Hi all,

I have a 2005 BMW 645Ci convertible, with ~105,000 miles. It's popping up with the ratio monitoring code between 2nd and 3rd. If I switch to sport mode or DS mode, no errors and the car shifts just fine. When I took it to BMW, they wanted to replace the transmission for failure, but one of the techs asked me to step to the side and suggested that he didn't think it needed all that. He said that based on the fact that it shifts normal in DS/Sport modes that indicates that the gears are likely fine, and that a more common repair is the seals. He wouldn't do the work, himself, though, but said that he wanted to pass that knowledge on to me.

So I'm fairly confident around a car, but I've never messed with transmissions before and am a bit wary to tackle this right now because I'm nervous to screw something up in this transmission. Additionally, my current living situation (an apartment) doesn't really allow me to work on the car, even in the parking lot (the manager lives on site).

Based on reading countless stuff on the forums, talking to the BMW dealer, and my own experience, I am fairly certain that the issue is related to the mechatronics bridge adapter and/or the sealing sleeves.

What I want to do is to drop the pan and replace these sleeves and confirm that a) that's the problem and b) if they have the cracks that are very common, if replacing them fixes my issue.

Is there anyone in the Melbourne, FL area that could either assist me (for cash), or recommend a place that would just do this work for me at a reasonable cost?