Thread: Would not start, please help for the love of the Bimmer GODS

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi

Would not start, please help for the love of the Bimmer GODS

So this all started with a Misfire that end up becoming a blown head gaskets (got some nice pictures). So I manage to replace the head gasket, head bolts, clean the valve stem, clean the head and so on......Finally the engine and every thing else is put back together in order. I go to start (#1) the vehicle and it crank as if the battery is dying. At first it would crank but then all you heard was a click noise with the head lights flash at the same damn time. Go to Autozone and get the battery check and charged. Now that the Battery is good I attempt to start (#2) again. Only now its cranks but does not start. Same noise (click) but louder.

So far what I have done is checked the E-box ( all fuses are good). Tapped the starter with a hammer, charged the battery, used a separate key. I am lost here. The timing on the engine was never moved. Can someone give me some input...

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    How do you remove the cylinder head without moving the timing? That is not possible without the special tools to lock the cams and crank. Have you tried to turn the engine by hand with a ratchet? Does the engine actually turn over when cranking? Have someone look at the belts when you try to start your car. If it just goes click click click and won't turn over I'd try jumping it or get a new battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi
    so when removing the head I used all the proper tools. Even when placing the Vanos back on i used the proper tool. I attempted to jump it with my other vehicles and nothing. I'm going to try to manually move the engine. What does that mean if the belts do not move?

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    It could mean that a valve is hitting a piston and blocking rotation. But since you had rotation previously that should not be the case.

You've messed with a lot in the cylinder head R&R. Now you need to follow Mechanic's Rule: "When something goes bad, look at what you touched last." That will be quite a bit in your case, but IMHO that's where you are - a bad connection or possibly a bad battery from sitting. Get your battery load tested, it's usually free, and might save you a lot of midnight hair-pulling while you try figure out what, if anything, went back together wrong.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325xi
    Honolulu....so that is what I exactly did. Went to get the battery load tested. Came back charged and a good bill of health with it. Went home connected it and now it just cranks. Rotated the engine manually. I've checked for fuel, spark at the coils. I even did a leak down test. All cylinder showed moderate loss of pressure. I'm not going to pull my hair cause its short but they are turning gray. I'm stuck here.

My Cars
    03 M3 00 740i 98 528i
    If all cylinders are showing a moderate loss of pressure....you're timing is considerably off, or, you have bent/damaged valves.
    2000 740i - 149K - Dville Monsoon rear deck speaker upgrade, GROM audio Bluetooth
    1998 528i - 204K - GROM audio Bluetooth setup, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, BSW Stage One speaker kit, Facelift Xenon's with Angel Eyes
    2003 M3 - 210K - BMW Euro Cross Drilled Rotors

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Timing won't affect leak down test. It would affect compression test though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk