Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building fully spec'ed E39

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

Building fully spec'ed E39

Hello, bimmerheads

I want to share with you about my e39. It is 2001 530iA SE model. So there is nothing very special about it, but my goal is to make fully spec'ed e39 as possible. Maybe you will give me some ides about possible options, maybe i will source something with this forum help, because further I go, the harder is to find something. Second goal is to make identical replica to Alpina B10. Process is really slow, because parts are very rare.

So, when i bought it, it had these options:

- 16:9 SAT/NAV;
    - black leather standart mechanical seats;
    - PDC;
    - DSC;
    - Rain sensor;

And I think thats all. During ownership, i retroffited these options:
    - Double glazzing;
    - Rear electrical sunblind;
    - Rear doors sun blinds;
    - Rear console fridge;
    - Black leather electrical recaro heated seats with memory;
    - Black headliner;
    - Individual anthracite birch interrior wood trim;
    - M steering wheel;
    - Alpina front lip;
    - Exterior gloss shadowline trim
    - Xenon headlights.

My future goal options is:
    - DSP2 (M audio if i'll be lucky);
    - Extended leather;
    - Memory side mirrors;
    - Memory and eletrically adjusting steering wheel;
    - Thinking to swap natur poplar wood instead of birch;
    - Countur seats;
    - Picnic tables with vanitty mirros;
    - Multifunction rear armrest;
    - Comfort front windshield;
    - Servotronic.

Dont know whats is more possible.

What about building Alpina replica, I need:
    - Instrument cluster;
    - Door sills;
    - Floor mats;
    - Boot mat;
    - Rear spoiler;
    - Exhaust trim on rear muffler;
    - Steering wheel Alpina trim instead of ///M.

Wheel rims and front lip Already is.

Few photos:

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-05-2017 at 06:45 AM.

My Cars
    2000 540i
    Beautiful looking car.
    I really like the mods you have done so far. Keep it going.
    The wood trim pieces are classy.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The birch anthracite trim is beautiful, leave it alone. Polish it, but leave it in the car. Didn't know you could get the double pane glass for these things. The fridge, what can you fit in there? A diet beer???
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Ha, yes this fridge actually is pointless, specially if when know that this option was really expensive. You can put in it 2 cans. But for me it is valuable because of its rarines and it is fullfiling ny option list.

Why im thinking to change birche to poplar. Because in black interior when day is cloudy, trim looks like simple black piano. No wood texture at all. When sun is shining then yes, its great. And i think poplar would ad some contrast between colors in interior. Im only thinking at this moment.

My Cars
    '13 E70 35D
    Love the double pane glass. I Hope to do the conversion next year =)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    One of my favorite mods : )

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Stupid question: Double pane glass weighs twice the regular glass.... was there a beefed up regulator to deal with all that fat?

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Stupid question: Double pane glass weighs twice the regular glass.... was there a beefed up regulator to deal with all that fat?
    I would assume so... my 1995 750il had the double pane glass and all of its window regulators still worked after 21 years and 188k miles. Maybe they had been replaced but they all worked very well.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I wonder if that would solve the regular regulator issues, Lol, all the regs but the drivers door on my wagon are all busted right now.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

Likeaboss - (only 2 pictures show up for me) Excellent progress so far for going the OEM++ route and trying to fit as many OEM options as possible from the official E39 designated ones as well as from other BMW's from the same era! If you look around on the various BMW forums around the world, you'll see (if you haven't already) quite a few examples of E39's with similar levels of retrofits and OEM modifications. In short, there's absolutely lots more things you can do! I'll list some here

1. Powered tailgate release which uses parts from an E38 if I remember correctly. It won't 'close' the bootlid either from vague memory.
    2. Modify the rear seat bench for electrically operated up/down headrests, and the modified E39 powered lower seat bench. You could perhaps see if you can do this with the E39 child booster seat option
    3. OEM flip down DVD player and screen
    4. E46 SMG steering wheel - you can then change gears with the paddles. I loved when I did mine about 7 years ago! I've now converted to a manual gearbox, so will soon move on the kit I have !
    5. There's an OEM suspension kit for the saloon/sedans which either is switchable electronic dampers or air ride I can't remember which but I think it's the former, and it's called SDC I think! vague as I've only seen it mentioned a few times
    6. Fit the active seats from the E38, which give the massaging function.

The Alpina parts that are genuine are indeed rare to find, so you'll need to scour the classifieds a lot to find items. The Birch Anthracite will sell very fast and for substantial amounts given the rarity of the design/colour and that you have a Left Hand Drive car. A right hand drive set is very very hard to find as I want a set !

