Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New E36 Owner with some questions -1995 Avus Blue

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3

New E36 Owner with some questions -1995 Avus Blue

Hey all,

I just picked up a 1995 M3 Avus blue this past week. It's definitely a project, but is a pretty solid car. My plan is to really make it a great DD, and it's not far from there.

The good
    -Dinan Strut tower bars front and rear
    -Turner motorsports carbon CAI
    -Dinan chip (apparently)
    -Bilstein sports with H&R springs
    -Great OEM paint, with matching VIN tags on the panels
    -A huge stack of maintenance records
    -Two owner car
    -I pretty much stole it for what I paid

The not so good
    -It's an automatic (dang it)
    -226k miles
    -Vader seats have seen better days
    -A/C currently not functioning
    -Door panels are a little rough (vinyl is separating)

What I've done in the three days I've owned it
    -Gave it a good washing
    -PO gave me new slotted and drilled rotors, along with akebono pads, so I installed those
    -The headliner was sagging awful, so I took that out, got it recovered and installed

My questions:

PO said A/C worked a month ago, but not now. When I turn the snowflake on, the A/C compressor did not kick in, also AUX fan did not turn on. I jumped the AUX fan connector, both high and low speed function, so that's good news. I had an extra can of the refrigerant in a can, pressure was like zero, so I added some, and the compressor kicked on (good news), but still no cold air. When the compressor turned on and I went inside the cab to check the temp, It threw a CEL. It's code 1237 which is 1237 A/C Compressor cut off. I have no idea what to do with that, as I'm having a hard time finding people with the same error code. Long story short, should I just pony up the dough and take it to an A/C place, or are there other ways I can try to remedy this without other specialized A/C tools.

Thanks!

Last edited by Krohn27; 08-02-2016 at 07:16 PM.
    1999 M Coupe Evergreen | 2008 E90 M3

Click the here for E36 M3 manual swap project!

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    bring it to an ac place to get it pressure tested or diy if you have the tools. It's likely still low and there's probably a leak. So you'll have to replace the o-rings (find out where the system is leaking from first).

Bilsteins are a little stiffly valved. You may want to put some HR OE sports or stock m3 springs on there if it's going to be your DD. Dinan springs are also a good choice. I would get some konis though. Nice ride! Enjoy the auto for awhile.

My Cars
    98 M3
    That body looks fantastic, especially for the milage. Swap that tranny.
    Avus really is the best colour.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    bring it to an ac place to get it pressure tested or diy if you have the tools. It's likely still low and there's probably a leak. So you'll have to replace the o-rings (find out where the system is leaking from first).

Bilsteins are a little stiffly valved. You may want to put some HR OE sports or stock m3 springs on there if it's going to be your DD. Dinan springs are also a good choice. I would get some konis though. Nice ride! Enjoy the auto for awhile.
    I will definitely take it to an A/C place. I'm trying to do a little more trouble-shooting before I do take it in though. I'd like to figure out why the AUX fan isn't coming on when I press the A/C button like it should. I jumped it earlier in the day and it functioned, then I tried later on in the day and it didn't. So i'm a little confused on that. I actually don't mind the way the Bilsteins ride honestly.

That body looks fantastic, especially for the milage. Swap that tranny.
    Avus really is the best colour.
    Thanks! I see a transmission swap in my future for sure, once I get everything else all sorted out. I also have a set of genuine stamped LTW wheels in my garage that I might throw on. I originally had them for my z3 coupe, but I think this car is what they really belong on.

****Edit*** I went outside and double checked the relay locations, I was intending on stealing some from my z3 to see if that was an issue. Well the A/C compressor and fan relay were actually swapped (not in their correct positions). I swapped those, double checked the AUX fan fuse, sure enough it was blown. So I replaced that as well. Started the car, pressed the snowflake, and the compressor engages and AUX fan started up, no more CEL as well. Making good headway.
    Last edited by Krohn27; 07-10-2016 at 09:35 AM. Reason: adding info

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    You can put some dye in the AC system to see where it's leaking from. The aux fan turns on by the switch on the side of the radiator. Car must be at operating temperature and AC must be on (and working). That's probably why it doesn't turn on unless you jump it.

My Cars
    see my signature
    Beautiful car! I vote for full Modena interior conversion when it's time to deal with the seats!

I have to deal with a no AC situation in my '99 as well. I believe there's a pressure switch on the dryer that has to report good system pressure before allowing the compressor to engage... I think my system is bone dry, but I don't have an AC system checker. I'm sure o-rings are needed someplace... Could you detail the relays and fuse you fixed just so I can make sure they're ok on my car as well? Not sure if the '95 and '99 are different in that regard...

