Thread: Z caught in the rain, Beeping insues

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Z caught in the rain, Beeping insues

Feel dumb, I left my Z open in front of my house on what was a glorious and sunny 4th of July. Come inside to do some chores, get some things done and a small flash storm comes through. Took me about 10 minutes to realize I left the top down. I rush outside, hop in, start the car, raise the top. Once the top is up I shut the car off, go back inside grab some towels. I get back in the Z and I start wiping down the leather seats and all the other surfaces. The car is beeping, like the door chime or seat belt chime. Car is in park, Top is fully shut, Car is off, the key is not in the ignition, I click the seat belts. Finally I start the car and turn it back off, the chime is still going off. I say screw it and keep drying the car. A good 10 minutes I'm out there trying to dry all the wet spots. I run back inside, grab my toolset, thining I will disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to see if a hard reset helps. When I get out with the tools the chime has stopped.

Anyone have any idea what that was about? Just want to check in with the experts.

I really need to spend some time with the Z, I'm feeling like I've been neglecting it. Needs a polish, deep clean of the interior, protectant on the interior, etc etc. But I'm in the middle of a job change and moving so it's just been hectic. Thanks and happy fourth

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Any idea where the beeping was coming from inside the car or around the engine bay? I would be guessing but perhaps some sensors got wet and needed to dry off..?
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Parts View Post
    Any idea where the beeping was coming from inside the car or around the engine bay? I would be guessing but perhaps some sensors got wet and needed to dry off..?
    When sitting in the drivers side it sounded exactly like the chime for the door being ajar with the key in the ignition. I never really thought about where those come from, do they come from the speakers or the dash? It wasn't coming from the engine bay or the trunk. Hopefully you are right, all seems to be back to normal.

My Cars
    Z4 M, X3 35i, 550i
    Do you have BMW assist button? The module may have gotten wet.