RM European Auto Parts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common N55 equipped Transmission Issue?

My Cars
    135i M sport

Common N55 equipped Transmission Issue?

Figured I would start a thread regarding a recent issue with my first BMW, a 2011 135i. First off, I love this car, most definitely one of my favorites I have owned.

However, as of yesterday I have been unable to shift my manual gearbox into reverse at 72k (really kind of a BMW turn-off as a new owner who planned to eventually trade up for an m235). All other other gears function flawlessly and properly. Reverse stopped working completely unexpectedly; no grinds, pop-outs, or noises prior to complete failure to function (absurd for a transmission with this type of mileage).

I immediately ceased driving upon this discovery in fear of further issues, and sat down to do a little research. After a light search I had found about 6-8 threads created within the past 5 years on various BMW forums with the exact same issue at mileages between 40k and 80k and with only one resolve; a whole re-manufactured tranny from BMW or a like parts outlet (no rebuilds are possible, just a ~$4,500 transmission)

This morning I had made calls to 2 BMW dealers and dropped the car off at my local indie for confirmation from a licensed mechanic; who declared the transmission function-able but in need of replacement due to the reverse gear not functioning at all (as I had deducted), and the inability to purchase transmission internals from BMW for a rebuild.

I spoke with an SA at BMW of Bridgeport who had never heard of this issue, which prompted a call to a family friend who happens to be a very seasoned mechanic at BMW of Darien; again, he had never encountered this issue with a manual transmission before while working with BMW, stated I would indeed need a whole transmission assembly, and then prompted me to call BMW North America because this should be a non-issue with this transmission, especially with the current mileage and fact that reverse is not used as often as the forward gears.

I will be calling BMW NA within the next few days to try to figure out some type of resolve that doesn't require payments of absurd amounts of $ to fix an issue that shouldn't be plaguing a 6 year old BMW with only 72k miles on the clock. Hopefully they will be insightful and understanding of the situation.

Since I have owned the car; Oil has been changed every 6k and when there are material changes in temperature due to the season, the battery was replaced and programmed, fixed a window regulator, replaced the reverse light switch, and upgraded to 1M control arms. I drive about 85 highway miles 4-5 days a week to work and very rarely rev past 4.5k with absolutely no quick gear drops or too quick of up shifts (in other words I do not beat on this car at all, that is what my Honda is for).

To sum up, I essentially just wanted to know if there were any more individuals out there with information who may be having the same issues currently, and hope that this thread could act as an informative medium to discuss this issue that seems to plague some GS6-45BZ transmissions.

I will also try my best to update this thread as my current situation progresses in order to inform others who may be interested.

... and a preemptive thank you to all who comment; Any feedback from more experienced BMW enthusiasts is greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I'm wondering if the shift linkage is the problem as you've written that there's no grinding when attempting to shift into reverse.

My Cars
    135i M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    I'm wondering if the shift linkage is the problem as you've written that there's no grinding when attempting to shift into reverse.
    That is what I believe it to be. It actually had a very short higher pitch grind once while trying to use reverse with a bit more force than normal, the morning after it ceased working (when cold), but that was it. It is pretty wild that such a relatively small issue that has just seemed to happen on its own will have to result in an entire unit replacement.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    here's my thoughts....

yuck - that's certainly the last thing you'd want to have happen. at least it's not an automatic and you lost all forward gears or something, but, still, damn annoying!

that said - the world is an imperfect place, right? Screws fall out, things break - we get it. still no comfort when something fails in an unexpected manner.

i'd inquire if there's any service bulletins or other known information on this issue. i'd also try and see if I could somehow get the service records on the vehicle (if you don't already have them) - some dealers are more helpful on this than others in my experience. if i couldn't get the records, i'd at least see if i could cajole an SA into looking through them to see if they spot anything interesting that might help. perhaps this issue was reported in the past but couldn't be duplicated, or maybe some repair was made previously? not likely, but it certainly won't hurt to pursue/ask.

when contacting NA, i'd be sure to do my best to deflect/hide/make disappear any anger/frustration, etc. and just try to be pleasant and get them to want to help you. it may not work, but we can all pretty much assume being nasty with them will go nowhere! as an aside, not implying you would act in any certain manner - just a comment/suggestion. keep in mind the car is 6 years old and has 72k on it so from BMW's perspective they don't have to do anything.

