Thread: Considering a 318ti

My Cars
    1999 Golf

Considering a 318ti

Hope folks don't mind me asking this question here.. I'd like to hear from 318 owners and fans rather than regular BMW guys...

I'm trying to decide between an early 2000's Saab 9-3 or a 318ti. I actually used to own a 9-3 but it had an undisclosed side accident and sadly I ended up getting rid of it.

On the other hand, I've always liked 318ti's but I've never owned one. Most of the reviews I've read say they are underpowered and their handling is "love-it or hated-it". Also, the interior looks rather dated which is somewhat important because I drive 60 or so miles a day for work.

It also seems like the community is polarized on whether 318tis are any good. Half the folks say the m42 engine is utter garbage, while other folks say its decent. I'm not interested at all in doing a motor swap but some tuning or throwing a charger on it might be a fun project down the road.

So what do you guys think of these cars? Do they hold up after almost 20 years?

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    Mines holding up fine.

The downing Atlanta charger is long out of production. And it wasn't all that and a bag of chips back before the turn of the century either. I looked very hard at that option before swapping my motor.

The M42 is good but not great. Treat it well and it will do the same. It is a solid engine.

Inwould however plan plan for a 2.8 swap. They actually made a 323ti in Europe. Never imported to NA. I hated having to turn off my A/C to merger onto the highway...

on the the plus side the small motor teaches you how to drive with momentum. But the oversteer is unbearable. Get the M3 front end (other than springs) under there asafp. Then it drives. It's like a little tank but appreciates the X brace and a strut bar. If you get a pre-4/98 build swap to later vented fronts or the M3 set up you put in to reduce oversteer.

If you havent, go to www.318ti.org. All you ever wanted to know- good and bad.
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    96 318ti
    i had a similar debate a few months back. I went with the 318ti. Since it had the same engine as my old z3, I thought it would be almost as fun to drive. Long story short, i regret not getting a Saab 9-3 turbo.
    DIY 96Z3 (M44): Drive Belts, Starter, H2O Pump
    DIY 00ZM (S52): Gauges: clock, battery, oil

My Cars
    1997 328i
    I have owned both the cars you are considering. Overall, I loved them both but the Saab would take the cake over the 318ti. The interior of the Saab will be much, much nicer than the 318 as well. Both are great cars, but I think for what you consider important, the Saab is the way to go.