The BMW official line is 'Drinks Cooler' I believe, it's not actually a 'fridge'. To retrofit it properly is a big job as there's a special loom needed so that the temperature is separately controlled. The air flow is taken from the existing A/C system. There's only space for 2 normal cans of drink as well. It's rare as an option as it impedes access to the rear seat and effectively turns the car into a 4 seater.

Bimmerupsnotty - The window motors are more substantial for the double glazing option when fitted, there's no need for an uprated alternator when retrofitting them as they don't pull masses of more current - the weight of the double glazing panels isn't as heavy as you are perhaps thinking or suggesting.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Actually they dont weights twice. And regulators in my car are regular, they work perfect 4 years after retrofit, and it doesnt feel that it would be hard for them to lift double pan windows.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    I would assume so... my 1995 750il had the double pane glass and all of its window regulators still worked after 21 years and 188k miles. Maybe they had been replaced but they all worked very well.
    I believe in the e38s, regulators are same between double pane and single, I was curious about this as well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Thanks Dennis, just wishful thinking that there might be a heavier duty window regulator for the E39. I am sick of replacing regulators. 3 E39's= more regulator replacement. Sick of it.
    I'm betting the cupholders and regulators were designed by the same idiot engineer lackey at BMW during Octoberfest... BMW needs to fess up on the engineers name and address so that we can get our hands on him and give him a proper tar and feathering, after I beat his stupid a$$ to a bloody pulp.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Thanks Dennis, just wishful thinking that there might be a heavier duty window regulator for the E39. I am sick of replacing regulators. 3 E39's= more regulator replacement. Sick of it.
    I'm betting the cupholders and regulators were designed by the same idiot engineer lackey at BMW during Octoberfest... BMW needs to fess up on the engineers name and address so that we can get our hands on him and give him a proper tar and feathering, after I beat his stupid a$$ to a bloody pulp.
    Someone was making aluminum pulleys for good working regulators that wouldn't fail again. I think it was dville, but I could be wrong. If your regulator was already chewed up, it wouldn't be able to be upgraded, but if it's still good and you just want to make sure it doesn't fail, then a small price to pay for good pulleys would be totally worth it.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yeah, I forgot about that thread! Now you've got me looking at a brand new rear regulator I've had laying around.... It's the rear regs I despise the most, everyone with an E39 already knows why, so, is it the one simple single layer pulley that takes a crap? I can't remember, but that one wouldn't be too hard to replicate. The other one, down at the bottom, it's got multiple channels. But that's the one that the cables just get all discumboobulated when the top pulley goes bad. I think it's just the top pulley that you have to worry about. I'm thinking a pulley wheel with a bearing from a compound bow or something like that.

My Cars
    BMW
    Yeah, I forgot about that thread! Now you've got me looking at a brand new rear regulator I've had laying around.... It's the rear regs I despise the most, everyone with an E39 already knows why, so, is it the one simple single layer pulley that takes a crap? I can't remember, but that one wouldn't be too hard to replicate. The other one, down at the bottom, it's got multiple channels. But that's the one that the cables just get all discumboobulated when the top pulley goes bad. I think it's just the top pulley that you have to worry about. I'm thinking a pulley wheel with a bearing from a compound bow or something like that.
    Add that to your list of mods to your touring after you retrofit the x5 panoramic roof. Then start your own company for the compound bow infused regulators.

"Robin hood regulators, LLC"

You're welcome.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Shet, the friggin' list just keeps on growing...

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    That sounds familiar like somebody was working on a regulator-hack like that a long time ago... I remember some thread where various pulley/bearing ideas were being thrown out and I think the bow idea came up...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Yeah, the compound bow pulley idea was mine, I sorta remember, I think. I'm gonna get some measurements tonight.
    The X factor is the bearings inner diameter measurement, it has to slip over the hub that is currently riveted to the bracket.
    I believe a bolt goes through and fastens on to the door. You'd think I'd remember all this crap after having had to do it so many times!!! Lol... .. . Drugs

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi

Likeaboss - (only 2 pictures show up for me) Excellent progress so far for going the OEM++ route and trying to fit as many OEM options as possible from the official E39 designated ones as well as from other BMW's from the same era! If you look around on the various BMW forums around the world, you'll see (if you haven't already) quite a few examples of E39's with similar levels of retrofits and OEM modifications. In short, there's absolutely lots more things you can do! I'll list some here

1. Powered tailgate release which uses parts from an E38 if I remember correctly. It won't 'close' the bootlid either from vague memory.
    2. Modify the rear seat bench for electrically operated up/down headrests, and the modified E39 powered lower seat bench. You could perhaps see if you can do this with the E39 child booster seat option
    3. OEM flip down DVD player and screen
    4. E46 SMG steering wheel - you can then change gears with the paddles. I loved when I did mine about 7 years ago! I've now converted to a manual gearbox, so will soon move on the kit I have !
    5. There's an OEM suspension kit for the saloon/sedans which either is switchable electronic dampers or air ride I can't remember which but I think it's the former, and it's called SDC I think! vague as I've only seen it mentioned a few times
    6. Fit the active seats from the E38, which give the massaging function.

