Thread: '95 E36 Radio Code doesn't work

My Cars
    1995 325i 'vert

'95 E36 Radio Code doesn't work

I recently was starting my car and something random happened and the electronics got all weird. I turned it off and back on and the radio asked for the code. So I then got the card that was in my handbook with the code and serial number in it and tried putting it in. I would just get a beep sound. Sometimes on the first. Sometimes on the last number. Sometimes in between. I called BMW North America and they told me to contact a dealer who then told me it would cost $175 to reset the code. That's a no from me. Is there any way I can do this myself or fix it?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    What procedure did you use to enter the code? Step by step.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    What procedure did you use to enter the code? Step by step.
    This. Also, call more dealers. Some will do I over the phone for free, some just want to see registration/ownership proof.

My Cars
    1995 325i 'vert
    Turned on the car. Typed in my code (31322) and if I got a beep before the end I'd switch the radio off and start again. If I get one at the end and no help I'd still switch it off before trying again. Is there another button to press? I see that it says "code" on a button on the obc but it hasn't helped if I press it before typing the code in.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    The "code" on the OBC has nothing to do with the Radio Code. That is more of an anti theft thing where you can enter a code before leaving the car and the car wont start unless the code is then entered.

Also, when entering the code on the radio, it isnt required to turn off and on again. it should just receive the code and start working. Check your connections in the rear of the radio, if they are loose and you hit a big bump, it will trigger the radio to give you a code prompt.

Otherwise what these guys said is correct, keep trying diff dealers for an actual code.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    The radio has a Code Counter, if the counter gets to 3, the radio is inoperative and no further input is allowed until the Code Counter is reset.

Set the key to Position I (ON) and the radio on, and walk away. Come back in 20 minutes. Press the pre-set station buttons according to the code. This should revive the radio. There's always a chance that after 20 years, the radio has died at least once before, and the code you have is for a different unit. I have no clue what you do in this case.

The Radio Code is an anti-theft thing. If power goes away then the radio assumes a theft attempt and demands you input a code that a bad guy that steals radios would not have, and therefore could not turn around and sell the radio for another hit of crack. The radio gives you three chances to input the 5-digit code, the beep indicates the 5th digit. 3 beeps and you're out. The idea is that the crooks have 7,000 codes to randomly enter, and they have to wait 20-ish minutes every third attempt. This means it would take them weeks trying random codes for 24 hours a day until the radio comes on. The crack would wear off long before then and they would be off to other endeavors.

A weak battery, a condition that might explain the initial post, will simulate the radio being removed, and this triggers the CODE on the radio.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjc6547 View Post
    Turned on the car. Typed in my code (31322) and if I got a beep before the end I'd switch the radio off and start again. If I get one at the end and no help I'd still switch it off before trying again. Is there another button to press? I see that it says "code" on a button on the obc but it hasn't helped if I press it before typing the code in.

This button is for an anti-theft system that requires input from the 1000, 100, 10, and 1 buttons on the OBC (On Board Computer). This feature is a pain to use on a regular basis because it requires you to establish a code, then use the code every time you get into the car. It's a neat, kinda, feature in principal, but not really feasible for daily/regular use. It adds another step to the process of starting the car. It has nothing to do with the code that the radio is screaming about.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    The radio has a Code Counter, if the counter gets to 3, the radio is inoperative and no further input is allowed until the Code Counter is reset.

Set the key to Position I (ON) and the radio on, and walk away. Come back in 20 minutes. Press the pre-set station buttons according to the code. This should revive the radio. There's always a chance that after 20 years, the radio has died at least once before, and the code you have is for a different unit. I have no clue what you do in this case.

The Radio Code is an anti-theft thing. If power goes away then the radio assumes a theft attempt and demands you input a code that a bad guy that steals radios would not have, and therefore could not turn around and sell the radio for another hit of crack. The radio gives you three chances to input the 5-digit code, the beep indicates the 5th digit. 3 beeps and you're out. The idea is that the crooks have 7,000 codes to randomly enter, and they have to wait 20-ish minutes every third attempt. This means it would take them weeks trying random codes for 24 hours a day until the radio comes on. The crack would wear off long before then and they would be off to other endeavors.

A weak battery, a condition that might explain the initial post, will simulate the radio being removed, and this triggers the CODE on the radio.
    love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    I was able to go to my dealer parts counter and give them my vin number and radio serial number and they went to their computer and pulled up the code. Gave it to me free of charge. I don't think they do that on the phone but in person they aren't worried about theft.
    Current fleet:
    1999 BMW e36 M3
    1999 BMW e36 328is with rotary valve engine head
    1999 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
    1990 Jeep Comanche Eliminator
    1962 Austin Healey Sprite

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I'm not convinced you're entering the code correctly. Look at the radio and you'll see the radio preset buttons are numbered. If your code is 51332 then you press the 5 button once next press the 1 button once next the 3 button once then the three button once then the 2 button once. Ive seen people use some very "creative" methods to enter the code. Of course only one method works and like JD said, if you exceeded the 3 attempt limit you'll have to reset it.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I'm not convinced you're entering the code correctly. Look at the radio and you'll see the radio preset buttons are numbered. If your code is 51332 then you press the 5 button once next press the 1 button once next the 3 button once then the three button once then the 2 button once. Ive seen people use some very "creative" methods to enter the code. Of course only one method works and like JD said, if you exceeded the 3 attempt limit you'll have to reset it.

The code is 31332. Press the Preset button #3, followed by 1 then 3, then 3 again, then 2.

With five digits and six buttons for each, you have 6x6x6x6x6 combinations.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i
    Hi I can't input the code on my e36 radio, it mostly shows " - - - - " and sometimes shows nothing at all but even leaving it for 2 hours on and later tried to leave it for 2 hours off it still didn't let me enter the code. can you help.. and if you need the code it's "5899"

My Cars
    yay
    Is your battery in good condition? I just went through the process and discovered my low battery was causing problems with the radio not accepting the code. Replaced battery and it started accepting the code.
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW