Thread: M tech II steering wheel on early E34 help...

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34

M tech II steering wheel on early E34 help...

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get my M tech II steering wheel work but unfortunately there is play on the steering wheel and when I turn it something seems to get stuck and my horn doesn't work.

I have read a few threads and the only thing I found is that I might need a tiny spacer that goes behind the 22mm nut that holds the steering wheel.... but I also what to know if there is a spacer on the column I should get since there will be a gap there.

For the horn I did not find much other than I might have to remove that white push pin?

If anyone has experience with this I will appreciate the help because I want to get that steering wheel going on my car.

Thanks..

My Cars
    1990 535/5
    Pretty sure the spacer goes on the column, behind the steering wheel.

The white pin does in fact need to be removed or the wheel will catch in a most dangerous way. It can just pulled straight out along with the spring.

I did not have to do anything to keep horn function, so check to make sure the spring loaded contact is riding on the metal ring. Also that all of the spade connectors are firmly attached under the horn cover

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre0Tre34 View Post
    Pretty sure the spacer goes on the column, behind the steering wheel.

The white pin does in fact need to be removed or the wheel will catch in a most dangerous way. It can just pulled straight out along with the spring.

I did not have to do anything to keep horn function, so check to make sure the spring loaded contact is riding on the metal ring. Also that all of the spade connectors are firmly attached under the horn cover
    Okay I will try again by removing that white pin and I am going to order that small factory spacer to see if that does the trick... my factory wheel came with one but it doesn't seem to be enough.

My Cars
    e34 M5, 991
    I did this with two spacers -- one on either side of the wheel.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeinhor View Post
    I did this with two spacers -- one on either side of the wheel.
    Cool, I would have to buy only one since my current wheel has one. What did you do for the horn? And do you have a big gap between the wheel and the column?

My Cars
    e34,e38,e39,e46,e70,e90
    Along the same lines, will a standard 94 steering wheel fit on a 95? Can it be modified to fit and function normally?

02 e39 540i Sport (Son), 01 DINAN 7 (Me), 12 e70 X5 x35i (Mrs), 95 e34 525i (Daughter 2), 01 e46 325Ci vert (Daughter 1)

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by kouks View Post
    Along the same lines, will a standard 94 steering wheel fit on a 95? Can it be modified to fit and function normally?
    From what I have read yes...

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    I got the adapter, removed the pin and now the steering wheel works fine. But I still have not been able to solve the mystery of the horn... it does not work at all, I don't even get electricity when I cross those two wires that connect to the horn pad.

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    I think you've made a couple of errors.
    See this handy page to make sure. http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/...ring_wheel.php
    Good luck!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoods50 View Post
    I think you've made a couple of errors.
    See this handy page to make sure. http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/...ring_wheel.php
    Good luck!
    Thanks but this write up is for the newer E34s with different steering column plus it does not even cover the wheel I am using...

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Can you post a pic of the backside of the wheel?

Does it look like this?

Last edited by demetk; 07-17-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    demet

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    Try looking into what the e30 guys do. The early e34 columns are similar/same wheel design. AFAIK, just the one spacer behind the wheel and you should be good to go.
    -Alex

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post

Does it look like this?

Your link is broken but it looks like the one in this link http://bmwe32.masscom.net/billrickar...eringwheel.htm
    Last edited by ikaru; 07-17-2017 at 07:14 PM.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by AHenry014 View Post
    Try looking into what the e30 guys do. The early e34 columns are similar/same wheel design. AFAIK, just the one spacer behind the wheel and you should be good to go.
    I'm going to see if the e30 column is the same thing. The guy that sold me the wheel had it in a e30 and he told me he didn't have to do anything special for the horn to work.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Ikaru, the column is the same for an E30. Furthermore, the horn connection is the same for all E34s for a few years after yours (I'm blanking on when the horn ground set-up changes).

You should have a ground wire (brown) from the column, and a (white I think) wire to attach to the M Tech II removable center. If everything is hooked up check the wiring again (maybe the wires are on the wrong tabs?), otherwise there may be an issue in your column (or as Tre suggested, you simply don't have ground contact on the slip ring).

Just one spacer/washer is all that is called for, but I suppose two won't hurt? There is lots of thread engagement either way.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post
    Ikaru, the column is the same for an E30. Furthermore, the horn connection is the same for all E34s for a few years after yours (I'm blanking on when the horn ground set-up changes).

You should have a ground wire (brown) from the column, and a (white I think) wire to attach to the M Tech II removable center. If everything is hooked up check the wiring again (maybe the wires are on the wrong tabs?), otherwise there may be an issue in your column (or as Tre suggested, you simply don't have ground contact on the slip ring).

Just one spacer/washer is all that is called for, but I suppose two won't hurt? There is lots of thread engagement either way.
    I have one spacer behind the wheel and the other right before the washer and nut. The fitment is just fine... as far as the horn goes I connected the wires properly but I don't seem to be getting electricity through them, since I crossed them and I dont get sparks.... horn fuse is fine..

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsBlue View Post

Hi I noticed the Mtech II steering wheel does not have any cables that go to the column. Only the wires that connect to the removable center... I checked it and I did not seem to find any signs of a cable ever being there... Plus the old airbagged steering wheel only has the airbag connection coming out of it.. I am wondering if there is anything I could do?//

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post

Does it look like this?

It looks just like that one...

My Cars
    2016 640i, 1990 535iM
    What kind of spacer is being used
    2016 640i Coupe'
    1990 Bmw 535i Turbo 600whp

1999 740iL: Sold
    1997 740i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 535i: Crashed and Parted
    1988 528e: Crashed and parted
    IG- @Rogetta_Stone