if it gets to the point where you have to pay for a repair - something to think about - at least in my area - by time you factor in the BMW Car Club discount our dealer offers - they end up being very competitive with the indy shops.

unfortunately, i'm not qualified to speak on the "is this common" portion of your question - so, I won't attempt! i'll leave that to the techs here that see these cars all the time. in my own experience as an avid DIYer and my own time spent helping club members fix cars, i've never heard of this issue but that really doesn't mean much.

keep us updated on how this goes.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    BMW has a dedicated department to cover good will repairs for unusual out of warranty failures like yours.
    Find a service advisor that will advocate your case up to corporate and be good to them. Have them help you. Try to avoid ranting about it or smearing online, because BMW has been known to take care of very many customers, where they didn't have to.

All car manufacturers have failures that shouldn't have happened, but at least BMW takes care of them better than most.

My brother in law has a newish Toyota Sienna minivan that at right around 62k miles, the automatic transmission stopped changing gears past 1st. The vehicle had just gone out of warranty.
    It went to Toyota dealers, checked all the usual, fluids etc. Nothing could fix it. Replacement transmission was needed. They tried to appeal to corporate, and only got a minor discount. Still ended up paying for a replacement transmission job for right under $4000.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    This is a situation where I would totally expect BMW to step up and pay for the replacement. Whether or not they will, is another story. BMW does seem to be extremely generous with goodwill repairs. I've been a dealer tech for the past 12 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    135i M sport
    First off, thank you all for the wisdom.

I plan on seeking assistance/support from a Service adviser at my local dealer prior to calling BMW NA, I figure the more support the better.

The purpose of this post was most definitely not to rant about BMW, but to cultivate conversation about this issue, and seek as much info as possible prior to speaking with any BMW representatives. I plan to speak to BMW NA with utmost respect and patience, as my goal is to reach a mutual agreement regarding a replacement. This will be my very first time dealing with BMW so I really have no basis to rant online about them, and would not do so unless absolutely justifiable. I am not angry with BMW in the least bit, just pretty upset in general I lost a tranny at 72k miles (just sold a 200k del sol with original clutch and tranny that functioned like new) through something I could apparently not avoid or control with proper maintenance and treatment, and all on my first BMW too. It has been only 2 days and I miss driving her already, however, I have been neglecting my civic a bit this past couple months, so she finally gets a little love for a while.

Through my experiences, this does indeed seem like a textbook situation where a goodwill fix (or at least a partial goodwill fix) is completely justified. I just hope BMW feels the same, and does the right thing. Fingers are crossed.

In any event, I will keep you all updated. Thanks again for the support and info.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I would first have the linkage inspected for any binding, misalignment.

My Cars
    135i M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    I would first have the linkage inspected for any binding, misalignment.
    Did that already, and unfortunately it was confirmed by a mechanic I use when I can't do the work myself, it is most definitely inside the tranny.

My Cars
    135i M sport

Update*

Have spoken to multiple BMW dealers in my area looking for someone to possibly aid me in this attempt to contact BMW NA, found one who had dealt with this issue once (according) to an individual I spoke to on 1addicts forum who had the exact same issue and claims BMW NA picked up the tab for a replacement Tranny. However, due to scheduling and distance I will be using a dealer a bit closer for my initial diagnoses as I am told a part of the procedure (despite already knowing the solution) is to have a dealer diagnose it and get the okay from a manager to advocate for me to BMW NA. I have an appointment Next Wednesday for a diagnoses.

One service adviser at the closest dealer had essentially "poisoned the well" by stating BMW NA just wont do goodwill fixes unless you spend more money with the dealer, after asking about the procedure for this type of situation. I will be cancelling the appointment that I had originally made with this dealer due to proximity, becasue it just didn't feel like they cared at all.

I was also given a quote for a replacement transmission of $4,500-5,500 core charge dependent. Then another $600-$1,000 for labor. Looks like for a total it would be around $6,500 if I have to pay out of pocket for this fix. Not pretty numbers for such a young BMW.