The Alpina parts that are genuine are indeed rare to find, so you'll need to scour the classifieds a lot to find items. The Birch Anthracite will sell very fast and for substantial amounts given the rarity of the design/colour and that you have a Left Hand Drive car. A right hand drive set is very very hard to find as I want a set !

The BMW official line is 'Drinks Cooler' I believe, it's not actually a 'fridge'. To retrofit it properly is a big job as there's a special loom needed so that the temperature is separately controlled. The air flow is taken from the existing A/C system. There's only space for 2 normal cans of drink as well. It's rare as an option as it impedes access to the rear seat and effectively turns the car into a 4 seater.

Bimmerupsnotty - The window motors are more substantial for the double glazing option when fitted, there's no need for an uprated alternator when retrofitting them as they don't pull masses of more current - the weight of the double glazing panels isn't as heavy as you are perhaps thinking or suggesting.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Hi, Dennis,

thanks for your possible retrofit list.

1. Yes, powered boot lid is in my list also, just forgot to mention it.
    2. That i didnt understood, e39 didnt had powered lower seat bench as I know? e38 doesnt fits. Or is it?
    3. Can you show me this? Didnt heard of. Sound interesting.
    4. Aboud SMG im thinking also, but im not sure, because also im dreaming about conversing it to 6-spead mechanical gearbox. I do like automatic also, so im not sure about this at the moment .
    5. S-EDC i'm not sure im going to retrofit this option. Maybe only then when i will complete everything else..
    6. I want sport-comfort seats aka countur. But they didnt had massage option. BUT, i will converte them to have it ))

By the way, are you the only one who see only 2 pics, or everybody else doesnt see all my uploaded pics?

And yesterdays purchase - full set of DSP2 for a sedan. Waiting for a retrofit.

Last edited by likeaboss; 07-07-2017 at 02:20 AM.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    I like this thread, I'm planning on long term doing things similar to this in my e38

--- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    I like this thread, I'm planning on long term doing things similar to this in my e38

Actually if you're not in to it yet, think again very careffully . This is obsession. Ilness. Like drugs. Sometimes i would like to not have it. But once you start it you cant stop. Sometimes i think to myselft this is enough, i should stop, because it cost pretty much, time consumes, wife gets angry . But then you found sometging for sale and buying it. Lying to wife that you need to repair something but buying DSP set instead . Retrofitters life is hard and under rated
    Last edited by likeaboss; 07-07-2017 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Actually if you're not in to it yet, think again very careffully . This is obsession. Ilness. Like drugs. Sometimes i would like to not have it. But once you start it you cant stop. Sometimes i think to myselft this is enough, i should stop, because it cost pretty much, time consumes, wife gets angry . But then you found sometging for sale and buying it. Lying to wife that you need to repair something but buying DSP set instead . Retrofitters life is hard and under rated
    I know what I'm in for XD. In my 740il,I spent many hours researching period correct aftermarket audio parts that would fit in nicely with the interior, something I might pursue in the 750 as well. Already planning on dying all the leather bits, refinishing wood interior, and keeping a lookout for individual parts that may pop up

My Cars
    Bmw 530d e39
    2. E39 don't have rear electric seat . You can move all from e38 to your e39 . The e38 rear seat is too long for e39.

I have picnic tables+ vanity mirrors for sale if you are interested ! Beige color , not black !

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

Likeaboss - You'll need to look through similar project threads as I mentioned, there's some owners who've done all sorts of intermix E38 to E39 modifications and I vaguely remember someone modifying the electric adjustable E38 lower rear bench to fit the E39 and similarly, add the powered rear headrests as well. The massaging system's from the E38 seats can also be done to the E39. The easiest way is to indeed find E38 Sport contours with active seats! but that could take some time.

For the OEM flip down screen and DVD player, look in realoem.com and you'll see it shown in diagram form, again, finding one in real life might take some time!

I can understand about changing to manual gearbox and not needing the SMG! that's the position I'm in after converting to 5 spd manual!

I can now see the rest of the pictures

The DSP retrofit I personally wouldn't do as it's so old and mediocre, even when brand new, it sounded 'mediocre' ! however, if you wish to keep as totally 'OEM' as possible, then I can understand why you want to install it.

Cheers, Dennis!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast