My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Too many rpm for a stock shortblock?

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Did you just install a window?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty much. But it was the self install version, minimal work from me.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Too many rpm for a stock shortblock?
    Honestly, I don't know, haven't torn it down yet. She died a fairly glorius death, leading a B5S4 on the Mexican highways at 127mph. Somewhere around 6k RPM there was a momentary rattle, then a bang, oil light came on, and she shut off when I clutched in 2 seconds later.

At this point, if I had to guess, this is all my fault and was eminently preventable. I had my first track day about a month and a half ago. I changed the oil right before, but haven't since. The oil was in for around 1200 miles total, but they were fairly hard (track day, autox, couple late night trips to 'Mexico', and a couple canyon runs). Being that she was burning a little oil, I was always watching and topping off, so I assumed it didn't need to be changed yet.

When the lifter tick wouldn't go away after the last canyon run I did, I knew right away the oil was old. When I drained it a few days later it came out like charcoal colored water (having been warmed up first). I took the opportunity to change from the 5w-40 Rotella I had been using to 5w-50 Ravenol Rally Racing Synto. I had been wanting to go to a thicker and more appropriate oil for a bit so this was a good time. After the oil change the ticking went away momentarily but returned after the oil was heated. I figured it was either a collapsed lifter or it just needed more time to pump up.

The cruise was 2 days later. She was sounding a little better on the way to the meet and once we were in Mexico... well the rest is history.
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    skateboard
    What's next?

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    In 2009, I blew an engine while racing a GTR in Mexico. I was half a car ahead from 65 to 145 when I ran out of pump or injector. Supercharged at the time making around 425 rwhp. Found a rebuilt S52 and swapped it it. Back on the road in 3 weeks.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Sucks man, sorry to hear.

S52's just aren't top end screamers. Never were meant to be! That's one reason I didn't like the cams and went turbo, always felt like you have to rev it past it's will to live.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by jvit27 View Post

S52's just aren't top end screamers. Never were meant to be! That's one reason I didn't like the cams and went turbo, always felt like you have to rev it past it's will to live.
    Yes s50's are happier with the revs

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I have Shrick 256/264 in my M3, Also live in denver, saw your car at bimmerhaus if you'd like to try my car out. I have 24# injectors, intake and cams. I've ran against a couple E36's in a straight line and i seem to destroy them every time... in terms of exhaust all i have is S52 headers stock cats Corsa cat back. I also know someone locally who needs some cams, so if you're gonna part ways with them, let me know .

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I will be selling the stock S52 cams once I get the car back. Currently waiting for the machine shop to finish up the work on the head and send it back to BimmerHaus. Unfortunately the machine shop said it'd be 2-3 weeks before they'd get it done. They've had it two weeks yesterday, so hopefully it's ready soon.
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    What's next?

Depends on what's salvageable here. Either full nuts NA S52, bolt on S54, or part out.

I don't inherently agree or disagree with this. I'll admit that data has proven they don't last long up there but they still do pretty ok when setup like mine was. Mine made it 19k miles of hard driving with this setup.

No regrets man, it sounded amazing, from idle to redline, pulled hard everywhere and was a blast. My only regret is not changing that oil sooner.
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Yes s50's are happier with the revs
    Agreed. I prefer the torque most days but my '95 was more fun to wind out.

Quote Originally Posted by Foda420 View Post
    Depends on what's salvageable here. Either full nuts NA S52, bolt on S54, or part out.

I don't inherently agree or disagree with this. I'll admit that data has proven they don't last long up there but they still do pretty ok when setup like mine was. Mine made it 19k miles of hard driving with this setup.

No regrets man, it sounded amazing, from idle to redline, pulled hard everywhere and was a blast. My only regret is not changing that oil sooner.
    Oh for sure, but when you look back you really have to ask a lot of it if you keep it NA. That is primarily why I say "not worth it" - my $.02 isn't just based on performance. Longevity, cost, and effort are all considerations.
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I doubt it was your oil that caused the problem. If the oil was that bad, that quickly, that points to another more serious internal issue. Changing the oil just would've meant the motor would've blown up with fresher oil.

As to what you do, depends on your goals and budget for the car. I would've loved to have swapped in an S54 instead of doing the head gasket and cams on my car, but the cost for the S54 swap was WAY more. Since my car is primarily a track car, I didn't want to go FI.