My Cars
    135i M sport

BMW North America- Admits flaw but not willing to cover in a material way!

Received a call back from BMW NA today only offering to pay for ~$1,200 of the replacement transmission despite the total cost being over $6,000.

Couldn't be more upset with BMW at the moment. The representative I had spoken to on the phone would not transfer my call to my designated agent after I received a message from him claiming "~$1,200 is the best we can do". She averted the conversation every time I asked to speak to someone who could help me.

Was told to call the dealer for extra help paying for the transmission, she claimed they can reduce the price of the repair, but upon speaking with the dealer I was told BMW sets the prices for replacement parts and they could not adjust the price of a transmission at the dealer level, was told to call BMW NA.

So BMW NA admits that there is an issue here that shouldn't happen by offering to cover a portion of the fix, however at the absolute bare minimum as to not encourage me to even get it fixed at a BMW dealer or even purchase another BMW like I had planned to do when the price of the m235's came down a bit. Really not understanding their angle, especially with the influence of forums and social media the way it is toady.

It is nice to know they are willing to help, but at this immaterial amount it is just even more upsetting; as it is essentially admitting there is an issue with the transmission not caused by user error, but they could care less in the grand scheme of things. I was under the impression a full backing of their product would be the outcome. As recently I have spoken with an individual who had the same tranny issue about 3 moths ago in the same state who had the entire replacement covered by BMW NA. Despite me telling them this, I was told there was no database to confirm whether other people have had help from BMW NA regarding this same issue? (Sounds like a complete lie to me)

To sum up, I was told after 30 minutes of speaking with the representative I would get another call from my assigned agent in 3-5 business days, after asking to speak with him 3-4 times. At the moment nothing is looking promising but again, I will keep you all updated.

Have had no luck finding an N55 trans outside of BMW, So it looks like I am stuck with a ~$20,000 driveway ornament made by BMW right now.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Transmission Assembly
    BMW 535 i W-86K M.T 6 MONTHS WARRANTY 86,311 A AA4157 $1850.17 Nationwide Used Auto Parts-ELITE USA-NY(Central-Valley) Request_Quote 845-827-5507/877-909-1010 Request_Insurance_Quote

I understand that you want BMW to buy you a new transmission, but it seems that's not going to happen. They warranty the cars for 4 years and 48k miles, and after that, you are on your own, unless of course you bought an extended warranty.

It is worth noting that you are not BMW NA's customer, because you did not buy a NEW BMW, and even telling them that you were planning on buying a used M235 when the price comes down doesn't make you their potential customer, either. BMW NA generally aims Goodwill Repairs at customers who buy cars from BMW NA. (If you had bought a CPO car, you'd have a warranty.)

While it's very nice when BMW goes above and beyond, to cover an expensive repair on a car well past the warranty period, it's generally most common when they have a multitude of failures on that particular item, and service bulletins, etc, regarding it. I find no SIBs regarding this transmission.

The above transmission was located via Car-Part.com

Here's another one, from Florida:

Transmission Assembly
    BMW 335 i MT, (6 speed), Cpe, RWD, i,3.0L,MANUAL TRANS,RWD 4025 $1200 AutoWorld Used Auto Parts USA-FL(Opa-Locka) Request_Quote 305-685-6033 Request_Insurance_Quot
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 07-20-2017 at 08:42 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    135i M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Transmission Assembly
    BMW 535 i W-86K M.T 6 MONTHS WARRANTY 86,311 A AA4157 $1850.17 Nationwide Used Auto Parts-ELITE USA-NY(Central-Valley) Request_Quote 845-827-5507/877-909-1010 Request_Insurance_Quote

I understand that you want BMW to buy you a new transmission, but it seems that's not going to happen. They warranty the cars for 4 years and 48k miles, and after that, you are on your own, unless of course you bought an extended warranty.

It is worth noting that you are not BMW NA's customer, because you did not buy a NEW BMW, and even telling them that you were planning on buying a used M235 when the price comes down doesn't make you their potential customer, either. BMW NA generally aims Goodwill Repairs at customers who buy cars from BMW NA. (If you had bought a CPO car, you'd have a warranty.)

