Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap mudflap solution: Rally Armor Universals, enter rallybois

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans

Cheap mudflap solution: Rally Armor Universals, enter rallybois

I was feeling feisty so I decided to whip up the mud flaps I've had on hold. A couple peeps here asked me about the idea.

I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/Rally-Univers.../dp/B00C3AIOTY

I used metal hardware on a previous install of these (on an old Saab boost buggy), but tried these plastic rivets this time: https://www.amazon.com/GOOACC-Clips-...X468K8V0A6AZY3

Cost: under $27 for four corners. Take that, BMW.

These rivets are nice and sturdy, and have already showed zero deflection or wear after a few uses while I was test fitting and making a template.

rallyarmorgrommet by brent gaudette

The name of the game is measure thrice, drill twice. The Universal flaps are flexible and easy to cut (important for the driver side, due to the muffler), but that also means they are slightly unwieldy while measuring, drilling, cutting, etc. Once you determine how low you want the flap to hang, attach the highest rivet/hardware and then the flap will hang while you align it horizontally. Once you get one side square/level/how you want it, pull it off to copy the hole locations in the other side's flap, measure the bumper, etc.

The rear axle mudflaps will be asymmetrical due to the muffler, but even an old pocket knife was enough for me to cut a large notch out of the inner part of the flap to clearance the muffler.

I ended up using three rivets per side. The rear M Tech bumper had enough "lip" up top for one; the bottom corner of the bumper was perfect for another; and I had to make do with a third through the fender liner. There's just not much to attach to without also fabricating a bracket, but I know from experience these will hold up. She's already a dirty girl...

rallyarmorgrommets by brent gaudette

I set the flaps more inboard than designed; it's not actually effective to mount them as outboard as the design suggests/STI flatbrims tend to. I have about 5.5" of flap hanging below the bumper, and on the ground that 235 section width tire is almost exactly in the center of the flap. I only got the rears done so far, and am punting on the front fenders due to lack of mounting locations. As you can see below, there is also not much tire overhang, but I'll get to it--even if a small hardware store bracket is required.

The suspension is not fully compressed in this photo, just FYI, and I will get the fiance to shoot better photos outside soon.

rallyarmortest by brent gaudette
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Noice, thanks! I used universal Rally Armor flaps back in my DSM days and they were okay. I'd love some more pictures of this!

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by wmrcs View Post
    Noice, thanks! I used universal Rally Armor flaps back in my DSM days and they were okay. I'd love some more pictures of this!
    "Ok" is the correct word for these, lol. But at $27 including mounting hardware, hey man...

Another shot. I should have rehung my bumper before installing but if I measured correctly, it should still be pretty symmetrical.

rallyarmoron by brent gaudette, on Flickr
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Yea "Ok" is a good way to describe it. It's not bad but my issue with these universal RA flaps are that they're kind of thin and plastic-y and look cheap. They need to be more rigid, or floppier. Don't they have urethane universal flaps? Those might look "Ok +1".

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    They do have urethane Universals, for over $100. Then "Motorsport" Universals, more durable still, for $200. The point here was to significantly under cut OEM, though.

Side note: in general, I'm ok with something looking cheap when it actually is cheap

That said, the aesthetic of these flimsy Universals is actually a plus in my book, since they remind me of old school WRC flaps (which were so flimsy they would roll them up and zip tie them on certain stages). This is why I mentioned rallybois in the title, and why I didn't expect a ton of interest from BMW guys. Most would either say mud flaps are ugly, or demand the (IMHO) ugly, rigid, less effective OEM pieces.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    They do have urethane Universals, for over $100. Then "Motorsport" Universals, more durable still, for $200. The point here was to significantly under cut OEM, though.

Side note: in general, I'm ok with something looking cheap when it actually is cheap

That said, the aesthetic of these flimsy Universals is actually a plus in my book, since they remind me of old school WRC flaps (which were so flimsy they would roll them up and zip tie them on certain stages). This is why I mentioned rallybois in the title, and why I didn't expect a ton of interest from BMW guys. Most would either say mud flaps are ugly, or demand the (IMHO) ugly, rigid, less effective OEM pieces.
    Wowzers, didn't know they had $200 too.. ouch! I would still attempt to rock these flaps, especially out of pure functionality since we get lots of snow where I'm at. Good post, I've been considering RA flaps for my touring too since before I had it off of the trailer. I always thought lowered wagons with mudflaps had a special look, but I hadn't seen anything other than the OEM ones and wasn't ready to take the plunge.
    Last edited by wmrcs; 07-20-2017 at 09:41 PM.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Wowzers, didn't know they had $200 too.. ouch! I would still attempt to rock these flaps, especially out of pure functionality since we get lots of snow where I'm at. Good post, I've been considering RA flaps for my touring too since before I had it off of the trailer. I always thought lowered wagons with mudflaps had a special look, but I hadn't seen anything other than the OEM ones and wasn't ready to take the plunge.
    People have been asking hilarious money for OEM sets, since they are NLA, but I can't stand the look of those.