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe

Agreed. I prefer the torque most days but my '95 was more fun to wind out.

Oh for sure, but when you look back you really have to ask a lot of it if you keep it NA. That is primarily why I say "not worth it" - my $.02 isn't just based on performance. Longevity, cost, and effort are all considerations.
    Yea this is true. And why I'm seriously considering S54 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    I doubt it was your oil that caused the problem. If the oil was that bad, that quickly, that points to another more serious internal issue. Changing the oil just would've meant the motor would've blown up with fresher oil.

As to what you do, depends on your goals and budget for the car. I would've loved to have swapped in an S54 instead of doing the head gasket and cams on my car, but the cost for the S54 swap was WAY more. Since my car is primarily a track car, I didn't want to go FI.
    Although you're most likely right, I'll never know now. In the end, I pissed $90 of new oil on the highway. Least of my problems now I guess haha

I'm already over budget and was close to what I wanted out of this car. I also track and plan to do more so FI is a non starter for me. I'd say I have a goal in mind of appx. 10#s/whp as far as balance in the car goes. She's at 3215 with me in it as it sits. I'd like to bring it down to 3000 but also want to keep it looking kinda like a car inside so 3100 is more likely. Well into S54 territory at that point and would be almost experimental S52.

Who knows man. Depends entirely on what's good from mine. I should know by the end of the weekend.
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    My weighs about 3000lbs. That's with no rear seats, door cards, carpeting, tc Kline rollbar, Recaro fixed back seats.

I have all the creature comforts still installed tho, so AC, radio, cruise control etc.

The car is on the edge of street/track. I can easily convert it to a full street car if I want.

I'm reluctant to prep it more for the track tho, as then it becomes much more of a one trick pony so to speak.

I think the S54 is the way to go, but the swap is $10k if you want to make it properly integrated and smog legal.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Bringing this back up. I ended up putting in a set of the street Schricks since I didn't want to limit my vanos and spend more money on SuperTech valve springs. I now have a chance to pick up a set of the Epic Sport cams. Question is, are they different enough from the street Schricks and will make that much more power to warrant the expense?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    i think the only thing that would warrant the expense of changing cams again would be to go with Schricks 270 range cams.. havent heard enough good things about Epic's S52 cams.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Well, the shop is recommending valve springs.

So I can either stick with the street schricks are get oem valve springs for $330, or spend another $700 (the delta) for super tech springs and schrick 276/270's.

Decisions.....
    I've been reading this thread from page one... and here I am 3.5yrs after your posted this and I have the same decision to make!??? I'll keep reading to see what you did.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Bringing this back up. I ended up putting in a set of the street Schricks since I didn't want to limit my vanos and spend more money on SuperTech valve springs. I now have a chance to pick up a set of the Epic Sport cams. Question is, are they different enough from the street Schricks and will make that much more power to warrant the expense?
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 View Post
    I've been reading this thread from page one... and here I am 3.5yrs after your posted this and I have the same decision to make!??? I'll keep reading to see what you did.
    See above post - you must have missed it.

He went street Schricks. He never updated after the Epic question, so I'd take that to mean he didn't pull the trigger.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I went with the street Schricks. It turned into a bit of a shizz show and ended up scratching my 911 turbo itch and selling the car. In retrospect I should've kept the Dinan/RMS stage 2 vortech blower setup I had sitting in a box and just installing it with the stock cams.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    With your altitude in Denver, I think the turbo car is a great choice. In 2010, I was shopping 996 Turbo and E90M3 and have often wondered over the past 10 years whether I made the right choice. Now I would like a 991.2 Turbo but will have to wait a while. Thinking about supercharging the E90M3 in the meantime

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    With your altitude in Denver, I think the turbo car is a great choice. In 2010, I was shopping 996 Turbo and E90M3 and have often wondered over the past 10 years whether I made the right choice. Now I would like a 991.2 Turbo but will have to wait a while. Thinking about supercharging the E90M3 in the meantime
    The 996 Turbo is a fantastic car. Analog feeling, handles well, stops well, great power, comfortable. Works incredibly well on track, literally the only car I've ever driven up here on track that doesn't need a complete overhaul of the cooling system to not melt down up here. Totally worth it and I'd choose it over an E90 M3 all week, month, year long. No comparison.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    also neat that a 996 Turbo can be made RWD-only with 'simple measures'

A GT2 replica makes quite the car.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456