Thread: URGENT - Spray Adhesive / Glue for Replacement Sunroof Headliner Material?

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997

URGENT - Spray Adhesive / Glue for Replacement Sunroof Headliner Material?

I recently got some headliner replacement fabric from Bill Stauffer at Headliner Express in Florida, who is recommended by the 8-Series community as the best guy to replace your old, sagging fabric with its deteriorating foam underlay and dried out glue. (Right now this is happening only on the two sunroof panels in my 1991 850.)

Apparently it's critical to get a replacement fabric that is sized just so, because the available space in the sunroof panels is (of course) non-standard, and if you put the wrong stuff in, it will jam up.

Wish I could take the car to him to have him do the job, but the trip is too far for this. Anyway, Bill told me that, natch, the original material is NLA, but that he offers a new color-matched suede-like fabric that will do the job, and I bought a suitable length of it.

The problem now is to determine exactly which adhesive product to use to attach the new single layer fabric directly to the metal of the two sunroof panels. I am unable to get an answer from Bill about this (professional secret? :-) ).

3M makes a spray adhesive that comes in light, medium or heavy. There are undoubtedly other products available. How to choose?

My need is urgent, because the car goes to Mike at Northeast Motorsports on Wednesday, and since I'm providing the fabric, any suggestions I can offer him regarding the glue would be helpful.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-- E36Ron

My Cars
    '93 e31 850, '07 e60 525
    Its relatively easy, pick one that's high temperature, and spend a decent amount, or you'll be getting it done again! I recovered my liner and shelf myself, the material came with a couple of cans of high temperature adhesive but I'd used it all by the time I got to the shelf so I used a cheap one that didnt say high temp that I had lying around. 3 years later my headlining shows no sign of sag but the shelf material starting flapping when the windows were open after about a month.

- - - Updated - - -

High temperature contact adhesive that you brush on also works quite well for the metal panel, my brother-in-law used that on his. I think the brand was Bondloc, but I'm not sure.
    If I had a penny for everytime someone commented on my poor fuel economy, I'd have enough to get it to the petrol station.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    The material directly applied to the metal sunroof lid should actually be mounted to that foam piece. I bought headliner-specific spray adhesive from Autozone. I believe it is made by 3M (orange can). It is super high temp and works really well. Expect to pay between $16-$20 per can - I went through 2-1/2 cans.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    84 633, 91 M5, 91 850
    Could you provide more info on the material used? I'm also going to be doing this job soon, was hoping to use original material but it too bad it's NLA.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I checked. It is made by PERMATEX and is labeled as "Headliner Adhesive" - all I can say is this stuff is strong.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    84 633, 91 M5, 91 850
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    I checked. It is made by PERMATEX and is labeled as "Headliner Adhesive" - all I can say is this stuff is strong.
    Thanks! I actually meant what headliner material is used, but that is also helpful.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by David9999999 View Post
    Thanks! I actually meant what headliner material is used, but that is also helpful.
    As the first post states, Headliner Express is supposed to be the place to go for our e31s. I plan on doing this as well (I have just been putting it off because I am afraid of breaking tabs on my pillar covers and turning a 1 day job into a week).
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    Not first hand experience but from what I heard a lot of e31 guys are putting the original headliner in a washer and hang dry it then reuse the same material. Why not do that? I want the original OEM look and color with a perfect match.

Thank you, for all the info on the adhesive. I am gonna order a couple of cans of TxGR8White recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloRock View Post
    As the first post states, Headliner Express is supposed to be the place to go for our e31s. I plan on doing this as well (I have just been putting it off because I am afraid of breaking tabs on my pillar covers and turning a 1 day job into a week).

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    Yes, Permatex "Agent Orange".
    It's at the top of the list, and enjoys a slight edge over number two,
    but it still won't help you if your surfaces are disintegrating.
    Hence the value of new material vs old.

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    a 6 pack of Permatex "Agent Orange" ordered.

I am going on hunt for good new material locally (Bay Area).

