Thread: what's it like owning an '06 330i?

My Cars
    328i

what's it like owning an '06 330i?

I've been looking for an E39 540i but a 2006 330i has come across my way that I'm considering a little. It's newer than I want to deal with, but on paper it has all the stuff I want in a car (four doors, rear wheel drive, manual transmission, it's cheaper and lower miles than most of the nice 540's, and it's not too shy terribly shy of the 540's power). It looks like it might be a bit difficult to actually get all three of my kids across the back seat but I have to carry all three of them so infrequently it probably won't matter. What I'm really concerned with, though, is that it looks like it's not very easy to work on. I'm the kind of person who likes to do his own maintenance and upgrades and so forth. I don't hire people to do anything except my alignments and tire changes. Have the engine looks like's under the firewall. I couldn't find an oil dipstick (given I was in a serious rush at the time). And I've heard stories about having to go to a dealer and pay an hour of labor to have them reset a your car for a new battery.

Basically...how big of a shock am I in for as a DIY'er if I pick this car up?

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I have very limited experience with E39s, so can't comment; but I do have an E90 325i, which is essentially the same thing, save for the 3 stage intake (in terms of performance). There is no oil dipstick. You check the oil via the interface inside the car that is controlled by the turn signal lever. Although it isn't as easy to work on (overall) as say, an E46, it isn't difficult. The engine is not under the firewall. It just looks that way because of the plastic ducting that takes all of a few minutes to remove, which you won't be doing often. I just replace my eccentric shaft sensor and valve cover gasket and it took about 3 hours taking my time (drink and smoke breaks).

As for resetting stuff, like registering a new battery or resetting adaptations, it isn't a big deal with a $150 handheld, which you should have anyway, if you do your own maintenance. You're not in for a big shock at all. Well, maybe the cooling system. I don't know what it is on the E39, but on the E90 it's an electric water pump. About $400 for the pump and thermostat and related doodads. I have worked on a few and driven many 540i's and although they may be similar on paper, I think the 540i is appreciably more of a beast, although the 330i is no slouch.

Honestly though, for the money, the 330i is probably a better deal.
    Last edited by TonyAngel; 07-13-2017 at 10:05 PM.

My Cars
    2009 335i M-Sport Coupe
    I owned a 540i, an e90, and now an e92. You do not want a 540i. The e39 is a fantastic car, but I can name half a dozen problems that you will encounter that will cost you a weekend of your time and a grand in parts. My 540i was one of the nicest cars I've driven, but they have problems with with cooling system, fan clutch, transmission, timing chain guides, valley pan, vanos, water-cooled alternator, etc. They are a little too old and expensive to be viable, especially as a primary car. The e90 is actually pretty easy to work on, there are just cosmetic covers to remove. In either case, get yourself a Bentley manual and diagnostic software. You really need both for DIY jobs. The e90 330i is one of the most solid cars BMW has made.

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    test drove an MT 06 330i in 07, loved the feel and quickness of the car. Couldn't make the deal work or I might still have it

My Cars
    2006 330i it's my first!
    I've had an e90 330i for about 2.5 ys now. I've done all the maintenance and some repairs on my own. The car has 133,000 miles on it and is so much fun to drive! Unfortunately it's in the shop right now because the AC compressor blew up and sent metal shavings through the system. This is not something I'm prepared to do work on myself. The back seat is tight, my two kids (12 and 14) usually complain about not having enough leg room. I just turn up the music and I can't hear them anymore! I've had the car up to 110 mph several times and it never complained and was still accelerating when I thought I should shut it down for fear of a massive speeding ticket. If the 330i is clean, I would go for it. I would repurchase my 330i in a heartbeat. Just make sure you get a prepurchase inspection on any BMW that you buy.

My Cars
    02 M3
    solid car, a lot of items carried over for the e46 into the 330i i believe. You can pick up low millage ones cheap just search on autotrader.