Thread: Replaced starter now no starter or speedo

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP, 04 Yukon

Replaced starter now no starter or speedo

I replaced the starter in my 04 330ci today and the first few times I started it it was fine. I drove it for about 15 mins and when I stopped i heard what I thought was the aux fan running. I just fixed my ac and thought that's why it might be running now. I came out 2 minutes later and still heard it, when I went to start the car I had no starter. Popped the hood and the sound was coming from inside or below the manifold. I popped started the car and got to my appointment. Tried again and a few times after and still no starter. Coming home I realized my speedometer only reads about 16mph. As soon as I start moving it jumps up and when I stop it drops below 0. Anyone got any ideas? I'm suppose to be taking the car on a 6 hour trip saturday morning and need everything working.
    Check out my current build pics here

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I suspect that you disturbed the crankshaft position sensor/connection while replacing the starter,
    as they are located in the same general area.

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP, 04 Yukon
    Why would it have started fine the first few times I tried it?

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    Because if you knocked it loose while working on it, running the car could have caused it to lose connection.

My Cars
    04 330ci ZHP, 04 Yukon
    Problem solved. The battery + wire shorted to the small terminal (the one on the top when the starter is installed, black /yellow wire). The starter stayed running and burnt out. What I didn't realize until I pulled it back out is the standoff that the battery and alt wire mount to is much shorter on the starter I swapped in. It must have moved just enough to short out as I was driving. Swapped the old one (with the longer B+ standoff) in and it started right up. Haven't been on a test drive yet to check the speedo but I was able to do an oil service reset so I'm guessing all is good. No idea why the nazi engineers designed it that way but if your speedo only reads 0 or 15 mph but everything else works and no lights on the dash then check that wire. I thought I had seen something about it in one of the searches I did but couldn't find it again. Thanks for the help