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
    Yes, Permatex "Agent Orange".
    It's at the top of the list, and enjoys a slight edge over number two,
    but it still won't help you if your surfaces are disintegrating.
    Hence the value of new material vs old.

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I would take it to a shop, honestly. Remove and prep the board yourself, but let them spray it. Any decent shop will use contact cement sprayed out of a gun and not a can. The stuff you buy online or in stores (at least here in CA) are not really up to the task. The exception being V&S 1081, but you will have to order it online.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    850 CSI
    agree with toomanyparts.........for a shop it is just a few hours work and it will be perfect (just prep all yourself..... saves a lot of time you do not have to pay). Removal I would always do myself, most shops never seen an 850 so 100% sure they will brake something.
    BMW 850 CSI march 1994 (EU spec), SOLD. https://www.classiccars-forsale.com/...94-bmw-850csi/
    BMW 850 CSI november 1994 (EU spec)

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I was searching for a few years searching for headliner material, and finally just said screw it. I went to Jo Ann Fabrics and bought light grey suede ( very close to OEM color). The material cost me about $65 for enough material to do EVERYTHING. It came out really well, and I am more than satisfied.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    You may want to give Veteran Company a call. They are not the cheapest, but they have a ton of different materials available and specifically cater to the euro market cars.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alex840 View Post
    Not first hand experience but from what I heard a lot of e31 guys are putting the original headliner in a washer and hang dry it then reuse the same material. Why not do that? I want the original OEM look and color with a perfect match.
    forget it, that is a mess. I have done about 20 headliners on E31, E32, E34, E36, the problem is the foam which disintegrates and when you remove the headliner material you have either slimy red stuff there or stuff like sand grains on the back side of the headliner material = the foam disintegrated and rest of the old glue. See pics on my website below.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1991 850i S70 6 speed
    Shogun, thanks for chiming in well noted. I will get new material.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    forget it, that is a mess. I have done about 20 headliners on E31, E32, E34, E36, the problem is the foam which disintegrates and when you remove the headliner material you have either slimy red stuff there or stuff like sand grains on the back side of the headliner material = the foam disintegrated and rest of the old glue. See pics on my website below.

My Cars
    E36 , E31 1991, E31 1997
    SOLVED -- Great Job Done By Mike at Northeast Motorsports, Mahwah, NJ

OK, here's the scoop:

1. The fabric: this is the fabric to get (choose the correct color):

https://www.headlinerexpress.com/imp...rd-p-2431.html

Get it from Bill Stauffer at Headliner Express' website at the above link.

2. Bill gets it from Veteran Company in Los Angeles, California, 620 Gladys Avenue, 90021, tel 323-937-2233, who drop ships it to your door. It is exactly the right thickness to use to replace the combination of OEM fabric plus foam, but it comes without the foam, and glues directly to whatever surfaces you need after you have cleaned off all the sticky or dusty old deteriorated foam.

3. The correct glue to use is 3M Super 77, as per Harry at Veteran Company, who says this Unisuede fabric is OEM grade. (It sure looks it on the car.)

4. If you're in Northern New Jersey, the place to go is Mike O'Neill's Northeast Motorsport in Mahwah, 6 Leighton Place, 07430, tel 201-485-7800. Mike works ONLY on BMWs, has 20 years' hands-on experience with all models, knows 8-Series inside and out, electronics, mechanicals, body adjusments (sunroofs, etc), and is a Dinan Dealer.

This is what the outside of Mike's place looked like, the day I went there:

Attachment 605312

Note the OTHER 8-Series he happened to have there that day besides mine (which is the blue tail at left of picture). I think the astounding variety and number of BMWs he's got in progress there speaks volumes for his reputation. I was certainly delighted with the job I got from Mike. He knows BMWs.

Thanks to all on this forum who contributed helpful and useful information to this thread.

Best,

-- E36Ron

1996 328iC/A
    1991 850i
    1997 850Ci
    Last edited by E36Ron; 07-19-2017 at 12:58 AM.