Thread: New Bimmer owner

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745i

New Bimmer owner

Hey there bimmerforums, newb here. I just bought a 2005 BMW 745i....wait for it, it gets better.....for $700. It wasn't running when I bought it but after paying $100 to get it towed back to my house and my mechanic taking a look at it and beating the computer over the head with his tablet he got her running. She of course hated us both for waking her up and gave us the bifecta of ABS failure symptoms: DSC inactive, ABS fault lights and the occasional "Transmission fail safe mode" and "Engine Malfunction Reduced Power". Now, my mechanic says that the abs is bad. Fine, I'll buy it and pay him to fix it but before I do all that I want to know: If she drives like a brand new car, handles turns better than a Miata (Yeah yeah, I know those little things are fiesty but I hate them without ever actually having driven one so sue me), accelerates like she's trying to beat everyone to McDonald's, smokes only if I let her sit running for longer than 5 minutes and has an abs module and DSC module that look like they just came off the line (mind you pretty much the whole car besides the front bumper looks like that) why would she need a new ABS module? I know it's a stupid question, it's a bimmer, you give her a dirty look and her bumper falls off just to spite you. Mind you, this is my first Bimmer and I have only had her a week but I walked into this knowing how big these cars' attitudes are. So, in the slightly alterted immortal words of Carrie Fischer's Princess Leia: Help me Bimmer Wan Kenobi(s) you're kinda my only hope.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    You've got to love her to keep her because at her age she's going to drain your wallet for more money than what's she's worth. Not saying it's not worth spending the money but the actual street value of the car should you want to sell isn't going to yield you much compared to the repair costs. That being said, the 7 series is a special car. Not sure if I would want to part with either of mine.
    Last edited by toomann; 06-29-2017 at 02:06 AM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745i
    I was able to get into the secret menu despite the dash cluster being feisty. I was even able to make it go into test mode and once I pulled the key and started her up the speedometer worked for like 10 seconds before quitting although my odometer (which said 135k when I bought her, said 71k then went black and popped back up and said 135k again. No tamper dot by the way) My intention is to drive this car til she keels over. The interior is flawless and the exterior is almost perfect besides the fact that she's lowered and takes speed bumps like a fat horse trying to clear a hurdle. She's got a couple scratches and the front bumper plainly says "The idiot who drove me before parked over a parking median and then backed up and almost yanked me off". But otherwise you would think this thing was a rental in a past life. I mean, the engine bay is spotless. Like I said the abs and DTC are both immaculate. I have no clue how they could be faulty. I mean, everything responds like it should. The steering even loosened up after I put her in test mode. She just has a hard time starting with the group 65 battery I have in her.

- - - Updated - - -

Besides I know a guy who isn't charging me an arm and a leg for repairs. All I do is buy the parts and he charges me a third of the labor costs mostly because he's my brother in law and told me if i this car he will fix her but only if i don't sell it.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 745i
    Replaced the battery with an H8 battery, now my power steering is back full time and everything feels normal but my abs and dtc are both lit up along with the check engine light

My Cars
    2006 750li
    Quote Originally Posted by Thehuntsman View Post
    Replaced the battery with an H8 battery, now my power steering is back full time and everything feels normal but my abs and dtc are both lit up along with the check engine light
    Its your abs module. The solder points in there usually go bad from heat. Its 6 bolts. Unplug your battery take it out. And send it to my airbags,com. Theyll fix it for about 150$ tops. Put it back in and youre good to go. If you replace it or buy a new one. You have to reprogram it. In case you didnt figure out your problem yet.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 760 Li 1991ZR1
    Hello,

Lucky you wish I found my Bimmer for that price. Good you have a mechanic that knows what he's doing. When I bought my 760LI I changed all my fluids.
    Keep your mechanic and you will be fine.

Manfred E....
    2004 760LI
    my 760 LI.jpg