Thread: Upgrade from my 2007 e90 recomendations

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328xi

Upgrade from my 2007 e90 recomendations

Hello everyone, I've owned by 07 328xi since 2010. Last night some terrible terrible driver cut me off and i smashed up the front of my car. I am expecting the result from the insurance company to show that it has been totaled.

Currently looking for a CPO'd 328 and saw a few xi's and a d that caught my eye. Anyone here have strong reliability opinions on one over the other? I like working on my cars, but have never worked on a diesel... not sure if that is something I should steer away from.

I had a manual with my 07 and loved it, I think it was a more reliable transmission and the car was a blast to drive. Dealers here in MA dont seem to have pre-owned manuals in stock anymore... seems to be a dying breed out there. Anyone else notice the same?

Any thoughts on sticking with a 328xi or going to the diesel would be helpful. Major issues experienced in the first 100k miles? 150k? Probably not a lot out there that high yet considering 2013 or 2014 on... but thought i would ask!

Thanks

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    I don't have experience with the diesels, but have had plenty of 2013-2015 328 loaners and loved them all. They're excellent, highly fuel efficient DDs. Other members should chime in in regards to reliability; as the ones I've had were all low mileage. Best of luck!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by bsouth View Post
    Hello everyone, I've owned by 07 328xi since 2010. Last night some terrible terrible driver cut me off and i smashed up the front of my car. I am expecting the result from the insurance company to show that it has been totaled.

Currently looking for a CPO'd 328 and saw a few xi's and a d that caught my eye. Anyone here have strong reliability opinions on one over the other? I like working on my cars, but have never worked on a diesel... not sure if that is something I should steer away from.

I had a manual with my 07 and loved it, I think it was a more reliable transmission and the car was a blast to drive. Dealers here in MA dont seem to have pre-owned manuals in stock anymore... seems to be a dying breed out there. Anyone else notice the same?

Any thoughts on sticking with a 328xi or going to the diesel would be helpful. Major issues experienced in the first 100k miles? 150k? Probably not a lot out there that high yet considering 2013 or 2014 on... but thought i would ask!

Thanks
    Well, you can't get a 328 with xDrive AND a manual.

My '14 has 35k miles, with no major issues.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    Honda S2000, VW Jetta TD
    I enjoyed my 07 328xi MT as a business car even though it was a pushing pig compared to the 06 330i I tried to buy.

Fast forward, I'm retired and just picked up a '15 335ix MT CPO and must admit the handling is much more neutral and balanced.

We jumped on ours because MTs are difficult to find. I think because most new BMWs are leased , more and more people cant even drive one and I must admit the new "autos" are damn good quick shifting units.

MTs are in a funny market, 90% cant drive them and 10% are diehards.

You may have to settle for a paddle shifter and that wont be that bad

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsouth View Post
    I might stay away from the 2012/2013 328xi - there were a few relatively minor teething problems with them (notably the vacuum pump) but they're probably all fixed now. *ALL* 3-series have electrical/electronic/computer systems that are IMHO not terribly reliable due to the their pervasiveness and integration problems.

My wife's 328xd is a fine car (other than electrical problems early): engine is strong, tranny is great, systems are great. Non-sports seats are not a favorite of mine, nor are a couple trim pieces in the driver's seat area that dig at my legs sometimes. While some people don't like the steering, it's no worse than the lightness of my '01 E46 330xi. Mileage in the diesel is significantly better than the gas (some people don't believe us oilers - but look at fuelly.com), and diesel is mostly about the same prices as mid-grade or premium.

If you have to have MT, it's not a big loss to not have xDrive - but be sure to buy snow tires and wheels for the winter and you'll be fine.
    Reliability-wise, the diesel engine versus the gas is kind of a toss-up, but the only reason I say that is that *some* versions of the N47 have had timing-chain issues (but I believe that the US/CA models are new enough to have all the fixes), and the NOx reduction SCR system is complicated (but re-designed and hopefully more reliable than the E9x/E70 versions for the M57.)

Don't think you can go wrong with any 328i/328xi/328xd. The diesel is pretty much as quick and fast as your outgoing car, and the gasser is quicker/faster. All will get better mileage and handle just as well.