While it's very nice when BMW goes above and beyond, to cover an expensive repair on a car well past the warranty period, it's generally most common when they have a multitude of failures on that particular item, and service bulletins, etc, regarding it. I find no SIBs regarding this transmission.

The above transmission was located via Car-Part.com

Here's another one, from Florida:

Transmission Assembly
    BMW 335 i MT, (6 speed), Cpe, RWD, i,3.0L,MANUAL TRANS,RWD 4025 $1200 AutoWorld Used Auto Parts USA-FL(Opa-Locka) Request_Quote 305-685-6033 Request_Insurance_Quot
    Appreciate the links! Have never seen/heard of that site as a source for used parts.

Of course I would love for them to cover a New gear box... But you're right, it isn't going to happen. Just really taken back that a part that costs no more than a couple hundred is the reason I need a whole gear box. I could fix the whole problem if BMW actually sold internal parts.

Also I think it is insane this part couldn't hold up to normal driving conditions any longer than 70k miles. I have owned cars with well over 150k on all original trans parts and clutches that got the absolute sh*t kicked out of them every day, and never had an issue; this is my welcoming to Euro cars.

All in all lesson learned I suppose; looks like newer, used BMW's should be purchased with a 3rd party warranty, these odd failures seem to be quite an issue.

To sum up the thread; BMW NA did agree to cover 20% of the repair, I tried my best to get 50% but to no avail.

Next issue to tackle is how to get this thing back on he road functioning like it was a month ago. Looks like those used tranny's are a viable option, just worried It may have the same issue at some point. BMW Of South ATL sells rebuilds for about $3,600 as-well; currently trying to get BMW NA to transfer the 20% goodwill towards the purchase of BMW South ATL Trans. *Fingers crossed*

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post

if it gets to the point where you have to pay for a repair - something to think about - at least in my area - by time you factor in the BMW Car Club discount our dealer offers - they end up being very competitive with the indy shops.
    i'll just post that again. i'd certainly be asking dealerships or shops doing the work if they provide a club discount. when my fuel pump failed in my e46 while on vacation a few years ago, the club discount offered by the dealership easily covered my membership for awhile.....

there are other dealerships that will price better than South ATL - not sure how it all works out when factoring in core and shipping, etc. It's not uncommon for dealerships to match other dealerships on parts pricing. check out bmwdirectparts.com as well. when i had the fuel pump issue mentioned above - the dealership also matched parts pricing...
    Last edited by shadowpuck; 07-24-2017 at 09:39 PM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 135i vert
    I had the same issue happen to my 2011 135i 6MT, wouldn't go in reverse gear one day for no reason. Called BMW NA in May. Since they will not authorize anyone to service the transmission, and offer no replacement parts, the only option is to either (1) push your car backwards (2) find pull-through spots always (3) pay $4,000+ for a replacement transmission. And that's essentially what they told me. Mine failed at only 59K miles.

This is a recurring problem and will only continue to get worse as most 2011-2013 6MT 135/335/535 series fall into that 50K mile or more category and out of warranty. There aren't very many junk yard transmissions and even if there were, how do you know it doesn't have the same issue?

Very disappointing from BMW NA. Clearly there is an issue with reverse gear synchro quality from the factory.
    Last edited by Goranp; 07-27-2017 at 08:02 AM.

My Cars
    135i M sport
    Not a member unfortunately. Something to think about though.

I actually got the dealer to drop the whole cost $1,100, and with the 20% BMW NA payed I am looking at a brand new trans and clutch for $4,700 as opposed to the original $6,700 w/ clutch. Still getting completely shafted for having to replace a trans at 72k but I learned a lesson about purchasing BMW's out of warranty. Pulled a couple strings for a low interest loan, and Ill have my car back again. It is funny; total parts cost is $4,100 labor is only $600.

I will be keeping all of my documents and alike just in case in the near future there is an extended warranty or recall regarding this issue, as I will re-open my case and try to re-coupe the expenses related to the replacement.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    $48 for a CCA membership - joining takes 2 minutes....3 if you are busy....

