Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Noob needs some advice and confirmation

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i

Noob needs some advice and confirmation

Just got my 5th E39 after a five year dry spell, so I guess I am a re-noob. Car is a 2000 540i six speed with the small screen navigation/Radio/cassette, DSP, 6 CD player in the trunk.

Car came with a second spare dashboard navigation/Radio in the trunk that came out of a 740i

Issues:

1) Radio turns on for a few minutes, shuts off, and it can be turned off then on, and it cycles through again.
    2) There is static lines on the Nav screen, no display.

Doing some searching, it looks like I may have a blown radio amp (part number off of it is 65-10-6-902-718). Once I find one, do I need to get it coded and is that a dealer only service?

I am also thinking that I may need a DSP Navigation amp as well because of no display.

Both the original navigation/radio in the dash and the spare one that was in the trunk do the same exact thing, radio turns on for a few minutes, staic lines only on the Nav screen.

Any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated. I am hoping I am not chasing two separate items, but that may be the case. My first inclination is to replace the radio amp and see how that goes. Hopefully, the radio will stay on. Then I will try to tackle the Nav screen static line issue.

Thanks all in advance.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    When you write that the radio turns off after a few minutes, do you mean the sound dies, or do you mean the display goes blank?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    The display screen just has static lines, so no display. The radio plays fine, the sound stops, but the power lights still shows power. Hit the power button off then on, and I have radio sound for a few more minutes.

My fear is that I am chasing two issues at once. Any help is appreciated.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    It's likely the amp is going bad.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i
    Thanks Marco. Figured my first move was to get another amp. I am working on that. Got into it last night, and in addition to the above problems, I have a CD player with a stuck magazine and a navigation computer with no discs in it. I have ordered a few CD nav discs so I can see how everything functions before going any further. At this point, I am also leaving the CD changer out so as not to add to the issues.