Thread: My e38 project

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il

My e38 project

Hi all,

So this is my 2nd time posting and my 1st car build which still has a ways to go... I usually just buy cars that look sort of the way I want. It's my 2nd e38 (1st was a 740i that I owned for about a year).

I have average mechanical knowledge but I know how to use google and YouTube to find most info. I'm constantly on here watching silently and getting more knowledge on how to do things (thanks). Anyhow, my 1st e38 motor took a crap on me and I couldn't figure out what to do as it was my DD at the time. My father convinced me to use it for parts and get another from CL for cheap, so I did. It was at a body shop and I got it for $1k. I drove it a bit after replacing the windshield, rotors, wheel sensors, and swapping the rims that were on my old e38 (had good tires). Sold the old e38 for $400 but wish I could've held on a little longer, we had to move. That was 2015, the car sat most of that time in my driveway here in CA. I recently go the front and rear bumper replaced thanks to the junkyard, my car is now 2 tone. I installed H&R springs and I started sanding down the drivers side as there are a few dents that need to be fixed plus a lot of peel and that's where I'm at so far...

I will post pics and updates as I do things but it's been tough as we just had a new addition to the family (a baby, not another car) but I really want to get my ride on the road!

Thanks for reading and for the future assistance I'll ask for

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dstcyr; 06-30-2017 at 01:35 AM.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Oh yeah.. I replaced the O2 sensors, swapped out the taillight for newer model ones I found in the junkyard and replaced the center console wood grain. That's all so far I think. Wish I would've started a list back when I started 🤦🏾*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    nic3 going there buddy I like the rims
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    nic3 going there buddy I like the rims
    Thanks, will do

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    I want to put together a set of 3 piece rims but am still researching info on that. If not, I'll probably just go with Style 95s as I grew to like them from seeing them so often when browsing

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Also, thinking about painting the car Satin with Gloss black trim... in my mind it sounds cool but idk. Any thoughts?

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    Gloss with satin trim would be my choice, but to each his own.
    It's to please yourself, not the populace.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    So today I attempted to correct my alignment (forgot to mention above that I replaced all the front suspension the week before I parked it about 2 years back). It started squealing around 20-30 mph. I adjusted the drivers side, drove it around my community and the squeal is gone. It's slightly drifting to the right still.

Is there an easy DIY way to get the alignment correct?

My Cars
    2000 740il, 1965 Mustang
    Personally, I would get an alignment done by an indy that knows what they are doing, then tweak if needed. I got new tires a while back and had alignment done at same time. I asked them to center steering wheel and they said ok sure but didn't happen. I had to adjust the tie rod sleeves on each side to get it centered. Castor and toe can play a huge role in how the car follows a straight line. Since there really is no castor adjustment on an E38, focus on toe if you are doing it yourself. You can do the true and tried string method or buy an alignment kit that will do the same thing. I bought one for my 65 Mustang because I didn't trust any shop to do it. One of the best purchases I ever made for that car. Here is a good company that makes a very good alignment kit.

https://www.quicktrickalignment.com/

WOW! I see their prices have doubled since I bought my kit. Maybe go string method. LOL. Google it.
    Last edited by sirbevo; 07-07-2017 at 12:23 AM.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbevo View Post
    Personally, I would get an alignment done by an indy that knows what they are doing, then tweak if needed. I got new tires a while back and had alignment done at same time. I asked them to center steering wheel and they said ok sure but didn't happen. I had to adjust the tie rod sleeves on each side to get it centered. Castor and toe can play a huge role in how the car follows a straight line. Since there really is no castor adjustment on an E38, focus on toe if you are doing it yourself. You can do the true and tried string method or buy an alignment kit that will do the same thing. I bought one for my 65 Mustang because I didn't trust any shop to do it. One of the best purchases I ever made for that car. Here is a good company that makes a very good alignment kit.

https://www.quicktrickalignment.com/

WOW! I see their prices have doubled since I bought my kit. Maybe go string method. LOL. Google it.
    Thanks, I've saw that string method on YouTube and thought of giving it a go... let you know how it works out

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il

My e38 project

Alright, so I decided I'd give some body work a go. After watching various YouTube videos I thought "I can definitely do that!" I took pics until I found that I was taking way longer than I expected (I did have to stop a few times in between though, and my son was asking a ton of questions during)

I didn't complete the job today, had to call it quits early. But I'll put up more pics in the morning before work of where I left off. Hopefully it'll be done by Saturday afternoon (have work next 2 days and a few other errands afterwards)

Last edited by dstcyr; 07-13-2017 at 12:48 AM.

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    It's coming along.... slowly!

My Cars
    2007 Z4 M Coupe
    Progress looks nice! Keep it up.
    Current: 2007 Z4 M Coupe (blue/black)
    Previous: 2001 740iL Sport (black/black), 2000 528i Sport (black/tan), 1995 318is (black/black), 1991 318is (white/black)

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskii View Post
    Progress looks nice! Keep it up.
    Thanks will do!

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il

My Cars
    '98 BMW 740il

Will knock this out on the weekend!