Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlights

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The headlights are reinstalled and projectors are aimed and set before the outer lens is re-installed.

Yes with heavy loads in the rear they may blind people a bit, but so would HIR's or halogens in that situation.
    I still have to wonder why we can't purchase new outer lenses. My passenger side lens is fine, but the driver's side is messed up...I think from the high pressure hose at the car wash. It seemed to "cut into" the plastic.
    2000 Atlanta Blue Z3 2.5L 5 speed manual with factory hartop.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by charleyZ3 View Post
    For Z3's - what replacement headlights (entire unit) would you recommend - aftermarket? Has anyone used the "Spyder" lights? Do the black ones reflect and work as well as the chrome background?
    OP seems to have posted and then disappeared.

To the OP: What we REALLY need to know is why you looking to replace the entire unit(s). Did yours break? Get damaged? Many of the posts here are recommending polishing your clear outers and simply replacing the bulbs or doing a retrofit. That works well unless you have a shattered outer or your mounting brackets are broken beyond repair.

So... if you want really good answers/options, you'll need to speak up and let us know the WHY behind your question.

k thanks.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    20170417_110905.jpg

HID retrofit with Skylar's brackets

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasTed View Post
    I still have to wonder why we can't purchase new outer lenses. My passenger side lens is fine, but the driver's side is messed up...I think from the high pressure hose at the car wash. It seemed to "cut into" the plastic.
    If it's not deep, you can just sand out those marks. If it is, you can still replace the lens with one from a spare or otherwise damaged assembly.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by redlinealley View Post
    20170417_110905.jpg

HID retrofit with Skylar's brackets
    Any more pictures from a bit farther away? That's the best retrofit I think I've seen without a lower lens in place. Think it helps that the shroud is pretty large to fill that space.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Coupes...
    DSC02792.jpg

Still think the hella retrofit looks best.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Any more pictures from a bit farther away? That's the best retrofit I think I've seen without a lower lens in place. Think it helps that the shroud is pretty large to fill that space.
    Are you kidding me Graham? This is based on the set I made nearly four years ago. See the link in my sig. Plenty of pics - note, however, that all the pics in my build show v1 of my build, which used the stock chrome-ringed lens for the high beam. I gave up on that after two weeks and inserted glass lenses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post

Still think the hella retrofit looks best.
    I'm sure you do think that, Brent - because NLA.
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 07-20-2017 at 03:25 PM.

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    I'm sure you do think that, Brent - because NLA.
    You can get them all day long from Jegs.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hella/288/0081...RoC4L0QAvD_BwE
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    You can get them all day long from Jegs.
    Sure, but that's just the Hella lamps. You still have to get someone to poop out the trim rings and brackets, or make your own/JB Weld them to your reflector bowls. Unless you think those are the ultimate lighting solution, not many folks will bother with all of the rest of the fabrication and internal work. I'd suggest that - while PZ Is are probably better than stock in light output - a proper HID projector will put much more/better light downrange than the Hellas in the PZ Is.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    Are you kidding me Graham? This is based on the set I made nearly four years ago. See the link in my sig. Plenty of pics - note, however, that all the pics in my build show v1 of my build, which used the stock chrome-ringed lens for the high beam. I gave up on that after two weeks and inserted glass lenses.
    I should have recognized them then, it was your guide I followed when I did mine after all!

Still trying to figure out how to keep my chrome lenses intact for mine. Painters tape peels off the chrome

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Still trying to figure out how to keep my chrome lenses intact for mine. Painters tape peels off the chrome
    Yes, it does. I found that out the hard way... I thought I mentioned it in the DIY. If I didn't, I'll edit with that update. Big no-no.

My Cars
    99 Z3 2.8
    So too try and hijack the thread. My head lights have the mounting tabs broken off. I'm trying to decide if I should spend the time fixing what I have, or spend the money to replace what I have. Are there any good aftermarket housings?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Its either Factory Headlights, or Sonar Aftermarket headlights. That's the only two options.

I got a set of Sonar headlights that I just pulled from the SG and I would love to sell them and not put them in the parts room.

Perfect condition, comes with Lamin-x headlight protection film installed which is why they are perfect, but this car never really left the garage.

20525441_10154588022760755_7633451199590367939_n.jpg

$200 plus shipping.
    Last edited by mpire; 08-03-2017 at 04:00 PM.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9, Jetta TDI,
    Why no angle eye style headlight replacement for the Z3 on the market that look factory. Spent hours looking, nothing on Ebay.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbuster View Post
    Why no angle eye style headlight replacement for the Z3 on the market that look factory. Spent hours looking, nothing on Ebay.
    Because the z3 oem headlight lens is not rounded at the bottom like bmws with factory angel eyes. It would require angel eyes custom shaped to the z3 light which doesnt make sense for a company to produce.

My Cars
    2001 MCoupe
    Its either Factory Headlights, or Sonar Aftermarket headlights. That's the only two options.

I got a set of Sonar headlights that I just pulled from the SG and I would love to sell them and not put them in the parts room.

Perfect condition, comes with Lamin-x headlight protection film installed which is why they are perfect, but this car never really left the garage.

20525441_10154588022760755_7633451199590367939_n.jpg

$200 plus shipping.
    Damn, sure wish the front end paint on my SG was that clean. My hood and bumper cover look,like the surface of the moon after 140,000 miles.
    2001 Steel Gray MCoupe - 147,000 miles and owned since new. MCS 2WNR suspension, Hotchkiss swaybar, poly bushings all around, cat delete headers with custom tune, 3.73 LSD, and Clownshoe Motorsports rear subframe reinforcement.

2014 Porsche Cayman S / 2022 BMW X3M Competition / 2020 Ram Rebel

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    There are pros and cons to the Umnitza lights, but I do like the updated style and the bright angel eyes. Here is my car in the bright-#ss Texas sun:

Interesting that they look purplish in this picture. They usually look bluish-white.

Quality is not great... One side has a messed up halogen high beam (points downward and can't be aimed) but the HIDs are bi-zenon so they are the main high-beams now. I haven't bothered trying to fix the messed up halogen high beam. I picked 6000k HID bulbs which I regret-- should have picked a more yellow color. Also I had some issues with condensation. Anyway... All in all I'm glad for the change.

I think in general, though, that I don't like seeing HIDs in oncoming traffic. And with all the jacked-up pickup trucks here in Texas with HIDs and LED 'fog' lights I don't even like driving at night anymore here. If I had it to do over I would just have stuck with halogen. I don't want to blind people. But as low as the Z3 is, and as low as I aimed the lights, it's not likely to happen (especially here).
    Last edited by raubritter; 10-03-2017 at 01:38 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW MZ3 Roadster
    I went for after market lights. I know many people say OEM. My car is 100% OEM other than the headlights. The OEM headlights made my car look 18 years old no matter how much I sanded and polished them. My aftermarket headlights just give a much fresher feel to my near vintage car.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I know those Texas truck blues. The worst ones are oem GM led headlights and any new MOPAR product.

I have the Sonar units (one headlight got smashed when my car was wrecked). I replaced the low beams with Acme bi-xenon black series premium projectors and installed Kensun 4500k HIDs in them. The high beam reflectors are currently unused, and I removed the halos because they look awful.

I'm planning to paint the housings and install better projectors.

My Cars
    Tesla MYP
    I've always preferred the projector retrofit in the OE housings - they look the best IMO, also offer the previously stated benefits. Although, the HIR bulbs have significantly increased nighttime visibility. Good stop-gap solution until the retrofit.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i, 88 325ix
    If they got rid of the edges and added some curves I think we'd have a winner

Quote Originally Posted by MC28REPSOL View Post
    I prefer these myself (OSS Design)

Attachment 604399

Attachment 604398
    WTB: Factory OEM Rear Spoiler (See Pic)

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    They are nice lights but I don't think hexagons really flow with the Z3's design.
    Yeah, all personal opinion of course, but I agree-- those just don't look right on the Z3.

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    I know those Texas truck blues. The worst ones are oem GM led headlights and any new MOPAR product.

I have the Sonar units (one headlight got smashed when my car was wrecked). I replaced the low beams with Acme bi-xenon black series premium projectors and installed Kensun 4500k HIDs in them. The high beam reflectors are currently unused, and I removed the halos because they look awful.

I'm planning to paint the housings and install better projectors.
    Yeah, I especially enjoy the trucks without mufflers. For those times when I forget where the roads are within a few miles of my house. Sort of a sonic google maps.

Good call on the color temp. Are you happy with Kensun bulbs? I need to toss the super cheap "Super Vision HID Bulb" that came with the Umnitzas (and the super unhelpful 6000k color).

I think you'll end up with the best result building your own with quality parts like you're doing. Let's just say that Umnitza doesn't necessarily use the best possible parts. And (if you wanted) you could get their LED angel eyes separately to put on your Sonars.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Quote Originally Posted by raubritter View Post
    Yeah, I especially enjoy the trucks without mufflers. For those times when I forget where the roads are within a few miles of my house. Sort of a sonic google maps.

Good call on the color temp. Are you happy with Kensun bulbs? I need to toss the super cheap "Super Vision HID Bulb" that came with the Umnitzas (and the super unhelpful 6000k color).

I think you'll end up with the best result building your own with quality parts like you're doing. Let's just say that Umnitza doesn't necessarily use the best possible parts. And (if you wanted) you could get their LED angel eyes separately to put on your Sonars.
    We have many different levels that one can request from lower level bulbs to the highest quality of the highest quality. We use whatever the customer pays for and always provide the best possibly value.

For example, we have 3 different levels of H1 bixenon projectors, 2 different levels of bulbs, and 5 different levels of ballasts. For the discerning purchaser who calls in, those options are always available. However, in an effort to simplify the ordering process, they are not available for automated purchase on the web site as it would be too confusing to most buyers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast