Thread: 325i problems, eating oil, misfire, door locks randomly don't work, fuel gauge issues

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i

Question 325i problems, eating oil, misfire, door locks randomly don't work, fuel gauge issues

Well my wife came home early this morning and informed me something was going on with her car as it seemed to have no power and was idling rough. Just pulled the codes off of it.

DME -> 7B/F2 - Signal, characteristic map cooling, short circuit to negative or open circuit
    F6/78 - Secondary air system, flow rate too low, bank 2
    F5/78 - Secondary air system, flow rate too low, bank 1
    F1/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 4, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
    03/A1 - Ignition activation, cylinder 6, signal line, short circuit to positive
    F3/B3 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
    01/A1 - Ignition activation, cylinder 2, signal line, short circuit to positive
    Shadow-memory:
    7B/F2 - Signal, characteristic map cooling, short circuit to negative or open circuit
    F6/78 - Secondary air system, flow rate too low, bank 2
    F5/78 - Secondary air system, flow rate too low, bank 1
    F1/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 4, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
    03/A1 - Ignition activation, cylinder 6, signal line, short circuit to positive
    F3/B3 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
    01/A1 - Ignition activation, cylinder 2, signal line, short circuit to positive
    5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
    5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
    5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
    3F/14 - Control unit self-test 3
    34/02 - Solenoid valve, exhaust flap, short circuit to negative or open circuit

ABS* -> 5E16/20 - CAN Timeout instrument cluster
    5DF4/20 - Vehicle power < 9 Volt.
    5DB3/A0 - Wheel speed sensor rear left start recognition v_comparison.
    5DA3/A0 - Wheel speed sensor front right start recognition v_comparison.
    5D93/A0 - Wheel speed sensor front left start recognition v_comparison.

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
    50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

IKE -> D7/81 - Tank sensor 2

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
    34/01 - Brake light, left

ZKE -> 2A/3F - Central locking system: Relay doesn't switch to on at Central saving
    29/0C - Central locking system: Relay doesn't switch to on at Unlocking
    42/04 - Anti-theft alarm system: Interior protection
    3D/04 - Central locking system: Short circuit or Open circuit at Motor Tailgate
    Shadow-memory:
    8A/01 - Alarm memory: Radio interior protection
    8F/02 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated
    82/21 - Alarm memory: Door contact Passenger door

SPMFT -> Shadow-memory:
    02/0B - Low voltage mirror-heating

SPMBT -> Shadow-memory:
    02/0C - Low voltage mirror-heating

I cleared the codes and then had

DME -> 7B/72 - Signal, characteristic map cooling, short circuit to negative or open circuit
    F3/B1 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A)
    Shadow-memory:
    7B/72 - Signal, characteristic map cooling, short circuit to negative or open circuit
    F3/B1 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A)
    5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
    5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
    5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

Errors after clear:

no errorsShadow-memory:

Errors after clear:

5E16/20 - CAN Timeout instrument cluster

SRS -> Shadow-memory:

Errors after clear:

Shadow-memory:

SPMFT -> Shadow-memory:
    02/0B - Low voltage mirror-heating

Errors after clear:

Shadow-memory:
    no errors

SPMBT -> Shadow-memory:
    02/0C - Low voltage mirror-heating

Errors after clear:

Shadow-memory:
    no errors

The guy she bought the car from said he had replaced the CCV but the car seems to be eating oil lately. The bad thing is the oil light doesn't come on when the oil gets low, it don't even turn on with the oil level low enough that the oil don't show on the dipstick which concerns me.

I'm guessing the fuel tank error says its having a problem with reading the fuel level which is why my wife ran out of fuel one day.

Is there a common problem with the door locks deciding that they don't want to randomly work with the key fob or the lock/unlock button?

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    How healthy is battery? I see two lines calling out low voltage.
    Last edited by Sleepyhead97; 07-05-2017 at 11:14 PM.

My Cars
    2003 328i
    I wouldn't pay any mind to what the previous owner said he did. You know how that goes. If you want to check the operation of the crank vent valve you can remove the oil filler cap with the engine running at idle. A failed valve will apply substantial vacuum to the crankcase and suck oil. You should have only slight vacuum present at the oil filler cap. If the valve is good I would recommend an oil change with Rotella T6 5w40. It is a very good oil and it will help clean up sticky or clogged oil control rings from low quality oil.

