My Cars
    2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Climate Control Switch replaced. Now AC doesn't blow cold air.

Hi folks,

The paint on fan control buttons on my BMW X5 E70 climate control switch was fading so I decided to replace the unit with a "new" one. Hopefully I found a couple of used ones with the exact spare number on eBay at a reasonable price.

When I replaced the unit, everything seemed to be working fine at first glance. But after a couple of minutes of testing the AC, I noticed that the AC was blowing air, but it wasn't cold. I checked all the settings and everything was fine, just no cold air.

I installed the original unit again and cold air started to blow again. Thinking I made a mistake with the cabling, I reinstalled the unit I bought on eBay, but the problem persisted.

Now I have the original unit installed again and requested a return of the unit. However, I keep thinking the unit might be fine and there might be something I'm not doing correctly that sparks this issue. Any ideas? Perhaps there's something I need to do or reset after installing the new unit? Thanks for the help!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by DevPunk View Post
    ... I found a couple of used ones with the exact spare number on eBay at a reasonable price.
    What does "exact spare number" mean? Is it the same thing as the exact 11 digit BMW part nbr that was removed?

More than likely, the control unit requires some type of coding to work. : https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ration/OLLakPl
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-12-2017 at 11:18 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    What does "exact spare number" mean? Is it the same thing as the exact 11 digit BMW part nbr that was removed?

More than likely, the control unit requires some time of coding to work. : https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ration/OLLakPl
    So, basically, this can't just be changed at home. You need to have the proper equipment for reprogramming.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by DevPunk View Post
    So, basically, this can't just be changed at home. You need to have the proper equipment for reprogramming.
    If both have the same part nbr and the new one isn't working...and you're positive that the vehicle it was taken from has the same climate control options (both either have or don't have the 4 zone feature)...and the replacement isn't working (plug-n-play)...then I would assume that the instructions from the TIS link in post above needs to be followed where it says it needs programming/encoding:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    Why don't you just unsnap the fan button from the bezel and re-install in yours? It "seems" like the switches all snap in place, by the looks of your picture.

Then again, BMW is famous for taking stooped simple and turning it into space-shuttle complicated....

My Cars
    2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2772000 View Post
    Why don't you just unsnap the fan button from the bezel and re-install in yours? It "seems" like the switches all snap in place, by the looks of your picture.

Then again, BMW is famous for taking stooped simple and turning it into space-shuttle complicated....
    You know? I thought about it. The problem is that I don't really know what will I find if I try to remove it. Perhaps there's a tiny little hinge that would break if I try to disassemble it. This things are tricky.

- - - Updated - - -

I talked with my service provider and they're willing to do the reprograming for 75 bucks. I guess it would be worthy. Oh the things I'd do to make the car look nice :P