Thread: New M Coupe, New Project

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3

New M Coupe, New Project

Hey folks, I had a great opportunity to purchase a 1999 M coupe this past weekend. When I initially saw the ad, it was extremely short, not much information at all, but I pursued it and went to look at it right away. Hooked onto the trailer and headed about an hour away. I was told it had been sitting for a while (a family member posted it for sale, helping the owner). I didn't expect for them to say that the car had been sitting for five years.

Either way, I brought the good battery out of my 2.8 Coupe, some fresh fuel, and a slew of tools in case I needed them. I put the battery in, checked the coolant level, oil level, and I couldn't believe it, it started up. I looked it over, checked the mileage, and inspected the car. It was a bit rougher than I had anticipated, but either way, I bought the car. It needs attention. Lots of little things all over the car, but I'm very pleased to start the journey. The car will be going to a paint restoration/detailer on the first of August. There, the headlights will come out and restored, tailights off, car up on a lift, wheels off, seats out, and it will be completely gone through from a cleaning aspect.

My first priority is getting the oil changed, and getting new rotors and pads on it. I don't know how somebody lets brakes get this bad, but they are absolutely the most sketchy thing ever. It has a long list of things that I will be doing, but I'll hopefully update along the way. Here's a list of things off the top of my head it needs.

A/C & Recirc button
    Passenger side seat adjuster button
    Windows aren't rolling down (But I can hear a relay clicking?)
    New wipers,
    rear wiper delete
    Door handle gaskets
    I'll be swapping my KW V3 suspension over, along with my clear front bumper corners, and ZHP shift knob, and CD43 radio
    A/C needs to be recharged
    missing the lower front splash guard that's found under front bumper.
    New roundels
    New M stripes on the badges
    Tint is junk
    Gas door is missing little rubber stopper
    I found a BMW remote keyfob under the seat and the light turns red when I click the button, but the locks don't do anything

The car is bone stock

Really it just needs to be gone through. It's a very straight car, clean title, just needs attention. Here's a few pics!

1999 M Coupe Evergreen | 2008 E90 M3

Click the here for E36 M3 manual swap project!

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Looks a nice project. Add 'split driver's seat' to the list!

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    Looks a nice project. Add 'split driver's seat' to the list!
    LOL yes, the list is longer. Like when I went to roll the windows down the button pushed through the console.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    nice find though. I would love to find a deal on a coupe to fix up. I am currently fixing up a neglected M Roadster.

My Cars
    00 EG M Coupe
    Congrats on securing the M Coupe Alex! #SchuhSynidicat2018
    WTB: Z3 M Coupe - G-Power front splitters, driver's side door panel

WTB: E36 M3 Coupe - CF Roof plug, LTW Spoiler

My Cars
    M Coupe, A4 Avant , MGB
    Nice, The exhaust tips are super clean inside! Did you clean them up? Or does that car just run very clean?

My Cars
    2012 1er
    Congrats on find!

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmaflac View Post
    Congrats on securing the M Coupe Alex! #SchuhSynidicat2018
    Thanks Nick!

Nice, The exhaust tips are super clean inside! Did you clean them up? Or does that car just run very clean?
    It appears the PO did a last ditch effort to wash the car and maybe hit the exhaust tips with a rag before I got there, wasn't fooling me though! It needs some serious polish and 0000 steel wool treatment honestly.

Congrats on find!
    Thank you sir!

I haven't touched the car yet since the day I bought it. I left it at a family members house two hours from me, but I've got the first batch of parts coming in this week.

-New Brakes and pads
    -OEM floor mats
    -Door handle gaskets
    -Nifty little anodized CNC plug for the rear wiper delete
    -Resistor to fix the HVAC fan only blowing on position 4
    -New A/C / Recirculate button
    -Front and rear OEM roundels
    -Little rubber stopper for gas door (missing, the fuel door sits too far in)
    -Passenger side seat adjuster button

I'll also need to snag a battery for it sooner rather than later!
    Last edited by Krohn27; 07-03-2017 at 11:07 AM.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    So I was able to work on the car some (it was only the second time I had seen it since the purchase, as it's two hours from me at my brothers house).

The new brake pads and rotors went on. The brakes that were on it were easily some of the worst I've ever seen. The new HVAC resistor for the blower motor went in without a hitch, I also put new M stripes on the badges (they came from never done garage). I did the door handle gaskets, rear wiper delete, as well as put a new battery in and changed the oil for the first time in 5 years. I drove it 30 miles to the detailer/paint restorer without a hiccup! I'm working on getting the stock wheels powder coated, and then those will go back on the car. It should look like a whole new machine when the detailer does his magic. There will be some spots that are just too faded, but it will be night and day for me at least. I've got a plenty of plans for it, I can't wait to get it home.

As you can see, its in good company at the detailer. He is a major BMW enthusiast, owns an S54 swapped e30 M3, and a 450+hp 535i. Oh, he also had a 2000 Clownshoe.

Last edited by Krohn27; 07-14-2017 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Many updates on the Coupe. I got the car back from the detailer a while ago, pretty much rolled the dice and drove it two hours home (thankfully it didn't break down).

The paint is frankly pretty far gone, it needs to be re-painted, but maybe someday.

I stripped the tint that was on the car, as it was 5 different shades. I then got it re-tinted with some nice 3M product. OEM wheels were powder coated, fresh rubber, Scorpian catback installed, KW V3 coilovers, IE rear shock mounts, and I've have been slowly fixing various little bits and pieces. Dinan strut bar was put on, along with a Racing Dynamics CF cover. The headliner is currently out of the car, I'll be refinishing that. Both window posts are snapped off, causing the side windows to not function properly. That's a huge pain in the ass. I'm hoping to tackle that in the next month. I've got a new radiator, stewart pump, thermostat, and hoses waiting to go on. Slowly and surely, it's coming along.

Last edited by Krohn27; 11-13-2017 at 03:36 PM.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    I snagged these roof bars and roof rack from CL for a steal...so decided to mount it all up and run it for a little while. It looks absolutely ridiculous, in a love it or hate it way. The bars are e46 and e39 bars slightly modified. Just taking a dremel and 10 minutes, you're good to go. The basket is also an OEM bmw basket..I can get the part numbers for anyone interested.

My Cars
    z3
    Some of these pictures are not working for me, but great to see someone taking care of a coupe!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe

-New Brakes and pads
    -OEM floor mats
    -Door handle gaskets
    -Nifty little anodized CNC plug for the rear wiper
    -Resistor to fix the HVAC fan only blowing on position 4
    -New A/C / Recirculate button
    -Front and rear OEM roundels
    -Little rubber stopper for gas door (missing, the fuel door sits too far in)
    -Passenger side seat adjuster button

Where did you get the CNC plug for the rear wiper delete ? Mine came with a plastic plug that I've never liked.

Thanks!

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    A few more updates.

I've been slowly tackling things on this car. The headliner was terrible, I took it out and got it recovered in just some simple black material (went out through the passenger door with the pass seat out.

The car now sits on 18" CCW Classics that I picked up from another member.

Yesterday I took the Aux fan out so I could replace the broken shroud and front grille. Those parts should be in this week.

Next up will be stewart pump, radiator, thermostat/housing and hoses. Then it will get a motion motorsports front undertray.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    Looking forward to more photos. It's the little things that make a big difference. Keep up the good work.

My Cars
    1999 M-Coupe, 2013 S60RD
    Quote Originally Posted by Krohn27 View Post
    A few more updates.

I've been slowly tackling things on this car. The headliner was terrible, I took it out and got it recovered in just some simple black material (went out through the passenger door with the pass seat out.

The car now sits on 18" CCW Classics that I picked up from another member.

Yesterday I took the Aux fan out so I could replace the broken shroud and front grille. Those parts should be in this week.

Next up will be stewart pump, radiator, thermostat/housing and hoses. Then it will get a motion motorsports front undertray.

how labor intensive was removing the headliner? Need to tackle this myself...

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe | E90M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Grauc View Post
    how labor intensive was removing the headliner? Need to tackle this myself...

Not sure why my photos aren't showing up. That's a pain.

Anyway, I was just telling someone recently that I really did not enjoy doing this process. I had to bend the headliner an uncomfortable amount going in and out. In the end, it looks fine, and I don't see any creases, however, If i needed it done again, I'd pay someone to do it next time.

My Cars
    z3
    I made a DIY on removing the headliner but think I forgot to post it. I put hte seats down all the way, then took it out the pass window, carefully, with moderate bending. Went back in easier than it came out.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!