Thread: Finally bought a Z4

My Cars
    '04 Porsche CTT

Finally bought a Z4

Hello all,

So after many years of wanting, I finally bought a Z4 yesterday. I picked up a 2004 3.0i Auto (so the wife can drive it) w/ 99k miles. It is in decent shape and was serviced at a local BMW stealership. The guy I bought it from has owned it for the last 10 years. It needs a little TLC, but nothing major just cosmetics, a top motor, and front strut mounts. I was able to get it for a little over $5k. I've only driven it a couple time, but love it so far. It's going to be a busy weekend as I have a few UPS shipments arriving this week with struts, mounts, reinforcement plates, and emblems. Plan on doing an oil change, trans fluid and filter change, and diff service.

Today I did notice a buzzing noise coming from under the intake manifold in the throttle body/ ccv area when you put the engine under a load like foot on brake with trans in gear. I was missing part of my stethoscope so I really couldn't tell where is was coming from. I'll look at it more this weekend.

I'll post pics after I get her cleaned up.

Sid

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Very cool.
    Looking forward to the pictures and updates!
    I am guessing the buzzing may be the idle control valve on side of intake.
    Last edited by cdsweet; 07-12-2017 at 04:22 PM.

My Cars
    2011 Ram 1500
    Looking forward to seeing the photos.

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
    We just purchased a 2007 Z4 3.0Si....6 speed manual. Great car so far!

My Cars
    '04 Porsche CTT
    Got a little work done on the Z this weekend and today. I replaced the front front struts and strut mounts. While I was at it, I installed the reinforcement plates. I replaced the ccv valve and that took care of the buzzing noise I had. It had been replaced before with the URO kit. I cleaned the throttle body, and idle air control valve while I was there. Cleaned the maf too. Today I replaced the lower control arm bushings. Wasn't too bad of a job. I did notice the oil pan gasket is leaking so I'll try to tackle that in the next few weeks. I ordered the vanos seal kit and the disa repair kit, but noticed the disa valve has already been replaced.

The to-do list keeps growing. I'm kinda ocd about my cars. I still need to do the trans service, drive belts, coolant sensor (in lower rad hose), coolant flush, rear shocks and mounts, diff service, and top motor.

I also will be installing an aftermarket radio and amps so I can have Bluetooth. When I get to that point I'll do a quick write-up as I plan to retain all the stock speakers. I did that in my Porsche and it turned out great.

Guess that's it for now.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by sid33 View Post
    Guess that's it for now.
    Ummm... pics?

My Cars
    '04 Porsche CTT
    I need to get her cleaned up first. It's rained everyday for the last 1 1/2 weeks.

Noticed an an issue the last couple drives, The low coolant light (yellow radiator) comes on and goes off while driving. I've checked the coolant level after the car sat overnight on two separate occasions. Both times the level was right at the max level. So I guess I need to start looking at the level sensor. The car does have a fairly new oem expansion tank.

My Cars
    '04 Porsche CTT
    I replaced the coolant level sensor today, so will see how it does on my drive to work in the morning. I let my brother-in-law test drive the car. When he was backing out of the driveway, he cut it too sharp and scraped the front bumper on the curb hard enough to break the bumper support bracket. I ordered some from ECS, so they should be here this weekend. I'm going to try and address the sticky, groaning steering this weekend as well. There's always something to do.

My Cars
    2007 Z4 3.0Si
    Quote Originally Posted by sid33 View Post
    I replaced the coolant level sensor today, so will see how it does on my drive to work in the morning. I let my brother-in-law test drive the car. When he was backing out of the driveway, he cut it too sharp and scraped the front bumper on the curb hard enough to break the bumper support bracket. I ordered some from ECS, so they should be here this weekend. I'm going to try and address the sticky, groaning steering this weekend as well. There's always something to do.
    lol, my whole family at this point are afraid to drive my Z4 as they feel like I would be mad if something like this happened. Apparently I am giving the vibe out I really like this automobile?!
    Unfortunately, for them? they are missing out and I know things happen and just like you, I just order the parts and fix whatever happens.

Assuming you mean the small plastic clip that holds bumper cover to quarter panel? That's an easy replace. Pull the side marker reflector to gain access to bolts and the rest just snaps in.
    And yes, there seems to always be something.
    Yesterday, I pulled and tore the map light out to clean the inside of the lenses. Yes, I know I am ocd and darn proud of it.
    When I replaced the rear side marker lights, I removed the plastic inner fender well panels, used simple green and a brush to clean the metal underneath, and detailed the plastics before reinstalling them...

My Cars
    '04 Porsche CTT
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsweet View Post
    Assuming you mean the small plastic clip that holds bumper cover to quarter panel? That's an easy replace. Pull the side marker reflector to gain access to bolts and the rest just snaps in.
    It was the front bumper. The two plastic brackets where the top part of the bumper snaps in on the sides. I didn't get pissed as it was an accident. I heard the crunch and didn't say anything.

So far my wife has driven it a few times, and I let my 16yo son drive it to pick up pizza the other day. I was with him and he did good. He really likes it, but likes his '86 Mitsubishi Starion better. I even offered to sell the Starion and get him a Z4. He said he wants to keep the starion.

One thing I need to do is thoroughly clean the interior and fix all the broken bits. I have broken slats on each of the a/c vents! Started to wonder how the heck you do that, then found a pack of the a/c vent air fresheners under the seat. Now I know.