BTW any idea why they recommend replacing the dryer every time the system is overhauled?
    Last edited by Chamberlin; 07-10-2016 at 10:34 AM.
    2006 R53 JCW (British Racing Green) - 1994 E31 840Ci 6spd (AVUS Blue)
    2021 F56 JCW (Rebel Green) - 2000 E38 740i Sport (Titanium Silver)
    2017 F26 X4 M40i (Carbon Black) - 2007 E91 328iT (Deep Green)
    2012 E82 135i M Sport (Marrakesh Brown) - 2015 E84 X1 (Cashmere Silver)
    2005 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Kalahari Beige) - 2000 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2000 E38 740i Sport (Oxford Green) - 1999 E36 M3 Coupe (Fern Green)
    1995 E31 840Ci Canadian (Oxford Green) - 2000 E36/8 M Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2004 E46 330Ci (Oxford Green) - 2001 E36/8 Z3 3.0i Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2002 E39 525i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2002 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2001 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2007 E63 M6 (Silver Grey)
    1995 E31 840Ci (Oxford Green) - 2006 E86 M Coupe (Sepang Bronze)
    2001 E39 530i Sport (Aspen Silver) - 2009 E92 M3 (Space Grey)
    2001 E38 740i Sport (Sahara Beige) - 2008 E92 M3 (Melbourne Red)
    2000 E38 740i Sport Canadian (Sahara Beige) - 1997 E31 850Ci (Jet Black)

My Cars
    96 M3. 94 E34. 98 750il
    Very nice car OP. i recently picked up the same as a project. Tours looks great, especially considering the milage.

If you ac had no pressure, you definitely have a leak. As mentioned before, there is a low pressure switch that will not allow the compressor to turn on unless it sees adequate system pressure. When you put the can of refrigerant in it was probably just enough to cycle the compressor for a minute. It pumped the new refrigerant through the system, brought the pressure back down (maybe it leaked out that quick?) and turned the compressor off, probably setting the ac code have.

Buy a can or two of refrigerant with dye, put it in and turn the ac on for a while. Then find a buddy with a black light, or buy one at wally world, and inspect the ac system under the black light. You'll see where the dye is leaking from. Find and fix the leak, THEN bring it to an ac shop so they can do a proper evacuation and recharge. The ac system needs to be sucked down and hold a vacuum before its filled, to operate properly. Those cans you buy at the parts store are a band aid.

As a general rule of thumb, people replace the a/c drier as a "while im in there" kind of thing. If you havent had a mechanical failure, i.e. a compressor blow up, then you might be able to skip it. The metal fragments of the compressor can get stuck in the drier when the compressor fails. On second thought, with the milage, and having no pressure in the system for an unknown amount of time, replacing the drier isnt such a bad idea. Sorry for the long winded response.
    "**if you suck at driving, it certainly could put you into a curb. Don't suck."

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    A few updates, I haven't messed with the A/C yet. Still weighing my options on figuring out the leak. I'm optimistic that a leak is all it is. Hopefully some new o-rings on some A/C lines will remedy it. The previous owner disconnected the battery and didn't know the radio code, so it wasn't functioning when I bought the car. I called the dealer, and two minutes later, radio works. PO also had 6x9s for the back with bavauto adapaters, (there was no speakers at all installed back there). I installed those and it sounds pretty decent. It's a budget car, so I'm happy with the results. I also threw on my set of genuine staggered LTW wheels. They feel right at home on there I'm sure!

I'm currently battling the hood latch. The passenger side hood latch seems to open when it feels like it. Aka, I went out there a little while ago, tried maybe 10 times and couldn't get the darn hood open. Once I do get it open, is there something I can do to keep this from happening?

New fog lights are on the way.

Last edited by Krohn27; 08-02-2016 at 07:18 PM.

My Cars
    N/A
    Wow that car is super clean for 226k, and the LTWs look great on it.

My Cars
    96 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Krohn27 View Post
    A few updates, I haven't messed with the A/C yet. Still weighing my options on figuring out the leak. I'm optimistic that a leak is all it is. Hopefully some new o-rings on some A/C lines will remedy it. The previous owner disconnected the battery and didn't know the radio code, so it wasn't functioning when I bought the car. I called the dealer, and two minutes later, radio works. PO also had 6x9s for the back with bavauto adapaters, (there was no speakers at all installed back there). I installed those and it sounds pretty decent. It's a budget car, so I'm happy with the results. I also threw on my set of genuine staggered LTW wheels. They feel right at home on there I'm sure! I'm currently battling the hood latch. The passenger side hood latch seems to open when it feels like it. Aka, I went out there a little while ago, tried maybe 10 times and couldn't get the darn hood open. Once I do get it open, is there something I can do to keep this from happening? New fog lights are on the way.
    Check the alignment of the hood. If one side is higher than the other the latch will get stuck.