My car needs paint anyway, so I figured why not. Basically all winter here, my back bumper is torn up, and I agree about the lowered/sporty wagon with flaps. I think it's just fulfilling some lifelong desire to drive a Group A rally car on the daily
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    1995 E34 540i/6
    Thanks for following through and posting this!

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    You should take some photos from other angles and post 'em up!

My Cars
    E30 M3, E34 M5, E36 M3
    This is definitely something I'd like to do on our 528e. I don't think I could bring myself to drill holes in the M5, and the 325ix has the early bodykit with the mud deflectors built in. Very nice install so far Sir Brent.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by anonoh View Post
    Thanks for following through and posting this!
    Cheers man.

You should take some photos from other angles and post 'em up!
    Haha, will do. I never take "serious" photos with my iPotato, and rely on my fiance and her DSLR for actual photos--soon! I'll need to get the fronts on before fall, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
    This is definitely something I'd like to do on our 528e. I don't think I could bring myself to drill holes in the M5, and the 325ix has the early bodykit with the mud deflectors built in. Very nice install so far Sir Brent.
    Yeah...it's more of a beater look, for sure. I also like them on a wagon or hatch, more than a sedan; these aren't going on my M5, for sure. For about $27 (at least in the U.S.), these will be hard to beat to keep grime and salt/rocks off your four season daily.

- Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Ms. Bleedsblue beauty shots post mini-detail, show off the flaps a bit better. No time for the fronts yet since my cars keep breaking!

- Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Ms. Bleedsblue beauty shots post mini-detail, show off the flaps a bit better. No time for the fronts yet since my cars keep breaking!

Oooohhh yeaaaaaaa! That's the LOOK!

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Just followed suit and ordered these same black universal RA flaps. Will post pics in this thread when the install takes place.

Also finally getting my hands on an S3.15 from an '88 750iL soon. My wagon will be winter ready this year!

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i

Very Nice...What rear bumper is that? Just finished installing Olympic Edition side skirts on mine now I want a matching bumper..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Just followed suit and ordered these same black universal RA flaps. Will post pics in this thread when the install takes place.

Also finally getting my hands on an S3.15 from an '88 750iL soon. My wagon will be winter ready this year!
    Nice man, please do post up! You'll probably get to the fronts before me, too.

I didn't know yours wasn't LSD, but you will love it. With the 3.45 Quaife in mine (auto 5 spd) it's both capable and a donut-monster on Blizzaks.

Quote Originally Posted by noypi2 View Post
    Very Nice...What rear bumper is that? Just finished installing Olympic Edition side skirts on mine now I want a matching bumper..
    They look and feel like OEM M Tech bumpers, but a P.O. installed them so I really can't be sure.

Interesting inserts there, I hadn't heard of the Olympic Edition! Cool.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Nice man, please do post up! You'll probably get to the fronts before me, too.

I didn't know yours wasn't LSD, but you will love it. With the 3.45 Quaife in mine (auto 5 spd) it's both capable and a donut-monster on Blizzaks.
    That's awesome, I dream of drifting in my wagon! I had a '98 328is and I just couldn't get enough when I put the S3.23 in it from an M3.

Just reached out to the guy with the S3.15 for sale and I guess it's not in good enough condition to sell, so a little bummed there but glad he was honest and didn't sell me a bad diff. Let me know if you see or hear of any 210mm LSD's for sale! Where did you get the Quaife diff? I've never rebuilt one, but I'd do it since I could get the perfect gearing too.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    That's awesome, I dream of drifting in my wagon! I had a '98 328is and I just couldn't get enough when I put the S3.23 in it from an M3.

Just reached out to the guy with the S3.15 for sale and I guess it's not in good enough condition to sell, so a little bummed there but glad he was honest and didn't sell me a bad diff. Let me know if you see or hear of any 210mm LSD's for sale! Where did you get the Quaife diff? I've never rebuilt one, but I'd do it since I could get the perfect gearing too.
    Whoops, I went on vacation for most of August there, my bad. Did you get your flaps installed yet?

