Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My M3 Build Thread

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

Arrow My M3 Build Thread

Hey guys, my name's Chris and I have a 1995 E36 M3. Decided to make this thread just for my own enjoyment to come update my progress on my car, it's a slow build but I'll be picking up the speed very soon.

Before Bought (1).pngBefore Bought (2).pngBefore Bought (6).jpgBefore Bought (4).jpgBefore Bought (6).png

I bought the car in December 8th of 2015 from Eurocarscertified.com. It is my first car and was the car I spent since 10 years old saving for and dreaming of. I saved every dollar I could to get this car without my parents help and I achieved it. The car had just over 96k when I bought it, I really wanted to buy one that was around 75k but this was an absolute steal. They wanted $14500 for it, I ended up paying $7750. The paint was shot, the tires were bad, and the thermostat was literally snapped in half. But the clutch was brand new, the headliner was just replaced and it was 99% stock aside from the UUC Evo 3 Short shifter that was installed a few months before purchase and the Turner Motorsports sway bar kit. From it's history the car definitely wasn't driven the years prior to me buying it, the oil changes were so far apart, the mileage marks had little to no change to them.

The first three days I owned the car I had the whole front end out (the first time I've ever worked on my car) I bled the coolant, put in a new thermostat, put in a new fan clutch and blades, fresh coolant in. My mechanic who's been a family friend since high school to my parents, is the local university automotive professor, he knows everything and anything. He took the car, put fresh filters and fluids in every inch of the car as an early christmas gift to me.

Being a 16 year old at the time with your dream car, learning to drive stick in the start of winter, doesn't turn out very well. No traction control and bald tires really played its part and my very little knowledge at the time. I was pulling onto a main road where trees cover your view so you kind of just shoot for it and go. So that's what I did, almost stalling and I see headlights flying up in my rear view, it just started raining and my first instinct was to floor it and get up to speed, but inexperienced driver and never having floored the car let alone drive it on a wet surface with bald tires and no traction control, I ended up fish tailing all over the road eventually going right between 2 poles and into a ditch, luckily I dodged the car coming head on to me, and the car behind me that slid from hitting its brakes almost hit me as I spun 180 into that lane facing the wrong way.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

My M3 Build PT2

The car was then "repaired" by a local body shop my mechanic did NOT recommend, my parents just wanted it fixed and have little experience with anything cars and car related. The car came back with a normal 3 series bumper, that was cracked and spray painted, the frame was STILL bent, everything was just a shit show. I paid over $6000 for the repair, just handing my mom the money and her not knowing any better she paid him, there was no paper work or anything. They just took the cash and gave us the car back and wouldn't unless we handed them money. Not to mention this took from December 23rd to February 22nd to fix (the day before I got my license) long story with trying to get our money back and a lot of lawyer work and stuff that never worked out in our way.

WP_20151224_17_01_35_Pro.jpg2.27 (10).jpg

(Sorry for the bad photos they get better as time goes on)

I got better at driving the car and got my license, Being the dumb kid I was, the first week of March I did a pull on the highway with a G35, after we slowed back down I looked and saw my temp hit the red... Pulled off the road and had it towed back to my mechanics, where he let me try to figure out my first repair and fix it. I saw plastic pieces every where so I was scared shitless on what was wrong. But it was just the junk BMW water pump. Just because it was around the mileage the cooling systems shut down, I got the EMP stewart waterpump, another new thermostat, new radiator, all new hoses, him and I did it all the weekend after that happened. Car ran better than ever.

