Thread: Ontario emmisions problem. Please help!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is

Ontario emmisions problem. Please help!

Hi guys! Ive been doing a ton of research on this but i cant seem to find a solid answer. So my problem is that i have a 1997 328i and i swapped in a s52 that was converted to obd1. Now im trying to get it threw emssions but having problems. Anyone from ontario that has dealt with this before? I took it to a place and when they entered in the VIN it asked them to plug into the obd port but it comes up blank cause its running obd1. They didnt know what to do so they backed out. I read that 1997 was the last year for the sniff test but im not sure this is the case. Wondering what are my options here? Would i be able to register the car as a "hot rod" and then be able to sniff test it ? Does anyone here have any info on this ?
    Thanks for your help!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    they are having problems because it's an obd2 car with an obd1 swap which isn't legal in CA .
    not sure about the rules up there but you might have to convert back to obd2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Another FrankenCar. I'm missing something, which I often do. The car is OBD II, and you swapped in an OBD II engine. Why did you turn it into an OBD I car? Part of the emissions test includes a visual inspection for the various components required. If you changed an OBD II car into an OBD I car, then there will by definition be missing components that the visual inspection would reveal. The data stream of OBD II is significantly different than OBD I, so the car which is by design an OBD II car will automatically fail the OBD II smog inspection. You pulled an M52 and dropped in an S52, both of these are OBD II engines. I'm missing the part about why OBD I is the direction you went in.

Your questions on registration as a hot rod are better directed to the local jurisdiction. You should have an 800 number that you can call to get to the government agency that concerns itself with this sort of thing. My guess is that they are not going to be happy and it's entirely possible they will not allow the car to be registered.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Another FrankenCar. I'm missing something, which I often do. The car is OBD II, and you swapped in an OBD II engine. Why did you turn it into an OBD I car? Part of the emissions test includes a visual inspection for the various components required. If you changed an OBD II car into an OBD I car, then there will by definition be missing components that the visual inspection would reveal. The data stream of OBD II is significantly different than OBD I, so the car which is by design an OBD II car will automatically fail the OBD II smog inspection. You pulled an M52 and dropped in an S52, both of these are OBD II engines. I'm missing the part about why OBD I is the direction you went in.

Your questions on registration as a hot rod are better directed to the local jurisdiction. You should have an 800 number that you can call to get to the government agency that concerns itself with this sort of thing. My guess is that they are not going to be happy and it's entirely possible they will not allow the car to be registered.
    I bought a s52 that was already running obd1. I didnt do the conversion i just put into a 328i. Thanks for the help tho im gonna convert back to obd2. Just need to find a s52 ecu and ll the small stuff

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    do the cats have 4 sensors for obd2 or 1 sensor for obd1?
    and what else do you have to swap back? just curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk