Thread: Looking for some advice on used 328d

My Cars
    B

Looking for some advice on used 328d

Hey guys,
    I am in the market for used diesel vehicles and I thought 328d will be a good candidate. (located in california)
    Now I never owned a diesel or BMW so I will need some help with questions that I have
    1) What do you think about 2014 328d with high miles? (70k+ miles)
    2) How reliable are 2014 328d models?

3) Anything I should look out for when it comes to diesel cars?
    I would greatly appreciate any kind of advice/help!
    Thanks

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Dont buy the diesel, engine and def fluid systems way to complicated, nobody knows how to work on them and doesn't want tot work on them the head carbons up, there junk

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Dont buy the diesel, engine and def fluid systems way to complicated, nobody knows how to work on them and doesn't want tot work on them the head carbons up, there junk
    This advice is complete nonsense:
    1) 328d has re-designed SCR system
    2) All BMW dealers and most indies now know how to work on them (it's been 8 years, after all)
    3) Gasoline DI engines carbon up just as much

That M54 you have in your 2001 is not as reliable as the F3x diesels - I know since I had the similar engine in my '01 330xi.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    They are completely over complicated engine design for what gain, more mpg and torque, that's it. Running on fuel that's not any cheaper then gas. For work trucks fine, but for a passenger car, I don't see it. I will take my simple m54 engine any day of the week over any Diesel engine. Let see scr systems, turbos, trap oxidizer, carboning up of intake and intake valves. All the sensors and plumbing that makes it work. It's to complicated with not enough reward

M_3_X is offline Breaking Stereotypes BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '02 M3, '05 X3, '91 E30
    They are completely over complicated engine design for what gain, more mpg and torque, that's it. Running on fuel that's not any cheaper then gas. For work trucks fine, but for a passenger car, I don't see it. I will take my simple m54 engine any day of the week over any Diesel engine. Let see scr systems, turbos, trap oxidizer, carboning up of intake and intake valves. All the sensors and plumbing that makes it work. It's to complicated with not enough reward
    You obviously have no knowledge on diesels whatsoever, modern diesel engines besides being more efficient, last twice as long as their gasser counterparts.
    And the gain is real, diesel fuel costs less than premium gas in most areas, and it is definitely rewarding getting 600 miles + with one full tank.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
    -Mario Andretti.
    1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black leather, Black top, three pedals.

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    ... Let see scr systems, turbos, trap oxidizer, carboning up of intake and intake valves. I will take my simple m54 engine any day of the week over any Diesel engine. ...
    You have an M54 in an E38 that's over 10 years old. The OP is shopping F3x cars where the comparable gasoline engine is an N20/N26 with turbos, carbon buildup and all that other stuff, other than the DEF system for NOx. It's nice that you like your 525i/M54, but even the F30/F31 328d (let alone the 328i turbo 4-pot) will eat your E38 for breakfast: any road, any distance, any time. Progress does have it's rewards.

My Cars
    04 330i zhp; 06 Cooper S
    I have been very happy with mine, but it's still quite new to me. I've put about 1k on it, a 2014 wagon with 36k. The engine is super smooth, the transmission is fantastic. It pulls hard at low speeds and is eager on the highway. At cruising speed it is indistinguishable from the gas engine, except this one is getting 42 mpg in combined driving. I just did a road trip that delivered 47.9 mpg at an average speed of 69 with three people and luggage.

The car feels a little heavy, especially in transitions, but it is fun to drive and the steering is surprisingly good. I had low expectations due to the electric box and x drive too.

From what I've seen on the web, there are some nox sensor issues, but there is nothing you can do about that except get a warranty or be prepared to replace the sensors out of pocket.

My Cars
    335d
    Allow me to chime in, I'm a proud and happy owner of a '11 335D. 77,600 miles when I purchased this past June. Went on my 1st long trip: 906 miles, 2 different cities and used 24.13 gallons for a 37.55 mpg avg. Oh I do have the 6 cylinder engine. I have a gr8 extended warranty for 100K miles, once that is up I will change my downpipe to a cat & NOx delete downpipe, already have a Dinan, and will be changing the exhaust as well as putting in a LSD and that will take care of the NOx issues. Simply put, you bought a darn good car, miles are no issue to diesel engines so add more to the running total and enjoy your ride.... Q: After owning a BMW you won't want to own anything else