April 6th of 2016 I decided to send it back to a body shop. I sent it to MAACO. Now before everyone trashes it. My friends dad owns 3 shops, it just uses the name... The car was gone until June 7th of 2016. Every bolt and clip you can think of from the mirrors up him and BMW both worked together on the car, the bumper was back to the M3 one (Thank god) I had my AC system replaced (never knew it didn't work because I only drove during cold months) I had so much little things touched up, the frame was cut and replaced because it was so bad, the rad support was repaired, along with a fresh paint job and many other things. The bill turned out to be over $10000 of repairs. But being it's my best friends dad and our families have gotten very close of time, I got a discount to where they made no profit it all, it turned out being just over $4800.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

My M3 Build PT3

Here's images of the car at the shop and when finished
    V__05FA.jpgV__09C3.jpg6 17 2016 (32).jpg6 17 2016 (40).jpg

After driving the car for about a month the suspension and brakes started to go. I than did my first brake job replacing the brakes with OEM Brembos, StopTech Street Performance Pads and fresh brake lines. (I don't have pictures of them new)

I got the ST Suspension coilover kit along with all new OEM mounts. And again sorry for the bad photos, they will get better I promise you lol
    WP_20160614_17_13_21_Pro.jpg
    Last edited by Gymum1; 07-01-2017 at 10:09 AM.

My Cars
    96 328i, 92 318i
    I remember you posting when you got ripped off by that other body shop, sorry to hear you didn't get the money back.

It looks fantastic now though, thanks your dad every day for the hook up lol, looking forward to more pics.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

My M3 Build PT4

At the same time as those installs I got new tires on the car finally. That was all in June and other than oil changes, I left the car alone for a while. Just daily driving it. When school started up (my senior year) I don't have a direct picture but it some photos I'll post later on you may see it but in the parking lot I've been bumper tapped not once, not twice, THREE TIMES in the first 4 months of the school year. I haven't been able to get it touched up, I can whenever I want I just had no other way to school or work, it also would go in the shop to be detailed, any scratches buffed out, my door handles need to be replaced and they're a very busy shop I don't want to put the car in when they're busy and have a few day job takes 2 weeks. I can't go that long without the car.

Up until Christmas nothing on the car was touched, I got clear corner lights, side markers, crystal clear fog lights, LED tail lights, the fake carbon fiber kidney grills from ECS and some tiny things as well. Honestly all of that really changed the look of the car, I'm constantly on and off with the LED lights, some days I like them some days I think they're ricey looking, but as of today I think they look good with the Alpine White.

My stock exhaust had fallen off earlier in the year and I was just running around with a muffler delete, it sounded so good but was just too much, I want the car to be clean and well done not a joke. So with my Christmas money I ordered a UUC System U exhasut, the DTM tips. It was definitely disappointing with how quiet it was, the gurgles and pops and crackles were so weak and you can barely hear them with the exhaust, but it does sound amazing and it isn't obnoxious like a straight pipe.

2.jpg3.jpg

April of 2017, I noticed thumping in my brakes on my way to school. Started to worry it was a caliper... On my way home I ended up making it half way before all I smelt was something burning and steam from the wet roads just flowing out of my front left wheel. Giving the car being 20+ years old and that it just went a year of daily driving and beating on it without giving me a problem, I couldn't be upset. I got new OEM front calipers, I plan to do the rear some time this year just in case. I also got new lines and my rotors are warped from the calipers so I plan to get UUC Cross Drilled and Slotted Front Rotors along with some new pads.

I then bought UUC camber plates/strut mounts/alignment kit and installed them.

I just kept driving the car how it was for the rest of the school year ( it is now July 2017 ) I didn't do much to it and not much happened. I got the ZHP Shift Knob and it changed the comfort of the car completely and the driving experience. In the process of ripping the old one off my friends elbow smashed my windshield and that needed to be replaced, but in the process of that being replaced the damn windshield guy set the old one down on the car and it left scratches all over the outside of the windshield and roof, those will be buffed out along with my rear bumper being repainted and all that jazz.

My graduation present was Apex Arc8s ( 17x9 et35 ) my parents haven't ordered them yet but sometime this month I should be getting them. I also ordered DEPO Smooth Glass Euro Headlights, along with Umnitza Angel Eyes. This project will be done soon and I will post of them. I've been jobless recently and just got hired working with my moms company and should be making good money at least for an 18 year old kid that is. So when I start this month I have plans for my M3 and things will start getting done. I plan to work 50+ hours in the winter, as I'm taking a gap year off for school and I can work from home on my own schedule, I plan to save for a daily and keep my M3 in my garage for most of the week.

My plans of right now for the car... (For This Summer)
    -UUC cross drilled/slotted front rotors and pads, stainless steel brakelines
    -UUC polyurethane trans/motor mounts
    -Ignition Service
    -Trans Service
    -Diff Service
    -Get the Arc8s done, tires, everything fitment wise done (fender rolling, adjusting height and camber)
    -If I need to or really want to I'll get UUC Rear Adjustable Control Arms
    -Fancy Wide Rear Diffuser
    -GT style front lip
    -DTM Carbon Fiber side skirt extensions
    -get my windows tinted ( I have sensitive eyes and I'm also blind in one eye )

For now that's my goal, my over all goal for the car is to have it kind of like a nice show build for now but work everything up to be meant for the track in a couple years. I really want to get a daily this or next year. My dream is to supercharge the M3 and track it, not any time soon but by the time I'm finishing college or done, so about 5-6 years. I plan to keep the car very clean, I take so much good care of the car. I'm gonna try to keep the miles low, I'm currently at 115k. But this is my build thread I will be updating this whenever stuff comes in, stuff happens, and whatever. This is for my own purpose to see my progress and for anyone who is interested.

Thank you guys for reading!

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=DotBeta;29757660]I remember you posting when you got ripped off by that other body shop, sorry to hear you didn't get the money back.

It looks fantastic now though

Thank you! And yes it really does suck but it's all in the past, the shop is now out of business, I was sad I saw an e60 m5 parked out there the one time, I just wanted to go and raise hell in there... But I'm very happy with how the car is turning out!
    Last edited by Gymum1; 07-01-2017 at 10:53 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

My M3 Build PT5

My next install...
    DEPO European Smooth Glass Headlights, along with Orion Lite COB LED Angel Eyes.
    I will be installing these some point this or next week, I will take a few pictures and post them when they're installed!

4.jpg

My Cars
    '95 M3| '98 M3 | '03 M5
    Nice document of your ownership. Hope you can complete all of your goals.

Just my $0.02, Rogue Engineering trans mounts. You'll be fine with regular rotors (handful of useful threads on rotors), cheaper as well. For daily/track, frontrear strut tower reinforcement plates and reinforced RSMs. Bigger sway bars with subframe reinforcements. Check out AKG motorsports. Z3 shifter for shortness. Being an 95, you can get the Turner chip. A Stromung exhaust may satisfy the sound you're going after. You're on the right path, keep up the good work!
    1995 Cosmoschwartz M3/2/5- Daily Driver
    1996 Estorilblau M3/2/5- Beater
    1998 Cosmoschwartz M3/4/5- Garaged
    2003 Sterling Grey M5- "Weekend" Car

My Cars
    1999 M3/2/5 estorilblau

My M3 Build Thread

Man, between the body shop screwing you over and the windshield mishaps, you're making me 10x more paranoid than I already was about letting anybody else touch my car. I'm about to get new tires, and will probably end up breathing down the techs' necks the whole time to make sure they don't destroy my wheels and torque the lugs to 200 ft-lbs.

Really awesome thread, though. I admire your dedicating in saving up for this car and taking car of it. It's really awesome to see that in young people. A few years ago when I was your age I didn't even have a job, lol. Looking forward to see what else you do with the car!

I'll also back up what in4lee said: don't bother with the drilled/slotted rotors for now. They're just going to chew up your pads faster, and they're weaker than solid rotors. You shouldn't really need their extra cooling capability unless you're tracking the car very hard, with a lot of heavy braking without cooldown time. Maybe look into some brake cooling ducts instead, and think about rotors after that.

Also, before you go with poly motor and trans mounts, consider the amount of extra strain you'll be putting on the drivetrain with them. Those mounts are meant to absorb a certain amount of movement/force. If you're going for a tighter feel, start with just the transmission mounts, so at least the motor mounts will still be able to soak up some of the shock.
    Last edited by stairmast0r; 07-03-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by stairmast0r View Post
    Really awesome thread, though. I admire your dedicating in saving up for this car and taking car of it. It's really awesome to see that in young people. A few years ago when I was your age I didn't even have a job, lol. Looking forward to see what else you do with the car!

I'll also back up what in4lee said: don't bother with the drilled/slotted rotors for now. They're just going to chew up your pads faster...

Also, before you go with poly motor and trans mounts, consider the amount of extra strain you'll be putting on the drivetrain with them...
    - Thank you guys so much for the feedback!
    You are right about the brakes, I might just get the OEM brembos again but I just love the look of dirlled/slotted. Once the car is finally tracked I would love to do an E46 conversion on them to run bigger brakes so I should just wait for that day lol. & for the mounts I've heard a lot of mixed predictions and feelings on them, I'll have to continue my research on them, I just figured it would be good to do them now as they're starting to go also because this time next year or so there should be more goodies in there for the mounts to handle haha.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

My M3 Build PT5 (2)

5.jpg6.jpg8.jpg7.jpg

Here's my headlight install all done and complete! I'm very happy with how it came out
    - DEPO Euro Smooth Glass Projector Headlights
    - Orion COB LED Angel Eyes ( from umnitza )
    - HID Kit 6000k ( from DDMtuning )

I have to admit I was worried this wasn't going to come out good at all, judging from pictures online I was convinced the HIDs were a horrible decision, but they really made the project worth it! The lens of the light looks like a light blue color but when you're driving at night they shine on the road as a very pure white and it's perfect, especially for me and my horrible eyesight. This little upgrade honestly made the car so much better looking. A friend of mine who also owns an E36 helped me out, teaching my the wiring. This just took an afternoon and it was fairly simple and really fun and satisfying to complete. I think I may do the HID kit for the fog lights to match the lights or find a nice pair of bulbs to help whiten up the color.

Also for anyone interested I post a lot of photos of cars that I take here
    http://vsco.co/gymum/
    & also on my instagram which is @chrisconboy

I'm thinking diffuser next, not sure but something soon, I definitely want to get a cold air intake after seeing how much room these new headlights and that huge stock air box takes up.

My Cars
    2 e9's, 320is, 996 Turbo
    Hi Gymum,

I also would like to congratulate you on all that you have done to the M3 and the diligence to stick by it so I'm going to make a couple of comments that I hope you take constructively; perseverance is probably the single greatest attribute in relation to success, so no doubt you will be owning many BMW's! Please keep in mind that there is a difference between perseverance and wasting time, not that I think you have crossed that line yet but watch out because it can creep up on you quickly. In relation to the automobile itself, I believe there are very few of us out there who are capable of intelligently pushing one of these cars even close to their limit in stock configuration which is why I try to stay away from "performance" parts and use stock or OEM products from reputable suppliers whenever possible, and I think if you saved the extra money, a weekend at a racing school would pay much higher dividends.

That being said, better headlights, better tires, a new windscreen etc are all valuable enhancements (of course a kick-ass stereo is not to be frowned upon). The maintenance with proper bushings, shocks, ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc, and a faithful cleaning will carry you so much further down the road than fancy wheels, flares and the like that I would like to persuade you in that direction.

You have a beautiful car, I also have an e36 M3 which is an incredibly fun and comfortable car to drive- and I'm old! so more power to you, rock on, and drive well and safely- there are some great folks on this forum!

Peter

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coomarasw View Post
    Hi Gymum,

I also would like to congratulate you on all that you have done to the M3 and the diligence to stick by it so I'm going to make a couple of comments that I hope you take constructively; perseverance is probably the single greatest attribute in relation to success, so no doubt you will be owning many BMW's! Please keep in mind that there is a difference between perseverance and wasting time, not that I think you have crossed that line yet but watch out because it can creep up on you quickly. In relation to the automobile itself, I believe there are very few of us out there who are capable of intelligently pushing one of these cars even close to their limit in stock configuration which is why I try to stay away from "performance" parts and use stock or OEM products from reputable suppliers whenever possible, and I think if you saved the extra money, a weekend at a racing school would pay much higher dividends.