A previous owner of my car spent some serious coin on it, including the Quaife, but unfortunately I don't have a receipt or anything that would tell me from where it was sourced. I just have record that a 3.46 was sourced for a 210mm case.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    Whoops, I went on vacation for most of August there, my bad. Did you get your flaps installed yet?

A previous owner of my car spent some serious coin on it, including the Quaife, but unfortunately I don't have a receipt or anything that would tell me from where it was sourced. I just have record that a 3.46 was sourced for a 210mm case.
    Nope, haven't done the flaps yet. I have been packing up and cleaning since we're moving at the end of September. I'll get them on in due time. Might do them the same day I put the LSD in. I've found another one, but I need my cryptocurrencies to bounce back soon since I invested that money when the other diff deal didn't work out. Was out of service for a few days and didn't have a stop-loss set up. Ha.

I bet the 3.46 is an epic ratio for the 6 speed! Do you have plans to do a manual conversion?

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Nope, haven't done the flaps yet. I have been packing up and cleaning since we're moving at the end of September. I'll get them on in due time. Might do them the same day I put the LSD in. I've found another one, but I need my cryptocurrencies to bounce back soon since I invested that money when the other diff deal didn't work out. Was out of service for a few days and didn't have a stop-loss set up. Ha.

I bet the 3.46 is an epic ratio for the 6 speed! Do you have plans to do a manual conversion?
    I know how it is, man, I just bought a place built in '48 and am updating the entire thing before move-in. I've been watching the news and I wish you luck on that bounceback.

I think it'll happen

Jason G also tells me the 3.46 will be a hot ratio for the 6 speed; I'm torn about where to go with this car honestly, but I think a 6 speed swap is pretty logical. I contacted the owner that sourced the Quaife, btw, and found out the unit was bought used out of an E31; he sourced the 3.46 gear set, and had a professional in SF, CA build it. It was not cheap, but I really like it. The ratio is pretty perfect with the 5 speed auto.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    x5 330i 525i all stick
    Very cool look and the roof rack is awesome.

Could you tell me what replacement muffler you have? I need a new one and trying to figure out what to do.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Quote Originally Posted by OGM3 View Post
    Very cool look and the roof rack is awesome.

Could you tell me what replacement muffler you have? I need a new one and trying to figure out what to do.
    Thank you, I'm in love with that Thule roof rack. I thought they were all about equal until I got this one!

The muffler is Supersprint. I love it but I'm glad I didn't pay for it... thanks, P.O.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    '05 BMW 330xi, '18 G310R
    I know how it is, man, I just bought a place built in '48 and am updating the entire thing before move-in. I've been watching the news and I wish you luck on that bounceback.

I think it'll happen

Jason G also tells me the 3.46 will be a hot ratio for the 6 speed; I'm torn about where to go with this car honestly, but I think a 6 speed swap is pretty logical. I contacted the owner that sourced the Quaife, btw, and found out the unit was bought used out of an E31; he sourced the 3.46 gear set, and had a professional in SF, CA build it. It was not cheap, but I really like it. The ratio is pretty perfect with the 5 speed auto.
    Oh wow, I bet you've got your hands full with that place! Yea I'm already seeing an uptick, I'll be in the green in no time.

6 speed would be wild. The other diff I found was an S3.15, but there is an S3.64 from an E31 850i for sale too. Not sure of mileage, but the case looks very nice. They're almost the same price, so I just need to make my mind up on the ratio. I'm concerned that 3.64 is too high and would render 1 gear useless and cause 2nd to be super squirly with my foot in it. I enjoy that, buuuuuuut... Idk. Hard choice.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Oh wow, I bet you've got your hands full with that place! Yea I'm already seeing an uptick, I'll be in the green in no time.

6 speed would be wild. The other diff I found was an S3.15, but there is an S3.64 from an E31 850i for sale too. Not sure of mileage, but the case looks very nice. They're almost the same price, so I just need to make my mind up on the ratio. I'm concerned that 3.64 is too high and would render 1 gear useless and cause 2nd to be super squirly with my foot in it. I enjoy that, buuuuuuut... Idk. Hard choice.
    Yeah between work, car projects, and other stuff I'm trying to get started, there isn't much sleepytime anymore

I would not even try a 3.64 in anything but a track car, with these trans ratios, and the M60 powerband. I think some would argue that the 3.46 is even a bit hot for a 6 speed. It depends on your use of the car of course.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

My Cars
    are slow
    Somebody's selling a 3.45 on the E31 forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast