each driven a manual before around in a parking lot but not really on the road. What we did was teach ourselves by forcing ourselves to drive it to work. The car needed a clutch when we purchased it, so we decided it would be best to drive it on the clutch that was wearing out and then install a new one. We ended up putting one in about 6 months after we purchased it.

I very much enjoyed driving it and would highly recommend an e39 M5 to any one. I can't imagine one without a manual transmission, it just fits the character of the car.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Wow I completely forgot about this post! To answer your question BigC986 I do not have a budget cause I haven't had a job yet. I'm looking to become a nurse (who make serious cash) and once I have a steady flow of income I will start searching. I've been strongly considering an automatic 540i but still unsure. Maybe I would get both who knows.
    Last edited by BimmerBrigade; 08-26-2017 at 03:30 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    gr33ne36 I've seen a couple of videos on how to drive manual and to be honest it really doesn't look that difficult but I'm still nervous about it. I've seen jerks all over the internet belittling those who drive auto and praising those who drive manual and it kind of peer pressured me into learning how to drive manual. Plus it's free theft protection since it's a dying art here in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Pizzaman09 that's a very interesting way to learn manual. I very well may consider that lol. I once got upset because BMW didn't make E39 M5 that's auto lol but it's best that way.

My Cars
    '01 530i 5spd, '96 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBrigade View Post
    gr33ne36 I've seen a couple of videos on how to drive manual and to be honest it really doesn't look that difficult but I'm still nervous about it. I've seen jerks all over the internet belittling those who drive auto and praising those who drive manual and it kind of peer pressured me into learning how to drive manual. Plus it's free theft protection since it's a dying art here in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Pizzaman09 that's a very interesting way to learn manual. I very well may consider that lol. I once got upset because BMW didn't make E39 M5 that's auto lol but it's best that way.
    I 100% agree that the best way to learn is just putting yourself in a position where you have to drive it. Forcing yourself to drive it to work or just as often as you can makes it so you just have to deal with it and learn as you go. Manuals are a lot more fun to drive and you will have a lot more options for buying cars in the long run, so I would still recommend it of course.
    Instagram: @boston.media

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I remember teaching my sister how to drive stick. We started a 500 mile trip and I told her to drive. She got better and better. Stalled a bunch at first.