That being said, better headlights, better tires, a new windscreen etc are all valuable enhancements (of course a kick-ass stereo is not to be frowned upon). The maintenance with proper bushings, shocks, ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc, and a faithful cleaning will carry you so much further down the road than fancy wheels, flares and the like that I would like to persuade you in that direction.

You have a beautiful car, I also have an e36 M3 which is an incredibly fun and comfortable car to drive- and I'm old! so more power to you, rock on, and drive well and safely- there are some great folks on this forum!

Peter
    Thank you for the advice! There's a part of me that really wants to push the car to the limits with all the "performance" parts out there, but there's a part of me that wants to keep it OEM. I would really love to be able to mod it, but in the future be able to put it all back in its stock form, that's why I keep every part from the car lol. I'm sure my views on the car will change in the future but I'm going to keep it as clean and "beautiful" as I can and do what makes me happy and satisfied. I do plan on owning many more BMWs for sure! Growing up and being a younger kid and all my friends being a little older than me, they all got into BMWs and that's what pushed me into it and now I'm trapped, but in a good way! I'd love to get a daily this year. I would really like a nice SUV, something bigger and that can tow when needed, I'd prefer a land cruiser, but I would love to get a manual X5. & within the next few years I really want to find a nice ZHP to keep in my garage and/or possibly an E30 depending on available space. But we'll see when the future comes! Thank you for the feed back!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    UPDATE :
    I have new door handle assemblies and also new roof moulding trims to get rid of the brittle, rusted old ones on the car. I just ordered UUCs drilled rotors along with new front pads also ordered my Apex Arc8s 17x9 et30, they should be here by the end of the week and I'm hoping to get tires mounted asap, if anyone has tire size suggestions let me know! I'll keep this thread updated as time goes on and I'll post pictures before and after of whenever I get around to the trims, handles and brakes

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

My M3 Build PT6 (1)

Just a little update on my car! Front rotors came in, UUC Cross Drilled Rotors and new pads. I'm gonna be installing them on this boring and rainy night.
    I also picked up 245/40/17s today, and also my wheels came in today as well! Apex Arc8s 17x9 et30. Tomorrow I'm going to get tires mounted on them and my fenders rolled just enough to fit them. I'll post pictures tomorrow after the black stuff heats off of my rotors and when the wheels are on! Also anyone on the East Coast going to Bimmerfest on Sunday morning I'll be there! Can't wait for this busy weekend!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

My M3 Build PT6 (2)

Here's the photos. I put on the rotors last night. Got tires mounted today and my fenders rolled at powerhaus performance by a buddy of mine. The absolute best rolling there is if you're close to Philadelphia, please check them out and look for Ant! Anyways, the front needs a spacer it's rubbing on the coilovers, rear is damn near perfect. 245/40/17. 17x9 et30. I'll post more once my spacers and extended lugs come in from Apex!
    01.jpg02.jpg

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe

My M3 Build PT6 (3)

Spacers finally came in and I was able to put my arc8s on! 5mm from Apex along with extended lug bolts. Love the way the car looks and sits on these wheels!
    0-14.jpg0-8.jpg0-2.jpg0-3.jpg

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Looks good man, great wheels for the e36 chassis.
    CBlock

My Cars
    1999 M3 5spd
    I wonder if that is the same Ant that is active on m3forum. That is looking beautiful. I really like black kidneys and clear signals on most colors.
    95 cosmoschwartz M3/2/5 : 2012-1/1/2014 (worn rtab's and bald rear tires in the rain)

98 cosmoschwartz M3/4/5 : 2016-3/10/2017 (understeering SUV)

99 Estoril M3/2/5: 6/16/2017-current

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quick Update.
    Took a break from spending money on car parts to save for a daily and few little things for the car, I still need to get around to doing the handles and roof trims. I need to buy a tool box and a few things, then I'm gonna get new coils and plugs, do a valve cover gasket just to prevent it from failing because I don't think it's been done on the car. But daily coming soon, working my ass off for it!

My Cars
    98 e36 m3 Estoril
    nice build. let me know what you think of those pads. just my 2 cents here but id keep the rest of the car original and not add those side skirts extensions, bigger front lip ect. keep the 95 original and GT look. That's just how id do it wth a 95 OBD1 but nonetheless, yours looks amazing. cheers
    Estoril

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by zactastic View Post
    nice build. let me know what you think of those pads. just my 2 cents here but id keep the rest of the car original and not add those side skirts extensions, bigger front lip ect. keep the 95 original and GT look. That's just how id do it wth a 95 OBD1 but nonetheless, yours looks amazing. cheers
    Thank you! But the pads make a LOT of noise lol. They work amazingly, no complaints but its just embarrassing how loud they are, definitely not gonna stick with them forever.

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE :
    Ordered new coils https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-pa...221504474~bos/
    New spark plugs https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-pa...plus--slash-6/
    Valve cover gasket, along with a transmission service kit and dif service kit.

If anyone knows what I need to do for the spark plugs, if they're the same prong or whatever as stock, if they need to be gapped and gapped to what, let me know!

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg
    Well today wasn't the happiest... If you personally know me you know my car is my world as for many of us car people. The last thing I'd ever wanna do is endanger my car and my girlfriend and today I did just that. Thank god it's only body parts, no frame damage or anything. So long story but I'll sum it up. There are 2 left turning lanes that go onto a 4 lane road ( 2 on each side ) I was in the right jeep was in the left, we both made the left turn and he cuts me off and comes into the right lane as I almost hit him and slam on my brakes, flip him off, honk my horn blah blah blah. About a 1/4 mile is an on ramp to a highway on the right so I go onto the on ramp and I'm almost next to this dude and he swerves into the on the ramp last second no turn signal or anything. The whole time on the ramp you could see him looking in his mirrors and smiling, I'll admit on the ramp I was mad and kept getting closer to him but I backed off before we got onto the busy highway. There was about 4-5 car lengths infront of us, doing about 50 on this ramp and speeding up to highway speeds, I went to merge left off the merging lane into traffic, and as I checked my blind spot this dude was DEAD stop in the middle of 70mph highway and thank god my girlfriend screamed and I turned around and hit my brakes but they were locked I wasn't able to turn and avoid this guy. The benz behind me was inches of slamming into me. We pulled over and the dude gets out and says "You're lucky I don't hit you kid" I straight up told him, go ahead dude right in this middle of the highway I want you too, and this was after I apologized to him for hitting his car, being the better person over an a-hole driver. he then goes back to his jeep blasts his music waits for the cops to come. Then told the cops I sped up into the back of his jeep and his jeep needs extreme repairs... it was a lifted jeep and the tow hooks shattered my headlight and dented my hood and fender. I went right under his spare tire... But lives aren't replaceable I couldn't be more thankful for being okay especially in an accident that could've been much worse on a busy highway.
    Last edited by Gymum1; 08-24-2017 at 08:00 AM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    UPDATE :
    Shop ordered all the parts today. The car has a lot of work waiting to be done to it, once I pay off the repair bill I'll save for a daily so I can really start building the car how I want to. Hopefully it'll be back in about 2 weeks.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupé CSM
    Damn Jeeps! On the bright side, that is not too bad for a highway accident, especially at those speeds.

Funny enough, I had my windshield smashed on the day you posted about yours and lost a Renown decal as well (though I recently found my second one, not sure if I want to put it on again though). What Renown do you have? I have a 130R Motorsport Competition, one of the best modest upgrades I've done.

My Cars
    z3
    That guy in the pink shirt is the one who did that?

I have to say man, being from Arizona and reading that from an AZ point of view I was expecting someone to take out a gun at some point. That crap would never fly here...

Luckily you are ok as you say but it really seems you have bad luck with this car.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast