Thread: Key lost Sync to EWS

My Cars
    1998 740il

Key lost Sync to EWS

Have a 98 e38 with the dreaded EWS 3.3....anyways tried to bring the car out of its hibernation and the key lost its sync when I tried to start it with a discharged battery. Any suggestions?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    If you don't have another key, you will need BMW software to sync again. Are you sure that's the issue?

My Cars
    1998 740il
    I only have one key. Used PA soft and INPA to sync the ews to the dme several times. I'm getting a no crank so I'm certain its a key to ews issue.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I've not done it myself, but many here have used one of those to sync the key/ews. Maybe one of them will chime in here later.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Never heard of a key-EWS sync loss, only DME-EWS.
    I would attempt further troubleshooting. How is the battery now?
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    I've not done it myself, but many here have used one of those to sync the key/ews. Maybe one of them will chime in here later.
    The battery is fully charged now.

I think the answer lies within Tool32 as I have found a EWS3 PRG* file. I am reluctant to code the EWS module with this file, however as more days pass I may have no choice.

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Found these instructions online for the EWS editor software,

"# Key synchronization repairing. When the customer try to start his car with low battery voltage he can damage a synchronization of the key. The diagnostics with dealers equipment (GT-1 or Modic-DIS) can detect a mismatch of rolling code of the key. BUT THOSE DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT CAN'T REPAIR IT. Dealers will order the new key. The EWS Editor system allows you to repair a synchronization of the EWS and the key. Do the following for it:
    • Read EWS3 eeprom memory with the Key Maker for EWS.
    • Save this file.
    • Upload this file into the EWS Editor software.
    • Read the key with the Read/Write key bookmark of the BMW EWS Reader software and remember its number.
    • Erase a tick for this key number in the Used window of the EWS Editor software.
    • Answer “YES” for the question [ Mark key (X) as unused? ]
    • Save a new eeprom memory as file on your PC hard disk.
    • Upload this new eeprom file into the BMW EWS Reader software and write it into the EWS with pressing the Write button.
    Then put the EWS back to the car, turn ignition ON and wait 10 seconds. After that the synchronization has been repaired. If you read EWS eeprom memory now you see this key is marked as Used again. All ten keys have been programmed at the factory when the car has been made. But the customer get only four of them: Nr. 0, 1, 2 and 3. Customer can order other keys from dealer."

So as of now there are 2 options to deal with this problem, go to the dealer and bend over the counter or buy the EWS editor software for $70 and wait aprox. 1 month for the boat to come from overseas....FML

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Contact Dima (DUDMD as a member here) on his Facebook page. Tell him what you have going on and see if he can help.

https://www.facebook.com/DUDMD/

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    I just did one today. Car had no crank, diag software showed key was all good, except for wrong rolling code between key/ews.
    AK-90 can fix this, buy unchecking used keys, the key will resync to ews on next ignition cycle and start the car.

I've also seen keys damaged too far, and this did not help, only other solution is a new key.

You can buy a new key, that is a flashlight key, no remote, for around $100 from the dealer.

Or you can mail me your key and ews module, and I can give it a try, but honestly it's a 50/50 chance, while a new key is 99% chance success rate.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Got the AK90 with a virgin PFC7935 chip, read the EWS bin file then wrote the virgin chip into key slot 10. I changed all keys to unused and wrote back to EWS. The car does recognize the key as no. 10 but still does not crank. With PA soft everything looks good on the live key data, but when I try to perform the DME EWS adaptation it comes up with FAIL (E=DME3). INPA still says error ECU rejected. I am at a loss as to what to do next....

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Would it be possible to take a donor DME and EWS from say, a 96 or 97 e38? I would then use the AK90 to read the donor EWS and program a virgin chip, no need to change any locks.

My Cars
    11/98 E39 535i V8 M62TU
    Post screens with live data from your ews. Then we should know more.

My Cars
    BMW z3 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    If you don't have another key, you will need BMW software to sync again. Are you sure that's the issue?
    If I do have another key how do I get the origins ‘master key’ to resync it’s rolling codes to use it normally again? Sorry if I’m completely mistaken about all the ews terminology