Thread: m52 to m73 and use the m52 computer!?

My Cars
    99 E39

m52 to m73 and use the m52 computer!?

Ok before I get flammed for this.. I've always wanted to play with the 12.. seems like there's enough power potential there. but before I even get started, when did the v12 go from niksil to alusil liners? the niksil thing has deterred me from playing with 12's for a while now. Ok back onto what I've got bouncing around my pea brain.

You're all probably thinking, how the hell can one even think its possible to fire the 12 with the 6 cylinder computer. well, it might not be possible, but, what I would do, since the 12 is essentially 2 6's if I were to run a waste spark coilpack set up on the ignition, basically the coil would fire 2 cylinders, one of which would be on its exhaust stroke. that is if the 12 has companion cylinders. I don't know, but it should. then there's delivering fuel. now being the m52 is mfi this might present a challenge, but, if one could convert it to batch fire, or depending on the firing order, run 2 injectors per trigger wire, where one fires on time, and the other close, it might work. plenty of engines run on batch fire where the piston position has no bearing on injector timing. not sure if it would work, but it certainly could. and since its just everything times 2 it might work ok, it would come down to does the v12 (per bank) share the same firing order as the 6. which the 12 was based on the older 6. (I forget which motor) it might have a different firing order.. but, since ROMRAIDER"S out there, might be able to change it.

now, then there's the cam and crank signal. this is where it get's tricky.. but if we were able to just double every output. we might be able to steal the crank wheel from the 6 and fit it to the 12. who knows it might be the same pulse generator.. I doubt it but its worth a look. as for the cam, not sure yet. but that's just what i got.. I know it seems like a lot of work, and if I'm going for power there's easier ways to do it, (LS) but to me its a bmw. it needs a refined power plant, with cams in a proper location.. I know there's much more like vanos fuel trim, pulse width modulation, 02 data etc etc but, the main hurdle would be get it running, and watch the data stream to see how I could change parameters in the computer to compensate.. and if it doesn't work, there's always megasquirt, but I would be cool to not have to do any brain swapping.. and still have everything integrated as mother Bavaria had intended..

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    How about a megasquirt?

My Cars
    99 E39
    thought about it as plan B but, the whole idea would be everything would work just with a snarly v12, (traction control, etc) and wouldn't have to code / integrate everything.. but its all a moot point if the v12 I'm looking at is a niksil motor.. then I'm not doing it...

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Just use the V12 DME, you will always run into issues with rigging the MS42 dme to run two banks.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99 E39
    I thought that too as an option, however will the e38 dme integrate with the e39 harness etc? like I said before I want to keep all the features of my car. this is good, multiple options to fire the engine. now just to answer the liner question....

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You will have to use the original M73n harness, with the later M73N single DME. E38 and E39 clusters (of your car era) are the same, and EWS (of your car era) will accept that DME.
    You'll have to do some minor harness and wiring, but it should all fit together.
    If you're going for the early 2 DME version, then you will have a harder time.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99 E39
    can the single dme system be adapted to an earlier dual injected motor? and when did they swap to just one? basically what I'm getting at is I think I would like to find a 8.8:1 m70 to be force fed after doing some reading today.. as it seems the low flow on the exhaust port side, and unavaillble (at least for cheap money) speed parts, it seems like force feeding an earlier motor would be the way to go.. I actually found 2 running e38's today for under $1000 that need work on chassis etc.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Even if you could, would you be able to tune that ECU for forced induction? Who does it? There was a guy with a modded supercharged E39M5 that ended up selling the S62 and swapping in an S52 and turbocharging it because he could get more power out of the S52. He has made 800 rwhp with the turbo S52. If you want to be different and have lots of time and hopefully some money and fabrication skills and can DIY all the work and don't really want to make that much power, go with the old V12. If you want to be driving sooner rather than later and have big power in a well sorted out package, try turbocharging an S52.

My Cars
    99 E39
    well that's because that's what I want to do... that's all, v12 and turbo noise sounds good.. If I wanted insane power Id revert back to my 2nd original plan of a 5.5 8500-9500rpm destroker lq4 with L92 heads.. first was an s50? rootes supercharged with honda pistons.. (would work, not so sure on how well lol) just want to see whats out there for other junk... its gonna be fun, expensive and lots of work no matter what... but that does bring up a valid question, will romraider support the e38 dme and if not whats out there for program hackers? which is one of the reasons I wanted to see if the m52 dme could be hacked to fire a 12.. it is supported by raider...

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Romraider works with some M52 DMEs because of the time spent defining the data into RomRaider, by a handful of people (including myself). It's a huge project, and required extensive disassembly knowledge to get it where it is. Code was analyzed and interpreted in order to make sense to the data.
    It can't be hacked by software to run 12 cylinders, because components on the ecu electronic board only have enough hardware (drivers, components etc) for 6 cylinders.
    It may be 'possible' to run the engine on 2 ecus (with a lot of work), but it would just be going backwards again.

Unfortunately there is nothing for the DME 5.2.1 for the M73 yet on Romraider, and there probably won't be. This one would have to go to the pros with WinOLS and professional damos files.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 07-17-2017 at 07:59 AM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    99 E39
    well that then answers that... was poking around on the winols site.. that looks intriguing... I'm a novice Linux computer geek. I often wonder if there's better support / communication via the Linux platform. I've got romraider running on my linux box.. I'd like to see whats out there for pro linux ecu editors.. seing as I have one windows machine and I hate it lol...