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2018 Macan Turb
    I have same color 95, personally I like the DS1's on this car the best.

PCA HPDE Instructor
    current:
    2004 M3 convert 6sp man - low mileage beauty!

past:
    1995 BMW M3 3.2
    2004 M3 convert SMG
    2003 BMW 540i6 Alpine White M sport (I want her back!)

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonaudi View Post
    I have same color 95, personally I like the DS1's on this car the best.

I really like the DS1's too, unfortunately the car sat for a while, and it sat on the RR with a flat for a while too. The tires were extremely dry-rotted and cracked. The fronts had a bunch of tread left, but they were just unsafe to drive on. I think I'll see if I can get the DS1's re-powder coated and find some new tires for them, those will be my winter wheels!

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    Durty Durm for the win! I roll around town in my AW M3/4/5.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalr6 View Post
    Check the alignment of the hood. If one side is higher than the other the latch will get stuck.
    Got the hood open today, one hood pin was significantly higher than the other. I messed with it for little while, evened it out, sprayed each latch and pin with some WD, and generally just cleaned them up some. Hood opens and closes as it should for the time being, but I will give it a week of open and closing with no issues before I call it fixed.

I also installed the Sony head unit that was new in box that the previous owner gave me. Really was an easy task, radio reception is exceptionally better, no more fuzzy stations. It also has AUX in and USB hookup, which is really all I care about.

Durty Durm for the win! I roll around town in my AW M3/4/5.
    Awesome, throw a honk if you see in me in the Clownshoe or the M3. I don't really have any car friends up this way, shoot me a PM if you ever need any help on a project!

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Just a few updates, got the new foglights installed. ($30 on ebay). I also purchased replacement stripes for the rear badge. They came from http://www.donewhenimdead.com/ and I'm extremely pleased with the quality. Lastly, I got the windows tinted 35%, I'm wishing I would have gone a little darker honestly, but that's alright, I'm not getting it re-done! (tint in very last photo). I'm going to change the oil on it today, hopefully it makes the 4-hour trip to the beach on Monday!

EDIT** I also replaced the door handle trim, the gasket was so cracked, it was almost non-existent. It's an extremely easy and cheap job to do on these e36/z3 cars.

New badge stripes.
    Last edited by Krohn27; 08-13-2016 at 10:09 AM.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    I'll echo everyone else, car looks amazing for the mileage!
    CBlock

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    I'll echo everyone else, car looks amazing for the mileage!
    This.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Couple small updates, I accidentally deleted like 10 years worth of photobucket photos, so the thread is missing a few (I tried to upload them again). I've been DD'ing the M3 lately with no hiccups (knock on wood). I really really enjoy driving it. I got some Titanium lug bolts from Acer racing to compliment my refinished LTW wheels. I'm hoping to have the DS1's powder coated in the next few weeks as well. I also ordered a 3-spoke steering wheel that was refinished by member "Shepott" so that should be coming in this upcoming week.

My Cars
    98 M3
    This car is just beautiful. Glad it's getting enjoyed.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    what did you end doing with the DS1s?

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
    what did you end doing with the DS1s?
    I got the tires dismounted, and I'll be sending them to the same guy that powder coated my LTW wheels. Just a matter of $ at this point, but the powder coater works fast and efficiently. So once I take them to him, turnaround is about a week and a half. I'm trying to buy an M coupe (clownshoe) from someone local that I stumbled upon, so I'm waiting to see how that pans out before I continue my journey on the M3. I may need to shuffle some cars around lol.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    I got my steering wheel from Shepott today to replace the four spoke school bus wheel that came equipped with the car, very very pleased with it. The slip ring threw me for a loop however, It's an early multi-function steering wheel slip ring from a e39/e38. However after doing some research, turns out that slip ring ( P/N 1094261 ) is the same as a single stage e36 M3 one, it just has a few more wires with an extra plug. The airbag was plug and play, but I did have to splice for the horn. I hope I wired that right, the horns works at least..

anyway...on to the pics.

Last edited by Krohn27; 08-18-2016 at 07:35 PM.

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    That wheels looks great--I'm jelly. I'll have to drive out and see it. All the more incentive if you have a new clownshoe. It'll be an S54 variant, right?!
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    My pockets aren't that deep! I'd love an S54 someday, but the one I came across is an S52 (1999). The S54 prices are wild right now, with no foreseen future of coming down in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex36 View Post
    That wheels looks great--I'm jelly. I'll have to drive out and see it. All the more incentive if you have a new clownshoe. It'll be an S54 variant, right?!
    Thanks a bunch!

This car is just beautiful. Glad it's getting enjoyed.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Did you re-use original headliner material?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast