Thread: Help needed by a fellow car enthusiast from Germany!

My Cars
    VW Polo

Help needed by a fellow car enthusiast from Germany!

Hi there,

My name is Patrick Schaber and I come from Germany. For my master’s thesis at the University of Applied Science in Konstanz I conduct a survey about remanufactured products for cars.
    I'm looking for participants from the US and I would really appreciate if you could help me with that!

https://www.umfrageonline.com/s/1ab8d76

I asked the moderator shogun for permission to post it here.

You are also very welcome to get in touch with me about the topic, my survey or my thesis. Thank you very much!

Patrick

My Cars
    I took the survey
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Done.
    I personally buy reman parts, either from original manufacturers like for example ZF, ATE, Bosch, BMW and other wellknown and qualified reman companies, I do not buy from unknown companies.
    Unfortunately "Rebuilt" and "remanufactured" have no specific meaning. The work could range from dunking in a parts cleaner to completely replacing all wear parts.
    That is why I only buy from companies which completely replace all wear parts, like for example ZF, Bosch and ATE do it.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Unfortunately "Rebuilt" and "remanufactured" have no specific meaning. The work could range from dunking in a parts cleaner to completely replacing all wear parts.
    That is why I only buy from companies which completely replace all wear parts, like for example ZF, Bosch and ATE do it.
    That's why I said the concept may not be the easiest to understand in the survey.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The automatic rebuilders association has some standards about Rebuilt, Remanufactured, Repaired, Used
    http://www.atra.com/transmission_repair
    ATRA MINIMUM REBUILD STANDARDS
    ASSOCIATION REBUILDING STANDARDS: no member or person or firm shall represent that any reprocessed automatic transmission has been "rebuilt, according to ATRA specifications:, unless such transmission has been reprocessed in the following manner; and members further agree to extend nationwide, inter-shop warranty coverage only on such transmissions as have been reprocessed in the following manner:

All internal and external parts shall be dismantled and thoroughly cleaned and inspected, including the case and bell housing.
    The following parts shall be replaced with new, each time; all lined friction clutch plates; all gaskets and rubber parts; metal sealing rings as are used in rotating applications; disposable type filters.
    All bands as are used in dynamic applications shall be replaced with new or re-lined bands, each time.
    The valve body shall be thoroughly cleaned and inspected; all dirt and varnish and foreign substances removed; all non-serviceable parts replaced, and new gaskets installed where applicable.
    The torque converter shall be considered to be a part of the transmission; and any torque converter which is installed along with a rebuilt transmission shall be internally cleaned and inspected for wear; externally checked for leaks, cracks, weld failure and hub wear; and starter ring gear wear, where applicable. Any converter which is judged as not capable of delivering new converter performance and life shall be replaced with a new or rebuilt converter. Any converter which is installed along with a rebuilt transmission main body shall be guaranteed by the member along with the rest of the transmission.
    Any and all other impaired, defective, or substantially worn parts which are not mentioned above, but which would not be expected to deliver new part performance, shall be restored to a sound condition, or replaced with new, rebuilt, or unimpaired used parts.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!