Thread: Door Card Insert Vinyl Re-wrap - Early Panels (OBD1)

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO

Door Card Insert Vinyl Re-wrap - Early Panels (OBD1)

I picked-up a couple of Dove Grey door panels from a newer side-airbag car to re-place my original non-airbag panels. I had the infamous vinyl shrinking around the map pockets as well as some damage to my drivers door card. The replacement panels were in better shape with the exception of the driver's insert which has a lot of cracking from the PO using the arm rest.

I kept usable parts from the original panels including the non-airbag door inserts. The price of coupe door cards in good condition keeps going up so I like to keep a stash of usable replacement parts in case I have a future need. The vinyl on my original inserts had shrunk too so I removed them in hopes of a future re-wrap. I decided to tackle it today with the use of some high-quality Landau Top & Trim adhesive. While not a professional job by any means, I think the driver's insert came out well so I intend to re-vinyl the passenger side and rear convertible panels.

I picked-up a couple yards of light grey marine vinyl (#71652939) from Joann Fabrics. I had a 40% off coupon so it was $11.99/yd which is a decent price for fabric-backed marine grade vinyl. It's not the same cream color as the original Dove Grey inserts, but it matches the darker grey door cards well and hopefully won't show the dirt the same way the lighter original vinyl does.

First I stripped the original vinyl off the inserts and sanded them smooth to remove the previous adhesive residue:

Untitled by Twistytee, on Flickr

I did the same with the rear door cards and cleaned them with lacquer thinner. They are made of a more durable molded plastic material compared to the front inserts which are a compressed fiber board material.

I chose to paint the front drivers insert in the hopes it would provide better surface prep for the contact cement. I'm not sure this was necessary as the solvent in the contact cement loosens the paint during the application process. I will probably skip it and apply directly to the fiber board for the passenger side insert in the same way the factory applied the adhesive.

I used the following DAP industrial contact cement for adhesive. It's designed to apply vinyl tops to the exterior of cars and has a high temperature rating for that application as well as interior trim pieces. Unfortunately the smallest container it comes in is a gallon and it's only available at upholstery supply houses. It's intended to be used with a spray applicator, but it can also be applied with a brush.

I used cheap disposable paint brushes from Lowe's and applied to both the door insert and the fabric-backed vinyl. The instructions say to wait 5 to 10 minutes so that it dries prior to bonding the two materials together. I waited about 15 mins due to the humidity. Note the fumes from this stuff are very potent. I wore a a 3M paint respirator with 6001 cartridges. I also used nitrile gloves and worked outdoors.

Brushed on door insert and allowed to dry. Note the light grey marine vinyl has been cut and sized to the door insert so that it's easier to apply once the adhesive is brushed on.

Brushed on back of vinyl:

Applied slowly working right to left - starting with the complex curve to the left of the arm rest area and moving across to the door handle cut-out and the location of the mirror switch. I had a helper hold the vinyl as I worked to lay small sections at a time. I also used a wallpaper trim roller and a smoothing tool to help lay the vinyl flat. I then used an x-acto knife to cut relief strips on the reverse side of the panel insert. This allowed me to fold the vinyl flat along the curved sections.

Relief cuts on the rear of panel insert. They're not as "pretty" as the scalloped edges used by the factory, but they get the job done.

Factory edge:

Finished panel insert. I plan to let it cure for a few days and will then install it on the door card. The vinyl seems to be holding much better than when I tried to repair the old vinyl using 3M Super 77 spray and regular contact cement from the hardware store. There are some small wrinkles when examining it up close but it's a dramatic improvement over what I was dealing with previously.

I'll update the thread again once I install the hardware and get them mounted to the door panels in the car.
    Last edited by Twistytee; 07-08-2017 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Repair photo links

My Cars
    99 M3

Door Card Insert Vinyl Re-wrap - Early Panels (OBD1)

I'm amazed that the fabric layed into the complex contours of the door panel insert. Nice job!!!
    I've been under the impression that the leather/fabric was pre- formed then bonded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-25-2017 at 09:54 PM.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Thanks.

It seems the consensus is it was vacuum bonded by the factory or supplier. That would make sense since it would eliminate/minimize any air pockets behind the vinyl. The old vinyl I pulled off did appear preformed, but hard to tell. When I first tried this with 3M spray adhesive, the vinyl let go overnight. I'm hoping the Landau solvent based adhesive provides a permanent bond and it keeps it shape. Time will tell.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Looks great. How does the insert detach from the main door panel?
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    3M super trim adhesive is a similar product and available in aerosol and smaller containers.

