Thread: Are the early '97 & '98 cats more desirable?

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Are the early '97 & '98 cats more desirable?

M52 engine.
    I seem to remember reading this somewhere, perhaps here.
    I'm debating selling or scrapping some of these.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    I can't answer your question. Get a scrap price first, then decide if it's better to sell them whole to some one who may still use them (if still connected to pipes). Locally I don't get hardly anything for cats any more. Online places seemed to have gone away.

I think I got about $35 for 99 528 cats (on the manifold type).

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I've got 2 good pre-cats connected to the exhaust manifold lying on the garage floor for over a year.
    Last time I checked I think I could get $50 each for them from the scrap place that deals with buying them.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Are the early '97 & '98 cats more desirable?
    I think you are confusing the issue of facelift pre-cat configurations w/ the actual cats themselves.

It's not the cats theselves are inherently desirable its the exhaust manifolds that are 'desirable'... sorta... i.e. the pre-facelift cars have straight exhaust manifolds with just a main cat under the car, while the facelifted cars have pre-cats integrated to more restrictive exhaust manifolds as well as the cat that's under the car.

Yes maybe some guy might want your pre-facelift manifolds, however, honestly with the cheap plentiful nature of eBay headers for the M5x motors, its hard to justify bothering with all the labor to install those when you can go eBay headers instead. IMO it wouldn't be a worthwhile mod for that reason unless the motor was apart already, and I got the cat-less manifolds for free, but maybe somebody would feel different...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    I think you are confusing the issue of facelift pre-cat configurations w/ the actual cats themselves.

It's not the cats theselves are inherently desirable its the exhaust manifolds that are 'desirable'... sorta... i.e. the pre-facelift cars have straight exhaust manifolds with just a main cat under the car, while the facelifted cars have pre-cats integrated to more restrictive exhaust manifolds as well as the cat that's under the car.

Yes maybe some guy might want your pre-facelift manifolds, however, honestly with the cheap plentiful nature of eBay headers for the M5x motors, its hard to justify bothering with all the labor to install those when you can go eBay headers instead. IMO it wouldn't be a worthwhile mod for that reason unless the motor was apart already, and I got the cat-less manifolds for free, but maybe somebody would feel different...

Thanks, that makes sense.
    I'll keep the exh manifolds then and scrap the cats. Hate to scrap good cats as while I'm doing so some poor schmuck is being hosed over at Midas for some crapola aftermarket ones to pass emissions.
    If any of you guys want these cats speak now, just looking for scrap value.
    Last edited by ross1; 06-27-2017 at 09:19 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue