Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just sick.

My Cars
    97 840c & 540I6 90 535im

Just sick.

Iam sick that My car was totalled over this. I do not have the energy or want to put the money in or the work in to bring this back and have a salvaged titled car. This car has everything in it. LSD, CSI kit, Dinan exhaust and more. Someone convince me because at the moment I am depressed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    97 840ci-99 540i6-90 535i5 all black

My Cars
    koenig ks8 /e31 850c
    Prices are on the up.
    you will regret not repairing it.
    best of luck.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    That is but a little scratch. Right after I did a full restoration on mine in 2007, it had an engine fire about 8 months later. Restored it from "beyond totaled", and once it was whole again, continued to enjoy it and was glad it didn't get parted out. Hang on to it and do a little at a time if you have to - you WILL regret it later if you throw in the towel now.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Yeah just fix it.

My Cars
    91 850
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    That is but a little scratch. Right after I did a full restoration on mine in 2007, it had an engine fire about 8 months later. Restored it from "beyond totaled", and once it was whole again, continued to enjoy it and was glad it didn't get parted out. Hang on to it and do a little at a time if you have to - you WILL regret it later if you throw in the towel now.
    +1. That's what any true 8 enthusiast would say, and it's very well said. Don't give in Blues!

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Well it's also hard to make "strictly logical financial decisions" with an E31 anyway.

My Cars
    97 850CI
    Don't let a salvage title stand between you and an amazing car. When you drive your 8, trust me, you won't be thinking about the title.
    Desecrator of all things Sacred

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Whose insurance are you dealing with, yours or the other guy's?
    What value did they claim was the pre-accident value of your car?
    What was the repair estimate?

You certainly can challenge the adjuster, the NADA book is most assuredly not in step with actual values today.
    Last edited by cartoonz; 07-08-2017 at 05:47 PM.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Salvaged titled cars will only make a difference if you are trying to recoup the whole value. Mine has 250,000 miles on it and even without a salvage title, there is no way I could sell it for what other 8's are going for - but I really don't care, all I have to do is take it for a spin and all is great again.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    I'm really not convinced they can actually force a salvage title on that car for the damage shown... what are the numbers?

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    I'm really not convinced they can actually force a salvage title on that car for the damage shown... what are the numbers?
    +1,

1997 that is the last year. No don't let it get salvaged.
    Several have had their 8 side swiped and survived - see LOU840 post
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...3#post29477843

I would make your insurance Co. justify the salvage value. Then I would challenge their judgement by supplying them with recent sales records of car in comparable condition.
    There is little actual valuation information on an E31.
    Hagerty doesn't even list the E31 in their valuation records which means the E31 is rare!!
    I have my 1997, 850Ci insured for $40,000 and I'm thinking I need to increase it.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    Iam sick that My car was totalled over this. I do not have the energy or want to put the money in or the work in to bring this back and have a salvaged titled car. This car has everything in it. LSD, CSI kit, Dinan exhaust and more. Someone convince me because at the moment I am depressed.
    Don't sell, you have a classic. Mine was hit on the same side, but worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1994 BMW 840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkCat840ci View Post
    Don't sell, you have a classic. Mine was hit on the same side, but worse

My Cars
    94 Euro BMW 850CSi 892
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Salvaged titled cars will only make a difference if you are trying to recoup the whole value. Mine has 250,000 miles on it and even without a salvage title, there is no way I could sell it for what other 8's are going for - but I really don't care, all I have to do is take it for a spin and all is great again.
    250000 miles. Wow!!!!! My hat's off to you.
    Board Member of SoCalEights (Marketing, Web Development & Social Media), Vice President: BMWCCA/E31 Chapter, www.cartiologyfilms.com
    Current E31s:
    1997 BMW 840Ci Black on Beige. CSI 62, 107 and 16. Euro-CSi #892.
    Client Represented E31s (Cartiology Films)
    1994 BMW 850CSi #11 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #31 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #58 USA
    93-850Ci - manual 6 speed. 97-850Ci - M73 Steptronic. 94-CSi 125, 95-CSi 162 Daytona Violet, CSi 198 White on Red
    Past E31s:
    1991 BMW 850i. Calypso Red on Beige Nappa and 1995 BMW 840Ci. Bright Red on Beige Nappa
    1997 BMW 840Ci. Black On Black Nappa, but changed to Dakar Yellow on Black Nappa and 1994 BMW 850CSi #27. Red On light Silver.
    1991 BMW 850i. Automatic. Red On Black and 1996 BMW 850Ci. Automatic. Midnight Blue on Gray.
    1994 BMW 850CSi. Black On Blak #107, Black/Black 97-840. White/White CSi. Silver/Silver 97-840

My Cars
    Too many ;-)
    That is very fixable. Don't be afraid to fight with the insurance company over values. Usually their first offer is just that--a starting point and no different than when buying a used car. Ask for a senior adjuster to view the car IN PERSON, and be prepared with documentation to justify its value. I know you are hurting and it's a PITA to deal with right now, but looking back once it's fixed you will forget all about how hard it was.
    "Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
    '89 Z1 Dream Black/Alcantara/Camo, Racing Dynamics, the coolest doors known to man -- Sunny days & Sundays
    '90 Z1 Red w/custom red/black French leather, Ground Control coil overs, BBS RV-F --Mais Oui!
    '91 850i Mauritius Blue/Black --1 of 179

'85 M635CSi Alpine -- "Explosive!!!"
    '03 M3 Conv, Imola w/ SMG -- her daily driver
    '17 “30 Jahre” M3, Macao Blue -- 1/500 made

Previously owned: 74 2002 (x2), 85 325e, 80 323i Baur, 94 325iC, 03 325CiC, 80 633CSi, 90 325iC, 98 318ti (Budget M3), 01 X5, 02 X5 4.6is (x2), 94 M3, 98 M3/4, 16 340i

My Cars
    '95 840Ci/6, F36, E89
    I don't get why they totalled it. Looks like a medium-size sideswipe. Are e31 body panels that expensive?

