Thread: E36M3 Oil Cooler Recommendation Please

My Cars
    2 E36 M3, 1 E46 328i

E36M3 Oil Cooler Recommendation Please

It seems that the Rally Road Oil Cap is well accepted to be effective but I wanted to see what cooler and hose kit would be least expensive and still work well. Do those small fans help?

I dont have any engine mods other than a flash and cat-delete.

Any links would be appreciated.

I will be running gauges for monitoring oil temp/pressure and water temp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MemphisRob; 07-13-2017 at 10:27 AM.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by MemphisRob View Post
    It seems that the Rally Road Oil Cap is well accepted to be effective but I wanted to see what cooler and hose kit would be least expensive and still work well. Do those small fans help?

I dont have any engine mods other than a flash and cat-delete.

Any links would be appreciated.

I will be running gauges for monitoring oil temp/pressure and water temp.
    S54 OFH with AN adapters and euro cooler is my goto. Bolt onto a s54 mcoupe radiator for stock like systema

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    I just put a cooler in my E36, and looked at the top-of-the-line expensive plate coolers. As far as I can tell, the Derale stacked plate coolers are good enough, but a lot cheaper.

But it's not plug n play, if you need that. You'll have to figure out where and how to mount it.

Oil pressure drop is the concern many people have putting these in track cars. I looked at the cap you mentioned and it has -10 AN fittings which is good. For my install, I used -10 fittings and 5/8 ID hose throughout, and the 19 row medium width plate cooler. No pressure drop worth mentioning. I don't know if everybody NEEDS that much flow capacity to control pressure drop adequately. I just throw it out because I know now, it's one way to get it done.

Last edited by JBasham; 07-13-2017 at 04:47 PM.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/6, 16 M3/6
    I made my own kit. Rally road cap -8an, Setrab 619, nylon braided hose, 180F thermostat. Fabricated brackets using aluminum flat bar from home depot to attach the oil cooler to the radiator support and fan shroud, used rubber isolating bushings to dampen vibration and shock to the oil cooler.

Only thing i would change on my setup would be to get a 200F thermostat so the car warms up faster during the cooler seasons. On track i was a steady 220-230F during a 50 min session, 95F ambient temp.

Was around $500 for everything.

oil cooler 2.jpg

oil cooler 1.jpg
    Last edited by hc1001; 07-23-2017 at 12:34 AM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I'm probably going to go all OEM. So S54 OFH, Euro E36/S54 MZ3 cooler lines, oil cooler, brackets etc. Total bolt on.
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    I'm probably going to go all OEM. So S54 OFH, Euro E36/S54 MZ3 cooler lines, oil cooler, brackets etc. Total bolt on.
    I am doing the same. Pair it with the S54 Z3M radiator for a 100% OEM solution for the E36.

You can save a ton if you're patient and wait for used parts to show up. The only thing I bought new was the cooler itself.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Yeah, my CSF Racing radiator has the same brackets on it for the euro oil cooler. I'm probably going to buy the lines and cooler new, they're not that expensive.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Don't forget that with the Euro oil cooler you'll also need to revisit the US car's air shroud setup, which doesn't provide for airflow below the radiator. The Euro E36 M3 used an entirely different shroud:

Oil Cooler Bottom View.jpg

Since I use the Euro shroud but a homebrew oil cooler (see above pic) I had to do the reverse, blocking off the bypass under the radiator. My oil cooler is mounted on a hardware store square section aluminum extrusion fastened to the bumper supports with U-bolts.

Oil Cooler Support Beam.jpg

There are also anti-vibration stays at the bottom of the cooler, cut and bent from hardware store aluminum bar, that attach to the aux fan shroud.

Oil Cooler Support.jpg

Complete installation.

Oil Cooler.jpg

Oil lines are AN-10, fed from the S54-type oil filer housing, which incorporates a thermostat. (The alternator cooling duct, which needs to be trimmed for hose clearance, is removed for this photo.)

Oil Filter Canister.jpg

This setup has been in use since 2007 and works perfectly.

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 07-23-2017 at 10:28 AM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I don't have the stock undertray. Running a Motion Motorsport splitter/undertray, and a custom duct piece to the radiator.

So will need to adjust that custom piece a bit to accommodate the cooler....
    Last edited by DocWyte; 07-25-2017 at 09:27 AM.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    NeilM, nice work there
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
    NeilM, nice work there
    Thanks. The only thing I'd do differently today would be to use lightweight Aramid covered hose, which wasn't available back then. Not for the weight savings, but because it's much more flexible than the stainless steel braid stuff. Every now and again I think about updating it, but why mess with something that works?

Neil

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I run the Bimmerworld C&R Radiator and Oil Cooler on my S54 swapped E36. It works well, even with AC still installed, with a caveat that I had to do some ducting to the oil cooler. The AC condenser blocks a good portion of the oil cooler from getting any air, and the stock US shrouds don't do much to make air go into the cooler, so I fabbed up some quick and dirty ducts to direct as much air as possible to the oil cooler (without pulling AC). I'm using the S54 OFH and the Z3M oil cooler lines.
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 07-24-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    2 E36 M3, 1 E46 328i
    I just wanted to thank you for this excellent post with pictures... I think this set up is a nice way to do it. I hope mine works as well as yours has.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilM View Post
    Don't forget that with the Euro oil cooler you'll also need to revisit the US car's air shroud setup, which doesn't provide for airflow below the radiator. The Euro E36 M3 used an entirely different shroud:

Oil Cooler Bottom View.jpg

Since I use the Euro shroud but a homebrew oil cooler (see above pic) I had to do the reverse, blocking off the bypass under the radiator. My oil cooler is mounted on a hardware store square section aluminum extrusion fastened to the bumper supports with U-bolts.

Oil Cooler Support Beam.jpg

There are also anti-vibration stays at the bottom of the cooler, cut and bent from hardware store aluminum bar, that attach to the aux fan shroud.

Oil Cooler Support.jpg

Complete installation.

Oil Cooler.jpg

Oil lines are AN-10, fed from the S54-type oil filer housing, which incorporates a thermostat. (The alternator cooling duct, which needs to be trimmed for hose clearance, is removed for this photo.)

Oil Filter Canister.jpg

This setup has been in use since 2007 and works perfectly.

Neil

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    I don't have the stock undertray. Running a Motion Motorsport splitter/undertray, and a custom duct piece to the radiator.

So will need to adjust that custom piece a bit to accommodate the cooler....
    How did you get a Motion Motorsports undertray? I have sent them numerous emails asking about the E36 undertray and radiator baffle and they never responded. They don't even list a phone number on their website.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I didn't buy it recently, have had it awhile

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Keep in mind with any kind of heat exchanger such as radiator, oil cooler, intercooler etc. that you are throwing away efficiency if it is not ducted properly. Given the chance, air will flow around it rather than through it taking the path of least resistance. If there isn't a pressure differential from one side to the other you won't get air flow through it and all the money's spent on fancy hoses, fittings and are a waist (comparatively speaking).

Duct the crap out of it and make sure you have an under tray. The euro M3s under tray extended aft to the guibo.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    The euro M3s under tray extended aft to the guibo.
    Do you have photos and/or a part number for the Euro undertray?

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratinoff View Post

Do you have photos and/or a part number for the Euro undertray?

Good luck finding one.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I got a used one off a euro, along with the aluminum doors. A buddy of mine ordered a brand new one. They are around.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    2002, 320is, 328is, M3
    Plus 1 on the ducting. My car is straight track now but the the path I took to get there: Remove pusher fan, aluminum radiator, Spal 16 inch wired to dash switch, Bimmerworld adapter for the housing (sends all oil through the cooler), AN fittings with press lock hose (soak in solvent to expand and push on) aftermarket oil cooler mounted to the brace in front of the rad, kidneys are blocked off. Mechanical oil temp measured at the pan
    ME:"I want to make my car faster and lighter"
    THEM:" Get out and let someone else drive"

My Cars
    03 525iT & 95 M3
    I don't run any oil cooler on my race car. Oil temps on track never go above 220. In july they were holding steady at 208 for a 40 minute race at VIR. Oil cooler on an s50/52 is just another failure point for leaks. Not needed. If oil temps are getting above 270 on this motor you have other issues like blown head gasket or non existent rod bearings.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by focusedintntion View Post
    I don't run any oil cooler on my race car. Oil temps on track never go above 220. In july they were holding steady at 208 for a 40 minute race at VIR. Oil cooler on an s50/52 is just another failure point for leaks. Not needed. If oil temps are getting above 270 on this motor you have other issues like blown head gasket or non existent rod bearings.
    you would if you were in Florida.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Quote Originally Posted by focusedintntion View Post

Pretty much this.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Oil temps are very dependent on environment. I certainly never saw 208 here in Denver. Combo of thin air and high heat does me in. That being said, I never saw close to 270 either.