Thread: Recommended OBD2 scanner for BMW?

My Cars
    2002 530I

Recommended OBD2 scanner for BMW?

What do you guys recommended?

Is there a good OBD2 scanner out there that can read BMW specific fault codes yet costs around $100-$150?

Your feedback is greatly apprecited.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello - take a look at the links below. There are several options for a scanner/code reader.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...TEC-detail.htm

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata...052-detail.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    I have a Foxwell NT510 that I got for around $150. It's a handheld unit. You could also go the route of getting a K + DCAN cable and software to run from a laptop. That's the cheapest route and probably the most comprehensive, assuming that you have a laptop and can get the software running.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I use the OBDFusion app on my iPhone. It's available for android also. iOS uses a wifi interface, while android uses Bluetooth. The app costs $10 ($4 for android) and the interface is about $15 on amazon. Go to E46Fanatics to search for OBDFusion threads in which jfoj has commented. He's the guru.
    The nice thing about OBDFusion is that it can log a plethora of data which can be exported for analysis in an excel spreadsheet.

My Cars
    2002 530I
    Thank you all for the replies. TonyAngel that's a great advice.

I have spent several hours researching for a BMW specific OBD2 scanner. I wanted a OBD2 scanner that it can read multiple BMW systems. I am glad to have found a few in the 100-200 range. I wanted a scanner that could perform new battery registration as well. Foxwell and Carly are a couple of options worth considering.

There is a great article on youcanic that talks about different BMW scanners and what they do. Pros cons etc. Hands of videos on several scanners show you what they can do on BMWs.

Must read article if you are looking for the best scanner for BMW:

https://www.youcanic.com/bmw/obd2-scan-tool

Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as Best BMW scanner. It all depends on budget and what you are tyring to accoplish / scan/ program / code etc.
    Last edited by tepelan; 07-10-2017 at 10:48 AM.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Although I do not own a laptop/cable setup, I have used them and make no mistake, a laptop, cable and suite of software is probably the most powerful diagnostic setup that you can get and is likely the least expensive to get into, if you have a compatible laptop to install it on.

The reasons why I continue to use a handheld are these:

1. From what I understand, it is best to have a laptop dedicated to the duty and the software installs itself with the presumption that it is the most important thing on the laptop. From what I understand, installing the software on a laptop that you intend to use for other duties could lead to problems.

2. I really do not think that I am knowledgeable enough to install AND configure the software. I do no have the familiarity with either the software of the systems on the cars to be able to trouble shoot.

3. If you don't know what you are doing, you can screw things up because the software is intended to be used by someone that really knows what they are doing and it gives you access to everything.

My Cars
    BMW E3
    I've been meaning to get a cheap OBD2 wifi https://10carbest.com/best-obd2-scanner dongle to show readouts on my iPhone 5c while I drive plus look at various bits of data or codes. Can anyone recommend anything? I heard that for iPhone apps it is better to use a Wifi-enabled dongle. Searching eBay for "obd2 wifi" I found a bunch of cheap Chinese ones on eBay for under $10

There is also a smaller transparent-blue cased one, plus other variations all varying from $3-4 up to $8-10. Do these work with iPhone apps and are there any free OBD iPhone apps that will provide some usefulness to see some of the real-time engine data, or log, or look up diagnostic codes? Any recommendations for a free iPhone app that will work with one of these scanners?

I'm not a mechanic nor do I plan to do any of my own repairs. I just want some more feedback in the car when I drive and see how the car is performing, not spend a fortune and not screw up my car in any way or my phone either. Mostly just for some added fun while driving and something to display on my iPhone. Any suggestions would be helpful from you experience.
    Last edited by Claric; 10-30-2018 at 03:54 AM.

My Cars
    1999 mustang gt
    $100-150? Not really. $300-500 used scanner? Yeah.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Definitely check out OBDFusion. Go to E46Fanatics and search for threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has commented. He’s the guru. His post will tell you which WiFi adapter to get, how to set up OBDFusion and how to use it. It’s a great app as it has customizable dashboards, collects avd exports data for analysis in Excel.

My Cars
    2007 BMX X3 3.0i Manual
    What transfer cable are you using with OBDFusion?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    There’s no cable. There’s the Bluetooth or WiFi adapter that provides communications with the car. Check E46Fanatics and threads on OBDFusion in which jfoj has posted.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745li

Bavarian Technic doesnt give you Diagnostics or Repairs or INPA registers batteries

Gentlemen:

Big disappointment for me.
    I stepped up and bought the $300 Bavarian Technic OBDII scanner.
    It generates error codes by number and a single line description.
    But there is no way to diagnose what the actual error is.
    And there is no way to get instructions on how to perform a repair.
    Bavarian technic does not provide any translation and/or repair instructions on their codes.
    If you call them they say there are BMW repair manuals are on the web - but i cannot find them and they did not direct me to any.

Another thing you should look for is for a scanner with the ability to "INPA" register new batteries.
    the Bavarian technic OBDII scanner does not INPA register new batteries.
    For my E65 i have since gotten a parasitic leak after an independent mechanic installed a battery but couldn't INPA register it.
    The local BMW stealership refused to just INPA register the battery as i didnt buy it or have it installed by them. instead they want to charge me an hour of diagnostics and then require me to buy a new battery and pay to have them install it.

Does anyone have a BMW manual with error code translations and/or a repair procedures manual?

My Cars
    2007 335i; 2005 ZHP vert
    Does bimmergeeks work with an e46? I really don't want to do the subscription model with Carly. Any other suggestions?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I like the Foxwell NT510 or 520 or whatever the current version is. Comes with free bmw module when you register it.

My Cars
    EXOTICS

My Cars
    2016 BMW 328i
    Besides E46, do OBDFusion work with F30 models?

My Cars
    f10
    Running a diagnostic is cheaper. Why would you go through the trouble and expense of buying the scanner, which is not cheap, by the way? Plus, I doubt you have the capabilities to run a professional test and then fix the problem. Even though you find the issue and fix it, buying the scanner just for that would be unwise. You'll still end up overpaying as I doubt you'll ever use that scanner again, dead capital. Better take your car to a service and enjoy some bedwars servers Minecraft while waiting.
    Last edited by suicidetram; 04-14-2022 at 12:32 AM.