Same purpose- used to attach vinyl tops. I used it exclusively when I was recovering amps and speaker cabinets.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Quote Originally Posted by E36328Coupe View Post
    Looks great. How does the insert detach from the main door panel?
    On the early panels, the insert is glued to the door card. I used a heat gun and slowly heated the rear of the door panel while applying light upward pressure to the perimeter of the insert. If you work slowly and are careful with the heat, the glue will release and you can separate the two without damaging them. For the later panels, there are plastic rivets that need to be cut loose in order for the insert to separate.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    Sounds like I have the early ones

Thanks
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I picked-up a couple of Dove Grey door panels from a newer side-airbag car to re-place my original non-airbag panels. I had the infamous vinyl shrinking around the map pockets as well as some damage to my drivers door card. The replacement panels were in better shape with the exception of the driver's insert which has a lot of cracking from the PO using the arm rest...
    Twisty I can't see your pics; is it me?
    Rick
    <><

1993 325is - The New Daily?
    1998 323is - The Daily Beater
    1995 530i - The Alternate Beater
    1995 540i/6 Touring - Lord Borthwick
    1995 540i - The Donor & Parts Locker - Finally sent to the Crusher - RIP

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerick View Post
    Twisty I can't see your pics; is it me?
    Photobucket stopped allowing 3rd party hosting, they're broken for everyone.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Yeah. They're going down the tubes quick. Last ditch effort seems to be holding our photo albums hostage and demanding a $399 year subscription for 3rd party hosting features. I should have started using a different host a couple of years ago when their site got so slow and riddled with bad pop up ads. I'll move the photos for this thread over to a different host as I plan to update it when I put the re-wrapped inserts on the panels and reinstall in the car.

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Quote Originally Posted by mslevin View Post
    Photobucket stopped allowing 3rd party hosting, they're broken for everyone.
    Yeah. They're going down the tubes quick. Last ditch effort seems to be holding our photo albums hostage and demanding a $399 year subscription for 3rd party hosting features. I should have started using a different host a couple of years ago when their site got so slow and riddled with bad pop up ads. I'll move the photos for this thread over to a different host as I plan to update it when I put the re-wrapped inserts on the panels and reinstall in the car.
    I apologize for the thread hijack, but...

Wow, I had no idea. I have been linking my photos from PB on this forum and others for years. This is crazy. I am sitting here totally flabbergasted; so unless PB "changes their mind" OR I pay $399 a year extortion to PB, basically all my photo links in every forum thread I've ever written will be broken... Terrible business decision; if PB sticks to this policy, they will surely go under.
    Rick
    <><

1993 325is - The New Daily?
    1998 323is - The Daily Beater
    1995 530i - The Alternate Beater
    1995 540i/6 Touring - Lord Borthwick
    1995 540i - The Donor & Parts Locker - Finally sent to the Crusher - RIP

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Slowly going through the process of replacing the photobucket links on some of my threads. Note I have not yet installed the refinished vinyl inserts in the car, but the Landau adhesive appears to be holding nicely. The first time I tried this using 3M spray adhesive, the vinyl had already started pulling away within 24 hours of installing. Hope to get these in the car soon.

My Cars
    328i,740i,e36 m3 x2,e46
    Slowly going through the process of replacing the photobucket links on some of my threads. Note I have not yet installed the refinished vinyl inserts in the car, but the Landau adhesive appears to be holding nicely. The first time I tried this using 3M spray adhesive, the vinyl had already started pulling away within 24 hours of installing. Hope to get these in the car soon.
    I recently did this same thing except used suede on the inserts. Should have seen when i tried to copy the fancy relief cuts the factory made...lol good thing i bought extra!

Yours look great! I restore panels all the time. I have built up a graveyard of like 40 coupe panels I pull parts off of lol so handy

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 328ic
    Reviving a dead thread.. I know.

I've just gotten my door card inserts reupholstered but I can't figure out what product to use to re-adhere the insert to the door card. OP, did you use the same spray adhesive?

My Cars
    325is
    tomcoppola, Nice find, Mine been sitting off the car for 5 years. But as you probably also have the door vinyl is also peeling and the trim cannot sit back flush on the door. But if you are able to put it on flush , contact cement is also good but not as critical as it only needs to hold the panel on not bond it to the fiber board contours.