Thread: Looking at a 525i E34, would really like some advice.

My Cars
    1995 E34 530iT

Looking at a 525i E34, would really like some advice.

So I've read over a decent bit of forum posts before this and have come to conclusion that this car is worth checking out:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

If kijiji links aren't allowed, mods please remove. I couldn't find the permitted/not permitted sites

If I end up buying it, you can bet I'm gonna take that M badge off the second the papers are signed. I'm 17 and not really rolling in cash but love E34's, would this make a decent daily? It has the m20b25 so I'm not sure if that's going to lead to many issues down the road. The timing belt will 100% need to be done so I'll be able to get it for cheaper, too. Thankfully I can change this on my own. What do you guys think? Good buy for ~$2900?

Thanks

My Cars
    various
    Decent enough car, looks to be reasonably maintained although I would check condition of:

Cooling system
    Chassis suspension including thrust arms, control arms etc
    Timing belt (as mentioned)
    Hvac blower. (Failures cause fires)
    Rust. Check Jack points and door bottoms. A Calgary car should be ok but there could be rot under those side skirts.

It has a body kit but it's not an M5 kit so seller is blowing smoke there. No added value imo. See the faq stickied here for info on body kits.
    M20 is the least desireable / lowest power of an e34 engine in NA. Not a bad engine, just not preferred. The 5 speed will help make up for it in fun factor though.
    Wheels are nothing special. Aftermarket.
    I suspect ebay taillights and mirrors.

Price at $2900 cdn is OK the upper edge. Personally I'd prefer it closer to $2k given the timing belt.
    Last edited by zubbie; 06-27-2017 at 11:02 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525it
    You should get that car. The "mods" on it look kind of tacky, but I suppose you could keep them. I personally wouldn't buy that car for $2900, since I got my manual wagon for $1500. It's one of those cars that you can do pretty much anything car related with (e.g. getting groceries, picking up your prom date, driving to school, etc.), and the manual only helps. Lose those godawful wheels, though, and get some style 19s with the money you saved from negotiating. Here's what those look like:

fullsizeoutput_1d.jpg

My Cars
    1995 E34 530iT
    holy, you guys are useful. Thanks so much for the help. I've decided that 2900 is definitely high. I brought the kit up with the owner he said he knew and would bump a few hundred off. Gonna go look in 2 days.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeAstronaut View Post
    holy, you guys are useful. Thanks so much for the help. I've decided that 2900 is definitely high. I brought the kit up with the owner he said he knew and would bump a few hundred off. Gonna go look in 2 days.
    Those cheesy body kits are handy for hiding rust too, not that a twenty five year old car in Canada should have any.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 E34 530iT
    I'm gonna check that for sure, thanks. Honestly all I want is a 525 e34 not an M5 so chances are I'll pick up a stock kit anyhow.

My Cars
    1991 BMW e34 525i
    I'm gonna check that for sure, thanks. Honestly all I want is a 525 e34 not an M5 so chances are I'll pick up a stock kit anyhow.
    Let me know if you sell off the kit I'll help you offset the price

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    If you can swing it get a pre-purchase inspection. Might cost $100, but it's money well spent especially since things like the timing belt and other critical systems like brakes, tires, and cooling could be better assessed, all things that could need attention not too far down the road. Use the PPI to negotiate a reasonable price. The PPI also affords the opportunity to get the car up on a rack to have the best possible view of rust. As previously mentioned, pay attention to the jack points and rocker panels under the trim kit. As far as price goes, $2900 would be top dollar given the mileage, the less desirable engine, and having four previous owners. It does appear to be in good shape from the images provided. Most sellers like to use "sellers' math" meaning they want to add their improvements like the M5 kit and flashy wheels to the price of a basic car. Don't buy into that unless those are items you value and would add yourself. The wheels are a bit over the top for this classic. Check out Style 5 wheels; a well regarded, attractive wheel for the E34. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

My Cars
    e34 525, s52 1993skyline
    I have that same car same year and it had the same motor until recently. If I were to do it over again i would wait and buy one with the m50 not the m20 its severely under powered compared to the m50 or m52. The m20 also has a very weak cooling system and if it overheats your head gasket will blow and has a high probability to crack the head. thats what happened to mine thats why im in the middle of an s52 swap also if you wanted to swap for an m50/s52 there are a lot more modifications you would have to do to make it work then if you already had an m50 in the car already. Also 2900 seems high i was able to get mine for under $1000us.

My Cars
    1991 BMW e34 525i
    Tbh I know a lot of people here are claiming 2900 is upper price range but the Canadian market is not the US market.

There's not nearly as many e34s available in Canada and even less that haven't been destroyed by winters here.

Also, with the rise in popularity of e30s, e34s have also gained reputation and prices are getting dragged up.

I've seen worse examples in Ontario sell for more.

2900CAD would be a decent price even with the m20.

There are a lot of people out there who snatched up mint e30s for pennies back in the good ol' days, but goodluck finding those deals now. Same can be said for e34s.

My 2cents.

Last edited by Philth; 06-28-2017 at 02:21 PM.

My Cars
    1995 E34 530iT
    How's the S52 swap going so far? I had the opportunity to pick up my cousins '95 E34 with 264km for free but it wouldn't start so it was either crap plugs or EFI and I didn't want to have a 4 gear auto trans. Sorta regret it at times, but the car was in rough shape. House paint used as car paint. Having the M50 was the real advantage
    Last edited by TimeAstronaut; 06-28-2017 at 02:49 PM.

My Cars
    e34 525, s52 1993skyline
    How's the S52 swap going so far? I had the opportunity to pick up my cousins '95 E34 with 264km for free but it wouldn't start so it was either crap plugs or EFI and I didn't want to have a 4 gear auto trans. Sorta regret it at times
    its going well i ordered the plug converter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/262925190449) yesterday and should be able to fire it up this weekend with any luck and then its time to take it to the body shop for a nice new paint job.

My Cars
    1990's BMW dealership
    Quote Originally Posted by Philth View Post
    Tbh I know a lot of people here are claiming 2900 is upper price range but the Canadian market is not the US market.

There's not nearly as many e34s available in Canada and even less that haven't been destroyed by winters here.

Also, with the rise in popularity of e30s, e34s have also gained reputation and prices are getting dragged up.

I've seen worse examples in Ontario sell for more.

2900CAD would be a decent price even with the m20.

There are a lot of people out there who snatched up mint e30s for pennies back in the good ol' days, but goodluck finding those deals now. Same can be said for e34s.

My 2cents.

What this guy said. Other than the five speed 525i in Edmonton, this is about the nicest e34 in Alberta for sale at the moment. (Not counting the M5's).

I don't think there is a lot of risk there. e34's are tanks.

My Cars
    1984 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan36 View Post
    I have that same car same year and it had the same motor until recently. If I were to do it over again i would wait and buy one with the m50 not the m20 its severely under powered compared to the m50 or m52. The m20 also has a very weak cooling system and if it overheats your head gasket will blow and has a high probability to crack the head. thats what happened to mine thats why im in the middle of an s52 swap also if you wanted to swap for an m50/s52 there are a lot more modifications you would have to do to make it work then if you already had an m50 in the car already. Also 2900 seems high i was able to get mine for under $1000us.
    This is a good advise.... You will have more options on a m50 E34. I swap a s50 ,5 speed trans put some coils and it put a big smile on my face everytime i drive it... GL on you search.