Low voltage can cause a wide spectrum of faults. I suspect most are due to that. Check the charging system, battery, grounds and cables and go from there.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i
    Car codes we're pulled with car not running, not sure if that matters.

Pulled oil cap last night while running and engine was only pulling a slight vacuum, wasn't nothing insane like I seen in some videos.

Battery reading at post under the hood was reading 12.28 with engine off.

I need to replace the hose on the air pump as well, I seen it looks like the hose is deteriorating and got holes in it. I replaced coil 1 a couple of months ago as it started misfiring.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Google "BMW E46 hidden OBC functions." Test #9 will show you the voltage as seen by the engine computer (DME). Check and report back the voltages when the:
    - ignition is in the run position but with the engine off
    - engine idling
    - engine reviving at 2000rpm.

These cars are rolling computers and wacky voltages create wacky symptoms. That voltage is way too low. I'm betting the battery is bad.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Google "BMW E46 hidden OBC functions." Test #9 will show you the voltage as seen by the engine computer (DME). Check and report back the voltages when the:
    1- ignition is in the run position but with the engine off
    2- engine idling
    3- engine reviving at 2000rpm.

These cars are rolling computers and wacky voltages create wacky symptoms. That voltage is way too low. I'm betting the battery is bad.
    1. 12.1v
    2. 14v
    3. 14v

Started the engine up, checked codes then cleared them and got this:

DME -> F3/B3 - Misfire, cylinder 6, misfiring with cylinder cutout (Misfire CARB_A), misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
    7B/72 - Signal, characteristic map cooling, short circuit to negative or open circuit
    F2/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 5, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)
    Shadow-memory:
    F2/B2 - Misfire, cylinder 5, misfiring during warm up, worsening emissions (Misfire CARB_B1)

Errors after clear:

no errorsShadow-memory:

Errors after clear:

5E16/20 - CAN Timeout instrument cluster

SRS -> Shadow-memory:

Errors after clear:

Shadow-memory:

# CLEAR DTCS END

How is the ABS seeing less than 9v when the DME is seeing 14 while idling? The SRS shows I'm guessing why the airbag light starts blinking when you start the car up and it eventually goes off but that concerns me.

EDIT: Strange thing just happened, got out of the car and noticed the headlights were on. This was with the key out of the ignition and the head light switch on off, turned the switch to on and back to off and they went off. Normally the computer won't even power the head lights without the key to the on position so how in the world did the car have its lights on with nothing calling for them to be on?
    Last edited by ctroxtell; 07-06-2017 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    1989 bmw 325I
    re: fuel tank error. I pulled my sender unit found that the unit actually wasn't bad I opened the bottom carefully and used electrical cleaner inside it to clean it. Been working good for three months now. It's something I would check.

My Cars
    1989 bmw 325I
    re: eating oil. 1st clean the engine compartment of old oil leaks, Check for leaks under the car or in the engine compartment. If you don't see any could be in the motor. I run lucas oil stabilizer in mine never had a problem.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Your battery is toast. It should read at least 12.6VDC with the ignition in the run position with the engine off. These cars are rolling computers and whacky voltages create whacky issues. The other readings are fine so the alternator is doing its job. Replace the battery, clear the codes and rescan.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 525i
    Well my battery was dead so I replaced it. The AC compressor died before this with 189k miles on it, the blower was vibrating the dash (upon inspection of the blower assembly the passenger side of the wheel was busted off, there were screws missing from the cover and mounting bracket which allowed it to wobble). Just replaced the ac compressor and the blower, also had to replace the vacuum line and hose running to the secondary air pump check valve but now I don't have the check engine light.

Now I think I have to get around and replace the oil sensor, the 2nd fuel level sensor randomly comes up bad (which would be why at about half a tank my fuel gauge starts going back up), the GM5 module is going to need repairing as well (sometimes only the drivers door will unlock, but all of them will lock). I keep telling myself one day things will stop breaking.