Thread: E36 m3 s50 3.5 hfm.....

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

E36 m3 s50 3.5 hfm.....

I have a 95 M3, S50 obviously. Been thinking and looking around a lot on what intake setup I would like. I'll probably go with an AFE cai, but the 3.5 HFM is something I don't know much about. What one is the best out there for my car? What else do I need to run it? I've heard a tune and injectors, don't know whether to get 21# or 24#. I've read the car runs rich with 24# but hopefully in the near future I'd have cams to make up for it. Around the same time as the intake I would really like to get the Riot Racing throttle body for the car.
    If anyone has information on what HFM to go with, any adapters or other little things I would need for the project other than just the parts, it would be great to know. Thank you!

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymum1 View Post
    I have a 95 M3, S50 obviously. Been thinking and looking around a lot on what intake setup I would like. I'll probably go with an AFE cai, but the 3.5 HFM is something I don't know much about. What one is the best out there for my car? What else do I need to run it? I've heard a tune and injectors, don't know whether to get 21# or 24#. I've read the car runs rich with 24# but hopefully in the near future I'd have cams to make up for it. Around the same time as the intake I would really like to get the Riot Racing throttle body for the car.
    If anyone has information on what HFM to go with, any adapters or other little things I would need for the project other than just the parts, it would be great to know. Thank you!
    This has been covered ad nauseam so don't expect much response. Searching will answer all that quickly. That said:

You need the Bosch 806 MAF from the 540i or Euro M3. Not sure if the OBD1 cars need an adapter for the plug or not.

With your S50, no reason to go with 24# injectors unless going really big cam, 21# will be fine.

Personally I'd get a bunch of parts together and throw them all on at once (including the throttle body). That way the difference will be bigger unless you're trying to feel each individual mod.

Good luck!
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    If you decide to do the ASC delete boot (traction control delete boot), PM me as I have one I have been trying to get rid of. I bought it on bimmerworld and never installed it since I switched gears from a full NA build to a SC build.
    MODS: AA SC'D Rotrex C38-92 Stage 2 (60# injectors)==M50 Manifold==Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Meth Kit==Schrick 264/256 Cams==AA Ceramic Coated Headers==AA Trackpipe==Eisenmann Race 2x76==Clutch Master FX250 Clutch==Euro Oil Cooler==MANN Provent 200 Crankcase Catch Can==AA DSB== X-Brace==ZKW 6000K HID FX-R retrofit with Orion V2 L.E.D. Angel Eyes==Euro clear signals and tail lights==M-Tech Pedals and E-Brake==BBS RGR Diamond Black 17x8; 17x9 staggered==Leather Z Gauge Kit (oil temp, oil press, voltage)==Rally Road Guage Pod (steering wheel mounted with AEM AFR guage and Prosport boost gauge)==Cut-ring head gasket==Head refresh done by Autohead Performance==KW V2 Coilover Kit

Current with 85mm pulley and meth: 450 whp 365 wtq @ 13 psi on a Dynojet at Performance Eurowerks in Buffalo Grove, IL.
    Previous: AA Mustang Dyno Tuned in Miami, FL @ 10 psi on 93 pump made 392whp 325wtq (
    Performance Eurowerks Dynojet in Buffalo Grove, IL was 410 whp and 325 wtq @ 10 psi)

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Unless you're going heavy on NA mods or going with forced induction, an upgraded MAF is a waste of money. You're adding hardware capable of faster and more frequent air readings, which won't help without supporting mods or needs. A tune MAY help somewhat but you'll pay more for the tune than the MAF itself and won't benefit much (if anything at all) from doing just the MAF.

That being said, if you still want to change it the second post has all you need. You'll need a 3.5" to 3.0" adapter as well to move the bottleneck down to the throttle body.

My Cars
    skateboard

E36 m3 s50 3.5 hfm.....

A 3.5 inch maf , and tune has shown a gain of 15whp for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    On a bone stock engine? That would be interesting to see.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Unless you're going heavy on NA mods or going with forced induction
    I am planning to go heavy on NA mods, possibly supercharged but that wouldn't be for a couple years.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gymum1 View Post
    I am planning to go heavy on NA mods, possibly supercharged but that wouldn't be for a couple years.
    Personally, I'd wait till you have more than just an MAF. I see a lot of people do that as their first mod. Probably because it's so easy and accessible to do. I just don't think it's worth it on its own.