My Cars
    2010 BMW X5 35d

Vehicle Battery Caution

Twice this week I have gotten the Vehicle "Battery discharging while stopped. Turn off unnecessary electrical consumers. Reset date and time if required. In case of repeat occurrence, have the system checked by your BMW dealer" caution, any ideas why? The battery was replaced in 11/15. I am in AZ, temps have been ~115 deg, maybe that's why? In any event, planning a trip to CA this weekend and I am a bit concerned. If I run the car a few minutes, shut it off, the message goes away.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Pull the car's codes, it'll give you a good place to start troubleshooting.
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    Where did you have the battery replaced? Was it properly registered in the vehicle when it was changed? A proper diagnosis is needed. The battery could be on it's way out again (which could be due to a number of different reasons, i.e. short trips, it wasn't registered, a battery drain, etc).
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 525it
    How old is the battery loosing time is the first sign the battery is done. Replace it with the exact same type. And register it. Also don't listen to the radio unless the engine is running. These new battery's don't have very much reserve power, you can get the discharge message quickly. If this vehicle is only driven on short trips ar around town you need a battery tender.

My Cars
    2010 BMW X5 35d
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Where did you have the battery replaced? Was it properly registered in the vehicle when it was changed? A proper diagnosis is needed. The battery could be on it's way out again (which could be due to a number of different reasons, i.e. short trips, it wasn't registered, a battery drain, etc).
    Battery was replaced in Oct 15', purchased from Batteries Plus. I installed it then immediately had it registered at the BMW repair facility I go to (indy). Car does do short drives, 8 mii round trip is average I I think. I have it at the indy now, they charged the battery overnight to test it.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Short drives are killing the battery, you need a battery tender. If you do energy diagnostics you will see your not driving the car enough.