Thread: New Purchase - X3 vs. X1

My Cars
    2013 GMC Sierra

New Purchase - X3 vs. X1

Sorry if this is redundant. I have searched for this and have found a little bit said but would like to see if there is any current advice on the topic.

I am buying a new vehicle for my wife...she would quite frankly love either choice. She has been driving the Infinity EX35 and she wants to stay in a similar sized vehicle and wants to keep the utility of the SUV/SAV. So far we have driven the '17 X1 pretty loaded up, but not M-Sport...pretty much all other packages (Lux, Prem, Tech, Drivers Assist).

Going to drive the X3 this week.

My local dealer has accessory upgrades now going on the X3 for no additional cost as well as discounting the MSRP for $2-$3K. The accessory upgrades are M Double Spoke 310 20" Performance Wheel Set, BMW Cross Rails for the roof, and BMW Performance Kidney Grills...at list they say $5600 upgrade...seems crazy that the Performance Wheel set would be ~$5K.

At any rate, per the list price of the accessories and the MSRP added together the X3's are coming in at around $51K and they have them marked $42 - $44...no negotiation yet. An example X3...Not a lot of packages, Driving Assistance, moon roof, heated front seats, Apple Car, Nav System on base unit for MSRP of 45,295 +$5600 accessories mentioned.

They also have a couple of service loaners with 4K miles that are discounted.

It is really hard to decipher which we would be more pleased with, a loaded up X1 non-M-Sport with a little discount comes in about the same or slightly higher than the X3's mentioned...both before any negotiation.

I know it is a model end year for the X3 so I believe the X3 has some more negotiation to be had beyond current accessory and discount...maybe even 0.9 financing to help them move.

Would love to hear some thoughtful advice. I am not emotionally attached to either yet.

Thanks for your consideration.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! It seems like the X3 that is being accessorized is the best deal, and you're getting a slightly larger car as well. Just my 2 cents...
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2013 GMC Sierra
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum! It seems like the X3 that is being accessorized is the best deal, and you're getting a slightly larger car as well. Just my 2 cents...
    Thanks. I went and drove the X3 and X1 back to back today. I liked the X3 better from the driving experience. I did like both very much to be fair, but I liked the X3 better for the following reasons.
    -Even though the X3 and X1 have pretty similar cabin room, the X3 felt bigger.
    -I liked the layout of the console better in the X3...the whole space where your shifter is and the iDrive control
    -I liked the shifter control itself better in the X3 (I don't know if the Japanese transmission in the X1 is inferior), but the shifter mechanism feel and looks was much more appealing in the X3
    -I liked sitting up slightly higher in the X3
    -Slightly more cargo room in the X3
    -The feel of the brakes were better in the X3...not sure if it can stop in a shorter distance but it felt like it...the X1 felt like it had more travel in the break pedal...almost a mushy feel before it engaged the brakes

Pretty sure we are leaning to the X3 now. There are 3 X3's that look very good and there are of course trade offs that will be difficult to choose between.
    #1 (MSRP w/options $51,895, Loaner / Demonstrator but sold as new, never titled, 4K+miles discounted to $45,414)
    -Carbon Black Metallic w/Oyster Nevada Leather
    -Driving assist (no Driver assist plus)
    -M Sport (M Seats, 19" M Wheels, M Steering Wheel etc.)
    -Premium Package (lumbar support, moonroof, comfort access keyless entry)
    -Technology Package(Nav, Heads up display)
    -Rear window shades
    -Heated front seats
    -Apple Car
    -Wireless charging

#2 (MSRP w/options $52,520, Loaner / Demonstrator but sold as new, never titled, 4K+ miles discounted to $45,139)
    -Jet Black w/Black Nevada Leather
    -Cold Weather Package (heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats)
    -Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus (Active Blind spot detection, Active Driving assist, Surround view)
    -Xenon Headlights
    -Premium Package (lumbar support, moonroof, comfort access keyless entry)
    -Technology Package(Nav, Heads up display)
    -Rear shades
    -Apple Car
    -Wireless charge
    -Harmon Kardon surround sound

#3 (MSRP $45,295 +Accessories (BMW M 20", Cross Rails, Perfomance Kidney Grill) so total MSRP $50,695...accessories no cost + discount to $43,031
    -Jet Black w/Black SensaTec
    -Driving assistance
    -Sport Steering wheel
    -Nav system
    -Car play
    -Panoramic Moon Roof
    -Heated Front Seats
    Not as many packages, but select add ons shown and the tires and wheels looked the best of all 3, and no mileage.

So 2 at 45K+ with mileage and one at $43K+ with no mileage before any further negotiation, but some real differences in options....

Tough choice but all are very good choices.

Would be very interested in experience with the options and what you would or wouldn't trade off.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2003 BMW 320D Tour
    You should wait until the G01 comes out... That is even a better deal that the F25

My Cars
    BMW X1
    I had the same question some days ago, but decided for the X1. I preferred to get a well-equipped X1 than a bit-bigger (but less equipped) X3. The difference between X1 and X3 were not too high to make the extra effort.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Of the ones you mention, I would go for #2 -the Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus really makes it in my opinion.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2013 GMC Sierra
    @jsarmiento Why do you say "better deal"? Do you mean you just like the vehicle better? I would be interested in your perspective. Thx.

The allure of the X3 now is that it is a great vehicle and they are more willing to deal on it for those reasons..end model year and 4K mi demo. I believe I can get choice #1 or #2 above for about $43.5 and 0.9 financing.

My Cars
    2013 GMC Sierra
    @Pelican Parts Yes we are looking at both #1 and #2 pretty seriously. I believe I can get further reduction to be competitive with what other dealers around the country are doing with the X3...especially the demo versions. We are going back and forth between 1 and 2. It is my wife's car so I am more helping her with her decision. Both have driver assistance, but she really wanted the plus...and she liked the Harmon Kardon upgrade.

However, MSport is very nice, the seats are really nice and she definitely prefers the Oyster interior color over the black interior...it does lend itself to a more feminine look vs. black on black...but she really likes the safety feature of driver assist Plus so the jury is still out.

- - - Updated - - -

@joshv Thanks. I hope you enjoy the X1. We drove it twice and really like it. We happen to have two demo X3s avail at this dealer with a lot of options and priced similarly to what we could get the X1 for with similar options. Otherwise we would likely opt for the X1 as well.

My Cars
    11 X3 35i M
    What did you end up getting? I would have gotten #1...
    Current: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Oyster Napa interior, Afe intake, RaceChip Ultimate.

Past: 1998 M3 sedan, Cosmos Schwartz Metallic, Black interior, Euro 6-speed, AA Stage II TwinScrew supercharger, and a bunch of other mods.

My Cars
    2012 328i, X5 1994 325iC
    "Thanks. I went and drove the X3 and X1 back to back today. I liked the X3 better from the driving experience."

STOP... go no further, You just answered your own question!!