Thread: Yet another new Bimmer owner

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i

Yet another new Bimmer owner

Good afternoon y'all!

New owner and new member. Certain I'll have a boatload of questions.

FWIW, I've purchased an '06 750i that's not running. I got it cheap.... The previous owner mentioned low oil pressure and that he'd had a couple of mechanics look at it but they couldn't do anything for it. No, it's not been to a BMW shop and I'm going to do my best to not go that route. It's not in the driveway yet but I've pulled the battery and have it on a charger so I can power up the electronics tomorrow. I do have tools and am pretty smart around a shop so, that's a plus, IMO.

Anyway, any info/ideas on the low oil pressure situation would be most welcome. I'll get an OBDII reader on it in a few days and see what, if any, clues I might get from it.

BTW - does anyone know if the fob battery is dead, is there a way to recharge away from the car? It's not a "comfort access" fob.

Thanks in advance everyone! I'm looking forward to learning new stuff!

Kerry Moffit

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hi Kerry and welcome to the forum! There should be a battery inside the key fob, similar to a watch battery.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    Thanks Pelican Parts! After a bit of research, I did find that info. Fortunately for me, the fob still had a charge. How long that'll last, I've no idea.

I did charge the battery and got the electronics up and running. Oil level is fine but I saw a message once that indicated low or no coolant. :-( And, the engine won't turn over so I'm pretty sure it's blown/seized. Following a replacement on eBay and will just have to decide to "pull the trigger" on it.

BTW -- I did take a look at your site and have a feeling you'll see some $ from me.....

Will post more as I find out more things good and bad about the car. I've already discovered some things that aren't working properly but they're luxuries; not necessities so, they'll get repaired as I get to them. I'll have to prioritize as I discover......

KM

My Cars
    2006 BMW 750i
    Ok all,

I purchased the engine on eBay and it should arrive Tuesday. Dumb as it may sound, I'm going to tear the new one down and have the heads gone over by a very well respected machine shop here in town and the block, crankshaft, pistons, etc gone over by a highly respected engine builder. Both will check specs and refurb/refit as needed then I'll put it all back together again and install in the car. I'm also going to pull the transmission to drain, clean, and inspect, and replace parts as needed.

Timeline for all of this? When I can get to things..... have a lot on my plate at the moment but hope to get the car on the road in <12 months. Like I mentioned at the start, it's a project....

KM