Thread: Fault, Engine Starting, During starter operation: no speed on activation.

My Cars
    11 535i

Fault, Engine Starting, During starter operation: no speed on activation.

Has anyone experienced this trouble code?

2011 535i, 130k miles. Good battery (tested and charged)
    Ignition Malfunction warning present when i attempt to start the car. Does not crank or turn over. I only hear a click and thats it (seems like the starter solenoid is receiving a signal at least) . All lights on dash and everything else works. All my research points in the direction of an EWS malfunction or issue. Dealership can't see me until the 10th so I'm trying to troubleshoot myself for the time being. I have taken it to two indy shops and both shops have no idea what the problem is. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

I also tried both key fobs separately with no luck.

Under: electronic immobilizer (EWS/CAS)
    930733: Fault, Engine Starting, During starter operation: no speed on activation

Under: Airbag (MRS/ASCM)
    930993: Safety battery terminal resistance too low
    Last edited by chivebfm; 07-03-2017 at 12:53 AM. Reason: update

My Cars
    Sounds like it needs a starter to me. The fault code tells you exactly that: no speed on activation. Think about it. It sends the signal to the starter, yet it knows the starter isn't running because there's no RPM from the crank sensor.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I'd tend to agree, I'm seeing more and more early N55 starters punch out. That fault code is often present on cars diagnosed as such, typically when the owner has tried the start button dozens of times hoping for a different result.

Have the 2 independents that have looked at the car bothered to probe the starter and verify operational status?

12v+ should be present at Terminal 30 on the starter (the smaller of the 3 connections on the solenoid) during engine start request. Probe terminal 30 with a test lamp and have someone hit the start button. If the test lamp lights but the starter does not engage replace the starter (and the independent repairs shops you've taken it to)
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    11 535i
    Thanks for the replies! Yes both indy shops were a total waste of time and wouldn't test the starter itself. I towed my car back home and am going to test it myself. Next available appointment at my local BMW isn't until the 10th! The only thing the indy shop was able to tell me was that they saw the fault: Deactivation at terminal 15 and deactivation at terminal 30b. I will post back here after i test the starter this evening.

My Cars
    E90, E46
    Why are you testing the starter? With 130k miles AND your already removing it just replace it

as stuck said, you got 12V on the positive cable? You got 12V on the signal wire?
    If you answered yes to both of these questions, replace your starter
    Last edited by SlackTube; 07-04-2017 at 10:21 AM.

My Cars
    535i
    best way before removing the started is to have someone in the car...while they try to start the car you tap on the starter....if the starter is bad the car will eventually start as by tapping it, it helps to get the inside loose enough to get a crank..
    this will give you assurity and you can replace it.

also it would be nice if you can make a video while you are replacing the strater so others can learn from your experience...or post pictures.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    When you manage to reach to tap a N55 starter with the engine is a startable condition let me know. The air cleaner, intake plenum, DME, and various other stuff completely shrouds it.

My Cars
    11 535i
    Thanks for the replies and the help! I definitely wasn't able to tap the starter with the engine in a startable condition. Just like you said, getting to the starter requires removal of the air intake box, intake manifold, countless sensors and cables and of course a bunch of vacuum tubes. Once everything was out i just removed the starter and took it to the auto parts store to get it tested. The starter failed so I threw in a new one put everything back in and it started right up on the first try. It took me about 5 hours to complete. Thanks again!

My Cars
    535i
    Glad to know it worked. Did u take any picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    When you manage to reach to tap a N55 starter with the engine is a startable condition let me know. The air cleaner, intake plenum, DME, and various other stuff completely shrouds it.
    Ah man didn't realize that. I had a Z4 prior to this car and i was able to do this trick when my starter failed. I guess N55 is too complicated and congested. I'm new to this so still learning.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    No problem, Z4's with a M54 or N52 have plenty of room between the intake runners you can give the solenoid a little tappity tap and hope she chooches one more time, N55 is like a fortress with many layers of stuff in the way.

My Cars
    I've used that trick a million times on older car starters. I don't think I ever got it to work on an N52 starter. Maybe they fail in a different spot

ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    F10
    Is there a DIY to follow for replacing the starter on a 2011 F10 535i ? Seems like a lot of work, is this something best left to a indy shop to tackle? I'm out of warranty

My Cars
    Bmw e87
    Hi did you found out what the problem was?? I have the same problem with my customers car, a GT 306hp from 2013 F07??

My Cars
    07 Tundra, 02 530 14 x5
    my starter went with the same error messages. good thing it happened right in my driveway. ordered one from fcp got it in 2 days. took my just under 3 hours to complete the job myself and was back up and running. these starters are known to go. they're the same ones used in the e90 n54 engine. pretty much same procedure. on my f10 it was a total of about 10 bolts including the 2 for the starter. 8 for the manifold. it's just a process removing all the air lines air box and whatever else is in the way. make sure you buy new starter bolts as you cannot/should not re-use the old ones.
    2002 525i