Thought I'd start a separate thread. It's been many years of warm floor and defrost but now it's really hot but I don't drive the car much so I've been putting it off. I finally dug into the heater valve. The two brass plungers were free. The seals around the stem were gone and the seals where the plunger sits looked somewhat bad. I learned something though. I assumed the solenoid moved the two plungers. When I tried to pull on the sleeve to see if I could remove them neither one moved. I finally pulled really hard on one and it came free. It is spring loaded to the up position and is actually the part moved by the solenoid. So both of the valves were stuck open which I'm sure must be my issue.

Feel free to correct me but I believe now that with no power to the solenoid it allows the plunger to move up allowing hot coolant to flow, but if there is no flow the plunger seats on the bottom to avoid reverse flow. When the solenoid is energized it forces the sleave down forcing the plunger to shut off coolant flow. I've read that the heater valve modulates temp in the heater core but as it is either open or closed is it constantly cycling? Also, when asking for cool air is the solenoid constantly energized to stop the flow. I've also read that the flow is cut off only when asking for full cold via the detent. Is that the case?

Anyway, thought this was interesting and while I decide which parts to by I've taken it out and plugged the three hoses. I did learn the hard way that the two lines exiting the heater valve do become pressurized as one of the plugs actually was an adaptor with a threaded hole in the middle that I missed, so when I drove it to get it to temperature, and probably when the thermostat opened, coolant started flowing out of that opening.

As to parts, I need one clips that hold the cabin filters in place, the ones on the outboard side. Also, I need the clip that holds the electrical connector to the valve/aux pump that is connected to the firewall. Are these available? I will be getting the aux pump as about a quarter inch of the nipple was broken off inside the hose. Luckily the clamp was on closer to the pump and remained on.

Well, without the valve I am as cold as I've ever been in this car which is awesome! Thanks for the help.IMG_9339.jpgIMG_9343.jpgIMG_9345.JPGIMG_9346.JPGIMG_9348.jpg