My Cars
    97 840c & 540I6 90 535im
    Mine is from end to end literally. Taillight to FTP. Unfortunately it was painted in the past so to do it right will mean stripping car and repainting entire car. The more I talk to people I know the more I hope someone will take it and put it on the road. I do not have the resources at this time to bring it back like it deserves. If it could be done , I did it to this car. I do not want to part it. I already have a garage full of parts.

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Negotiate with the insurance company if you want to stay away from a salvage title. Have them pay up to what they would total the car for and then you kick in the rest. This does not look like it would be a salvage job anyway.

My Cars
    '95 840Ci/6, F36, E89
    Sorry to hear this Steve. It could be worse though - a few years ago my wife put my 928 into the drink! I had the battery unhooked to troubleshoot an electrical issue and got called out on a trip. She thought she'd surprise me by washing it, and when it didn't start she gently nudged it out of the garage. The driver's door slammed shut and it built up some serious mv^2 all the way down the hill into my pond. I had to laugh when my buddy sent me a video of a small bass swimming around in the footwell :-)

It was totalled of course, but they paid me a very fair value for it. A few months later I got a call from the guy who bought it at auction for $3500. He said the engine was dry as a bone and still ran -- so he sold it for $5k! He stripped the interior and put in a new LT1 engine. It's now some sort of race car in TX I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zCjRAX4AmQ

At least yours is just cosmetic. It might just buff out :-)

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Seriously, think what these guys have said...
    I let three cars now considered "classics" go and have to remind myself to pull my shoes outta my tail for doing it. One of those cars would've gotten me another E31 and fully restored my current "lovely green money pit".

Do what you can to get it fixed and back on the road. From the pic its not a salvage to me. For whatever reason I wouldn't trust their particular decision to total the car... smells like something that went down back in the 80s involving some GMAC types in NY on their financing side. Seems they were screwing customers by issuing double car note books then repo'ing the cars claiming late payments and buying them at auction for family members.

I'm just sayin.. (as we would say in the "ghetto").

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Mine is from end to end literally. Taillight to FTP. Unfortunately it was painted in the past so to do it right will mean stripping car and repainting entire car. The more I talk to people I know the more I hope someone will take it and put it on the road. I do not have the resources at this time to bring it back like it deserves. If it could be done , I did it to this car. I do not want to part it. I already have a garage full of parts.
    There is NOT enough damage on this car to warrant a "Total Loss".
    Unless you challenge that though, that's what they will do - and you will be screwed.

Again, exactly what are the NUMBERS? Some of us are obviously way more familiar with how to deal with this, you might want to listen...

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Perhaps he just does not want to deal with the headache of going through this entire combative process? Even with the best of body shops, the whole car would need painted to do it right IMO and even then you may end up dealing with issues related to that.

I know we have some real masters of the E31 universe here and all, but there are more factors here than just the numbers alone.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Actually, it is ALL about the numbers in this case. The NADA book is way off on current value, and it is too easy for insurance to declare a total loss for a repair 80% of that value. Thing is, that's also the value they will pay you for the car, and I guarantee you it won't be even close to what this car was worth the day before the accident. So really, even if you don't want to fix it, you still have to challenge them on the value.... unless you're ok accepting $10k less than you should get...

My Cars
    97 840c & 540I6 90 535im
    Thank you all for your input and support. One reason I am proud to be a member here is the passion and care we have for these cars and each other.. I am getting old and picking my battles of what I want to put energy into and insurance companies do not rate high on that list. I do not want to part it out as I looked at it and washed it and frankly I do not have any clue why they totalled it except maybe when I put the steering wheel back on a few days before after swapping it out and didn't realize it wasn't lined up, it drives fine. I think I am going to sell it outright.

My Cars
    1979 635csi 1991 850i
    Thank you all for your input and support. One reason I am proud to be a member here is the passion and care we have for these cars and each other.. I am getting old and picking my battles of what I want to put energy into and insurance companies do not rate high on that list. I do not want to part it out as I looked at it and washed it and frankly I do not have any clue why they totalled it except maybe when I put the steering wheel back on a few days before after swapping it out and didn't realize it wasn't lined up, it drives fine. I think I am going to sell it outright.
    I did in the past own an independent rental car company, so I understand from experience how the insurance companies do business. They are only taking a shot at you, hoping to make it quick and clean for them. They want you to accept what they offer and go away. They do not want to deal with repairing a classic car and the many problem that can occur. I think overall you are getting some good advice here from people. I just want to say, do all your homework before hand...but meet with the insurance company, and you will find that they can be quite flexible when pushed hard. If you are not absurd, they will most likely work things out to your satisfaction...just do not let them walk over or intimidate you. Do not agree to a deal with you buying the car back with a salvage title. You will be sorry later if you ever try to sell. As far as paint goes...with today's level of technology and skill, a good painter can paint the repaired/replaced damaged areas and blend it in with a perfect match, even metallic colors. Do not give in or give up!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast