Thread: DIY: BMW E39 Parking Brake Adjustment (VIDEO)

My Cars
    BMW 733i, BMW 540i/6

DIY: BMW E39 Parking Brake Adjustment (VIDEO)

Video tutorial on how to adjust the parking brake on a BMW E39. Here I am working with a 1997 540i and a similar procedure may apply to other BMW models as well. This video will also cover how to remove the caliper, carrier, and rotor as well. For this, there are two areas that need to be adjusted. First we will adjust it at the rotor and then after finish up at the handbrake handle.

Tools/Supplies Needed:
    -ratchet and socket set
    -wrenches
    -interlocking pliers
    -brake grease
    -jack and jack stands
    -wire brush
    -sandpaper
    -standard screwdriver
    -allen keys
    -bungie cord

Procedure:
    -start by safety elevating the rear of the vehicle and remove the wheel
    -to remove the caliper, we will have two plastic caps covering the slide pin bolts
    -use a standard screwdriver to pop off the caps
    -crack the cap on the master cylinder reservoir and compress the piston in the caliper using large interlocking pliers
    -there are two 7mm allen head fasteners that need to be removed
    -I find you will need to work with a mix of tools as the bottom fastener tends to interfere with the lower control arm when using a ratchet
    -the top I am able to use a 1/2” drive ratchet with an allen socket
    -the bottom, I used a 7mm allen key
    -remove the anti rattle clips
    -pull the caliper off and tie it off so it doesn’t fall or put strain on the brake line
    -remove the 5mm allen head retaining fastener for the rotor
    -remove the brake pads, they simply sit in place
    -remove the caliper carrier
    -there are two 16mm bolts, again using a 1/2” drive ratchet and socket, then the carrier can be removed
    -you will need to back off the adjustment inside the car at the handbrake handle
    -to remove the leather cover, slip your fingers on the top edge, pull out, and lift up to disconnect the bottom tang
    -the first nut is a 10mm and the second is a 12mm, loosen the nuts and back off the adjustment fully
    -to remove the rotor, I had a lip so a little force was needed
    -depending on the side, the adjuster maybe left hand or right hand thread, so they tighten and loosen in different directions
    -using pliers are a screwdriver, adjust the shoes and there should be mild drag when the rotor is installed
    -uou may need to pull the emergency brake to help center the shoes, then adjust accordingly
    -then pull the emergency brake to ensure it engages with the rotor
    -in the car is the final adjustment, we are looking for 3 to 4 clicks on the handbrake handle
    -usually the brake should be engages at 3, but you maybe able to pull a forth click based on how hard it’s pulled up and the stretch in the cable
    -what I have done is pulled the handbrake to the third position, then tighten the 12mm nut, and tighten the 10mm to jam them in place
    -once done with the one side, you can then move onto the other side using the same procedure
    1994 BMW 740I E32: SOLD
    1984 BMW 733i E23: Hartge engine, Hartge strut brace, Centra type 7 staggered 16" rims
    1997 BMW 540i/6 sport: polished/ported throttle body & traction control unit, E60 short shifter, ss braided flex lines, 2000 M5 tail lights, genuine Alpina bumper lip, genuine M5 auto fold mirrors, facelifted color matched trim

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Thanks for sharing and a great, useful DIY. If you have any other write ups that you've done, take a look at the link below. We're always looking for new content. If we publish your article, we'll give you credit and 10% off your next order.

DIY Project Expert Submissions
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST