Thread: track days..new car and electric nannies.......GVC goes back on the retraction

track days..new car and electric nannies.......GVC goes back on the retraction

this is the beginning of something for sure.....

and as an enthusiastic instructor, I kinda agree.......but its kinda not fair to real car folks that want to track a newer BMW

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...its-trackdays/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    As an instructor, I don't know what to do if I sit down in a car that has these nanny's. I have an event this weekend with the SCCA. Maybe I'll ask if they've thought about it. What a bee's nest.

My Cars
    1987 528e
    I know jack squat about whatever ban GVC may or may not have allegedly instituted but I trust GVC regarding on track safety more than most clubs. Don't forget that GVC also played a notable role in forcing BMW to fix the Engine of Damocles.
    You can't afford to go that fast.
    The more Mustang parts I put in my BMW, the faster it goes.

a bees nest.......maybe so.

I know for yrs, that many clubs had specific rules about traction controls etc etc...either they must stay on or they must stay off....it really varied.

But now there are just so many elec restrictions....

this could get ugly.

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Old news. GVC banned robocars -> BMW NA blows gasket -> BMW CCA national blows gasket -> GVC gets involuntary colonoscopy -> GVC retracts ban and replaces it with a policy that marks such cars with a sticker and requires the systems to be disabled.

IMO the GVC ban was a step too far and the current policy is sound.

Note that national set a "maximum standard" -- a safety standard that a chapter cannot exceed. It also set a policy that chapters can't set policies.
    Dan Chadwick
    Boston Chapter BMW CCA Instructor Development.
    Near-Orbital Space Monkeys, E30 M50-ish
    Driving Evals on-line evaluations for Driving Schools. Paper forms are just wrong.

My Cars
    06 330i, 88 M3
    I have no idea how to manipulate these systems. I usually trust students to take care of this stuff. Had a student with a very modified '12 M3 last weekend, and he played with the settings for a while until I found someone to set the car up for him.

Couldn't tell you how it was set up. Once we got help, the car behaved nicely & the student was able to do very well and was naturally much faster.

There's such a variety of cars coming to events that you could never know how to set them all. Would be nice if the instructor assignment included how to set the car to showroom default.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    Showroom default will have the feature on. A 2012 M3 will not have these automatic braking and turning accident avoidance features.

On a BMW that has these features- there will be a button next to the hazard button. A green circle on this button means the feature is all on. Yellow means some on (user configurable. No color means system is off.

On a newer Porsche....the way to tell if the car has the feature is if there appears to be a camera type lens in the middle of the bumper opening the car has these features. There are settings you can dig into. I have also heard that tape over the camera lens will turn the system off.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!