Thread: I didn't take my own advice and bought a janky M3

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.

I didn't take my own advice and bought a janky M3

Normally I advise others to get the car with the best maintenance history in the best condition one can. I was thinking this very thing one month ago while searching for an E36 M3. Then I saw a cheap 96 Alpine White on Mulberry and for some reason I called and subsequently visited the seller to have a look. Car had some records, but all were from 2009 and prior. It ran ok, drove ok, looked terrible, and then I blurted out an offer. 2 days later the car was in my driveway. Then I left for Colorado.
    Came back and car is still here, sigh, lol. Started looking her over, ummm yeah needs about everything, AC compressor shot, all bushings shot, etc, etc, wait I didn't see a CEL when starting it...damn it.
    Pulled the cluster to find someone took the bulb out. Ok add that to the list of parts to order. Check the codes, surprisingly nothing detrimental (1 pre cat O2, cam sensor, evap shit off valve, high idle).
    Then a compression check...170, 175, 170, 175, 175, 170. Not shabby for 356K miles.

So can this old girl be resurrected to become predominantly a track car that is streetable, we shall see. I'm certainly going to give her a shot of replacing my 600 dolla make ya holla E46 track rat (yes it actually cost me 600 dollars and I'm into it for 3400 now, but it performs well for what it is and I'm pretty happy). So please wish me luck on this journey, or laugh at me, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 07-10-2017 at 08:16 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    SexualChocolate. lol, I say that out loud every time I stomp my feet. Good luck.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    That's pretty high miles. Not bad though. Some love will make it a good fun car.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 Coupe
    How much did you pay for it? If you got it cheap I see no real issue. You can do all the bushings and balljoints for not to much money at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ()()===[][]===()()

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    "give it up for my band.... thhhexual choclate"...
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Congrats on buying a 96, a favorite year of mine. Your signature is a little redundant though. All 96 M3 are 2-door 5-speeds here in the US. There was no other option.

Another random fact. 96 uses the prefacelift nose panel but is the only year to have it's own unique set of kidneys. Similar to 92-95 style but they have an additional radius edge in the chrome portion. Your original set is missing

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris99 View Post
    SexualChocolate. lol, I say that out loud every time I stomp my feet. Good luck.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    That's pretty high miles. Not bad though. Some love will make it a good fun car.
    Parts have been arriving. Plan is to get her running/driving perfectly then repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
    How much did you pay for it? If you got it cheap I see no real issue. You can do all the bushings and balljoints for not to much money at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2300 with a clear title. It wasn't the best of deals, but certainly not the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    Hah, one person knows where my SN is from!

Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Congrats on buying a 96, a favorite year of mine. Your signature is a little redundant though. All 96 M3 are 2-door 5-speeds here in the US. There was no other option.

Another random fact. 96 uses the prefacelift nose panel but is the only year to have it's own unique set of kidneys. Similar to 92-95 style but they have an additional radius edge in the chrome portion. Your original set is missing
    I didn't know these things, more of an E46 guy! I fixed my sig and although the car has a clear title, it does have a DOT R fender up front, so it was repaired at some point (early in life would be my guess) which could explain the kidneys. I will have to research the kidneys.

Thanks for the information. Makes my car a little cooler to own.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    Damn, that boy's GOOD!

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    Not shabby for 356K miles.
    I actually chuckled out loud when I read this. Nice though, should be a fun project. Or it'll ruin you mentally lol. Probably not at risk of taking you to the poor house judging by what's in your garage so that's a plus

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5
    I read 365k miles and laughed audibly.

Best of luck, I'm seriously looking forward to seeing what you do with this. The fact that the car can even be considered for track use with that many miles is a credit to E36's!
    E36///M3/4/5 | BB6 Prelude | VA WRX Limited | CM7 Accord EX-L

My Cars
    1999 M3 5spd
    2300 for a functional, albeit maintenance needy, clean title e36 m3 is a steal regardless of mileage. You basically paid for the engine and transmission and got the whole car along with it. I think its pretty awesome. "Wasn't the best of deals"...
    95 cosmoschwartz M3/2/5 : 2012-1/1/2014 (worn rtab's and bald rear tires in the rain)

98 cosmoschwartz M3/4/5 : 2016-3/10/2017 (understeering SUV)

99 Estoril M3/2/5: 6/16/2017-current

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate047 View Post
    I actually chuckled out loud when I read this. Nice though, should be a fun project. Or it'll ruin you mentally lol. Probably not at risk of taking you to the poor house judging by what's in your garage so that's a plus
    Thanks! I'm not wealthy by any means, but I manage. Either have a really really nice toy and a daily or a vehicle for every situation, errr some situations.

Quote Originally Posted by CGumina View Post
    I read 365k miles and laughed audibly.

Best of luck, I'm seriously looking forward to seeing what you do with this. The fact that the car can even be considered for track use with that many miles is a credit to E36's!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tsmith25 View Post
    2300 for a functional, albeit maintenance needy, clean title e36 m3 is a steal regardless of mileage. You basically paid for the engine and transmission and got the whole car along with it. I think its pretty awesome. "Wasn't the best of deals"...
    This is exactly why I didn't pass on it. I figure for 3Gs more I could sort out most if not all the issues and have a predominantly track ready car. Plus the mileage is sort of an allure to me. I imagine surpassing 500K with is one. It's also a long term project as I don't see it being really ready until late next year, then again parts are already here lol.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Had a little time so went ahead and changed plugs, coil packs/boots, and replaced/added the missing bulbs in the cluster. She runs better, but I am almost certain the cam sensor, fuel filter, and pre cat B2S1 O2 sensor will aide in smoothing her out even further.

Most of the parts are here and I will start tearing it down this week (hopefully). The clutch pedal engagement point is annoying me (very low and the pedal assembly moves quarter of an inch laterally), but those parts have also arrived to repair that; I'm just not certain how to contort my body and hands up there to replace the master and bushings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 07-16-2017 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Damn, that's fr from "janky", you did well!

My Cars
    turbo e36 m3/ stock s50/e30 m3
    place a new check engine light bulb, clear the codes and see what comes back.. then go from there..

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Damn, that's fr from "janky", you did well!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by m3boost View Post
    place a new check engine light bulb, clear the codes and see what comes back.. then go from there..
    Ordered a bunch of new bulbs for the cluster, installed, and pulled the codes with a generic OBD2 reader.
    P0150 - Bank 2 Sensor 1, ordered and is here.
    P0505 High Idle - I'll clean the ICV
    P0446 Evap shut off valve - Purchased a new OE unit and replaced it
    P0340 Can Position Sensor - Purcased a new OEM unit and replaced it.

Cleared codes and she runs much smoother and pulls from down low through the redline. Still feel as though there's more in her; doesn't pull as hard as my M Coupe did (clogged cats?). Getting the P0446 code reoccurring, I'll need to research that and remediate as necessary to address it.

Found some parts I had hoarded for the aforementioned M Coupe that was lost in Hurricane Ike, new VPD oil cooler kit, new Ground Control camber plates, and Rogue Engineering pulleys which should all fit this car. Also have some ugly Fikse wheels that I need to rebuild that I might use on this car.

Next step will be the belts, pulleys, cooling, and AC refresh; hopefully in the next 2 weeks I'll install those. Then address the suspension bushings/drivetrain mounts by winter (hopefully). I'm pretty stoked!
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 07-19-2017 at 10:30 AM.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    356k miles!

Also, killer username dude.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.