Thread: Boosted 328i Street/Track Autocross Build

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo

Boosted 328i Street/Track Autocross Build

Hey everyone,

I'm going to move my questions from my "m52 turbo build" from the forced induction section to here. I've completed my turbo build with the help of the guys that lounge over there and was hoping to get some ideas from everyone here. People weren't to responsive to track/and or related questions:

The car:

97 328i Vert with removable hardtop
    Cutring headgasket/Copper Spacer/ARP studs
    T3 SPA manifold
    T4 Precision 6262 JB adapted to T3
    Turbosmart Eboost street
    Turbo smart waste 7psi spring
    60lb injectors
    Blow Through MAF
    Walboro 255
    Tuned by Zack at 22RPD, etc...
    Grip force Chromoly flywheel with 6 puck clutch disc, stage 3
    Drilled/Slotted 330 Brakes in front with SS Lines
    Stock brakes in back with Drilled/Slotted rotors
    Cheap JOM coilovers
    Style 32's 17X8 square, no rubber on them yet

^ just a little background info

The car currently has no carpet and has been gutted, can't decide if I want to install carpet or get diamond floor pans as weight reduction. The soft top and frame has already been removed to reduce weight.

I would love to hear from everyone here on how to get this convertible to handle better and overhaul the suspension for a good tight track/street setup.

Heres the link to my turbo build incase you guys want to look it over:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...52-Turbo-Build

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by 328iFun; 07-07-2017 at 01:49 PM.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Cool build. You'll need a roll bar to do track days.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Thanks

Do you suggest making your own or buying one? If so, what's a good one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Cool build!

Some harsh reality: the convertible will never handle anywhere near as well as the tintop cars. You can mitigate the floppy chassis to a point, but it's not going to be great.

First step: what's your budget?

Second step: After you've been to the track a couple times, take out the JOM garbage and throw them away. You don't need megabuck suspension, but after the first few events you do you will likely want something that works. Koni yellow shocks with H&R springs is a far better setup, and much more affordable than the GC or TCK options (which are excellent for the cost, by the way).

Third: many organizations require convertibles to have a roll bar. Kirk and Bimmerhaus make decent/good ones, but your best bet is to talk to a local cage builder who works with E36s frequently. This is not a place to cheap out on.

You will also probably want wider and stickier tires at some point. The go to setup for an E36 is 255/40/17 on a 17x9 ET42, with coilovers, fender roll, and a spacer up front. I'd wait on this until you decide to jump down the rabbit hole with both feet in though.

Lastly, I would not run drilled rotors on track. They look cool but tend to crack under track abuse. More importantly though is the pads-- a set of track pads by Hawk or Performance Friction are a good starting point but are by no means the only players in town.

I highly highly recommend your first performance event be an autocross, and your track event be a driving school with BMW club or another similar organization.
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 07-07-2017 at 04:07 PM.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    IIRC, style 32s are very heavily as well, if you can find it in you budget, forged wheels, otherwise there are some decently light cast wheels that aren't terribly heavy, OZ makes some lighter cast wheels that won't break the bank, otherwise, I think BBS RS/OEM style 5s (multi-piece) are pretty light.

Dropping rotating unsprung weight is always helpful all around

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Not many mods needed or recommended until you see how you, and that boosted car, like the track and/or autocross. If tracking, put a roll bar in it and get some decent track pads, and go for it.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    Cool build!

Some harsh reality: the convertible will never handle anywhere near as well as the tintop cars. You can mitigate the floppy chassis to a point, but it's not going to be great.

First step: what's your budget?

Second step: After you've been to the track a couple times, take out the JOM garbage and throw them away. You don't need megabuck suspension, but after the first few events you do you will likely want something that works. Koni yellow shocks with H&R springs is a far better setup, and much more affordable than the GC or TCK options (which are excellent for the cost, by the way).

Third: many organizations require convertibles to have a roll bar. Kirk and Bimmerhaus make decent/good ones, but your best bet is to talk to a local cage builder who works with E36s frequently. This is not a place to cheap out on.

You will also probably want wider and stickier tires at some point. The go to setup for an E36 is 255/40/17 on a 17x9 ET42, with coilovers, fender roll, and a spacer up front. I'd wait on this until you decide to jump down the rabbit hole with both feet in though.

Lastly, I would not run drilled rotors on track. They look cool but tend to crack under track abuse. More importantly though is the pads-- a set of track pads by Hawk or Performance Friction are a good starting point but are by no means the only players in town.

I highly highly recommend your first performance event be an autocross, and your track event be a driving school with BMW club or another similar organization.
    Thanks!

I'm not trying to win any races or anything just maybe take the car to the track every once in awhile and have fun with it. Verts are def turds in comparison to their slick top brothers and sisters.

But I would like for it to handle pretty decently, even though.

Budget, I thought my turbo build would cost me 5k when it cost me 6.5...

So to get this track ready I'm gonna shoot for 4k tops to be spent as cash flows in. The car sat for two years and I've been working on it for 4 months straight so I'm in no rush.

I've already got seats with 5 point harness. Removed soft top and frame, carpet and several undeeded items to reduce weight, cf hood, etc...

Konis looks reasonably priced 600 or so... what about sway bars? Camber adjustment? And the rear end what should I look to be replacing in the rear; car has 130,000 miles.

I like roll bar on bimmerhaus.

Guys feel free to school me on this suspension. I know how to turn a wrench but not what replace it get etc...

Thanks for the help

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    IIRC, style 32s are very heavily as well, if you can find it in you budget, forged wheels, otherwise there are some decently light cast wheels that aren't terribly heavy, OZ makes some lighter cast wheels that won't break the bank, otherwise, I think BBS RS/OEM style 5s (multi-piece) are pretty light.

Dropping rotating unsprung weight is always helpful all around

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Gotcha, style 32s make great street style wheels, look into.

Was looking into buying style 5s, but there so damn expensive. Like you said aftermarket is lighter and cheaper so I can't justify paying 300 a wheel for a nice set of style 5s

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    The last thing you need is new wheels. Like aeronaut said, do some track days and see how the turbo holds up first. An SCCA Track Night in America would be a great first event.

Might be cheaper and easier to just get a beater Miata for a track car and keep this one pretty.