My Cars
    135i M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Goranp View Post
    I had the same issue happen to my 2011 135i 6MT, wouldn't go in reverse gear one day for no reason. Called BMW NA in May. Since they will not authorize anyone to service the transmission, and offer no replacement parts, the only option is to either (1) push your car backwards (2) find pull-through spots always (3) pay $4,000+ for a replacement transmission. And that's essentially what they told me. Mine failed at only 59K miles.

This is a recurring problem and will only continue to get worse as most 2011-2013 6MT 135/335/535 series fall into that 50K mile or more category and out of warranty. There aren't very many junk yard transmissions and even if there were, how do you know it doesn't have the same issue?

Very disappointing from BMW NA. Clearly there is an issue with reverse gear synchro quality from the factory.
    Unfortunately the latter option is really the only way to go, and if you got lucky enough to have the failed reverse synchro, you might also be the lucky one to really need that reverse and not have it had you chose the two former routes.

As one of the above posters had shown, there are some tranny's out there (although scarce, and mostly over 70k), but I wouldn't risk spending $2,000 on a used one when there is even a small probability that I have the same reverse issue.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    BMWCCA:Well worth the admission price, discounts-let alone the advice, recommendations & support from active members.
    One more option to consider!
    Last edited by MIKYZZ4; 08-07-2017 at 04:46 PM.

My Cars
    135i M sport
    I will be applying for a membership to BMWCCA for sure.. When I inquired about discounts this morning at this specific dealer they didn't seem too happy about it and claimed that they were unable to give me any more. Go figure.

I actually just received my car back today, very happy to be able to drive her again, although I have to take it easy to break everything in. Excited about the new parts but bummed I had to finance so much for repairs. Is what it is though. Hope BMW will figure out this currently rare failure and correct it for the sake of others, as this wasn't a fun process.

Also, wanted to thank every once again for contributing to this thread, I've got to say; between here and 1addicts the BMW community has proven to be a pretty awesome group of people.

My Cars
    2011 335i xDrive 6MT
    I just experienced the same issue at the same mileage as you - 73K. BMW NA would not cover a dime, I'm not fixing this as all the other gears work great - I plan to (1) push my car backwards (2) find pull-through spots always. Pretty sad on BMW NA part, they lost a customer and I will retell my story every time someone sees my pushing my car backwards and asks "what happened?"..

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Malandrino74 View Post
    I just experienced the same issue at the same mileage as you - 73K. BMW NA would not cover a dime, I'm not fixing this as all the other gears work great - I plan to (1) push my car backwards (2) find pull-through spots always. Pretty sad on BMW NA part, they lost a customer and I will retell my story every time someone sees my pushing my car backwards and asks "what happened?"..
    Did you by chance purchase this car new? If so I will believe that you might be BMW's target customer, albeit a bit on the bottom of the scale.

If you purchase this car used, not from BMW, then they don't care if you are a customer or not. They are in the business of selling new cars, so they are not too worried about your opinion about the brand.

Why do I only own older BMW's you ask? Well simple I have purchased 1 BMW new, and may or maynot but another in the future. I am not their target audience, and I know this.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2011 335i xDrive 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Did you by chance purchase this car new? If so I will believe that you might be BMW's target customer, albeit a bit on the bottom of the scale.

If you purchase this car used, not from BMW, then they don't care if you are a customer or not. They are in the business of selling new cars, so they are not too worried about your opinion about the brand.

Why do I only own older BMW's you ask? Well simple I have purchased 1 BMW new, and may or maynot but another in the future. I am not their target audience, and I know this.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, I did purchase it new - tracked it while it was being built/shipped, etc... I guess I learnt an expensive lesson Thanks for the welcome..

My Cars
    2011 135i
    Just found this thread. Same exact problem for my 2011. She ticked over 71k and now it won’t go into reverse😩. I bought it CPO and got an extended warranty so we’ll see if they cover it...with this not just being an isolated issue but multiple 6MT having this issue how can BMW not recognize that there’s an issue here?

My Cars
    07 miniS 09 328x1
    I have fixed the reverse issue with parts that are not available in US, only in Europe, but was able to ship them very fast(orders Friday - got Monday befor 10 am) I have pictures or damage and repair if anyone is interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast