Thread: How to park an m roadster for 8-12 months

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

How to park an m roadster for 8-12 months

Due to Achilles surgery I will be unable to drive my roadster for a while. It's already been sitting for two months on a battery charger but I need to figure out what simple things I could do to keep it ready to drive when I'm able to use both feet again.
    My wheel bolts require more torque than your honda makes.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Make sure to disconnect the battery and put in some fuel stabilizer. If you have jack-stands (and some help ), you can put her up on them or very slightly over inflate the tires to avoid possible flat spots. Other members will likely have suggestions as well! Best of luck and speed recovery!
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by esses View Post
    Due to Achilles surgery I will be unable to drive my roadster for a while. It's already been sitting for two months on a battery charger but I need to figure out what simple things I could do to keep it ready to drive when I'm able to use both feet again.
    You can call me to come over to take your roadster for a spin each month
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ProductUser View Post
    You can call me to come over to take your roadster for a spin each month
    Lol this might be a possibility for reals. Maybe you and bimmer breaker can take the cars one day.
    My wheel bolts require more torque than your honda makes.

My Cars
    z3
    Yeah I was gonna say - loan it to me!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Top off fuel
    Battery tender/trickle charger
    Inflate tires to about 50 psi
    stuff steel wool in the air intake and exhaust tips. Some say to put dryer sheets in and around the car to ward off critters, especially in the engine bay as some rodents seem to really like chewing on electrical cables.
    Last edited by KBH22102; 06-26-2017 at 08:06 PM.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Fuel stabilizer. Run engine to ensure fresh treated fuel.
    Jack stands and install a cat to kill rodents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Add Stabil and fill the tank. Drive a quarter tank or so. Change the oil and filter. Vacuum the interior and wipe down all interior surfaces with a damp microfiber rag to remove any dust, rinsing and wringing frequently. Clean the leather with a leather cleaner and treat with a leather conditioner. Wipe down the vinyl and rubber with the dressing of your choice (Armorall, Meguiers, etc.). Clean the windshield and widows with a good glass cleaner and paper towels. Wash and dry the car (dry the wheels, jams, inside the doors, under the deck lid, and under the hood as well). Hand wax it. Leave the top up. Apply tire foam, wipe any excess of the wheels. Put the battery on a floating trickle charge and leave the charger out from under the cover so you can check it periodically. Overfill the tires to 50 lbs. Lay down some visqueen under it and extending a foot in each direction beyond it. Put desiccant packs on pie tins on top of rags on the floors (Fresh Step Crystals kitty litter will do). Do NOT set the emergency brake. Stuff rags into the exhaust tips and air intake. Set out plenty of mouse traps and rat poison. Leave the hood unlatched so you don't have to open the door to get under it--if you must disturb it at all. Cover it, and cover the cover with an old bed sheet (to keep dust off the cover). Assuming you have to remove the antenna in order to cover it, place the antenna in the trunk. Try and leave it completely alone the entire time it's in storage, other than to check on the charger.

When it's time to revive it, fold up the bed sheet carefully so as not to spread any dust and discard. Remember to let air out of the tires to your preferred pressure. Discard the desiccant. Remove the rags from the exhaust tips and air intake. Check under the hood for any evidence of rodent nests. Clean up the mouse traps and rat poison. Put your antenna back on. Top off the gas at your earliest opportunity. Thank yourself for having washed and waxed it before putting it away and for NOT setting the emergency brake.
    Last edited by Mr Bingley; 06-26-2017 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Suggestion to fill the fuel tank comes from older cars to prevent rusting of fuel tank. Not the issue on z3 as it has plastic fuel tank.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post
    Suggestion to fill the fuel tank comes from older cars to prevent rusting of fuel tank. Not the issue on z3 as it has plastic fuel tank.
    For me it's simply to get the right proportions with the Stabil, and to assure a thorough mix in the filling process. Also, I have noticed that, invariably, after I add the Stabil, and before I put it away, there turns out to be one more good 1/4 tank day to drive it than I thought, and it's nice to have enough gas to take advantage of that.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by deni2s View Post

Filling the tank reduces the possibility of condensation forming.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    For me it's simply to get the right proportions with the Stabil, and to assure a thorough mix in the filling process. Also, I have noticed that, invariably, after I add the Stabil, and before I put it away, there turns out to be one more good 1/4 tank day to drive it than I thought, and it's nice to have enough gas to take advantage of that.

I had to store mine for about the same amount of time due to recovery from fractured vertebraes and did everything above except keep a full tank of gas. When I went to start it it wouldn't, I had no fuel pressure. Pulled the pump and all the plastic was disintegrated. I wonder if a full tank would have prevented this?

Esses I hope your recovery is going well.

My Cars
    00 EG M Coupe
    Another thing I would do is remove the rear view mirror just in case it starts leaking, wouldn't want that chemical to stain the interior.
    WTB: Z3 M Coupe - G-Power front splitters, driver's side door panel

WTB: E36 M3 Coupe - CF Roof plug, LTW Spoiler

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmaflac View Post
    Another thing I would do is remove the rear view mirror just in case it starts leaking, wouldn't want that chemical to stain the interior.
    For auto dim mirrors maybe, most have manual dim and for them that's not an issue.